Rumor: Roslovic trade

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He's a good player, high skill level.

But only avg 10 goals per season?

Saw highlights of all the goals he scored last season. And 90 percent are tap ins/empty nets. And he goes crazy like its a game 7 OT goal lol

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
He’s not a top 6 player and doesn’t play like a bottom 6 player. He won’t return much if he’s traded.
I disagree with the first 2 points. His offensive development has definitely been stunted by playing on a shutdown line but he's still got skill. IMO he needs to get used to playing with skilled players again. I also think he's been alright on the third line.

But I agree he won't return much. Good young players stuck behind star players are the perfect buy low opportunity GMs should always be looking for. Seth Jones was a good example of that (not that Roslovic is anywhere near that level). Whoever gets him will get at the very least a middle 6 forward who's cheap both in acquisition cost and salary cost.

Reactions: hn777

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
But only avg 10 goals per season?

Saw highlights of all the goals he scored last season. And 90 percent are tap ins/empty nets. And he goes crazy like its a game 7 OT goal lol

The Jets play a 2 scoring line, checking line, 5 min a night "energy" line. If you're not in the top 6 you don't score, and he's rarely in the top 6 unless there is an injury.

Third line he's used as a fourth line player on most teams, 4th line you never sniff the ice.

He also plays on PP2 which gets minimal ice time and is kind of a throwaway assembly of players. Same reason Ehlers outscored every Jets player 5v5(and was 10th in the league) but was outscored total by Connor, Laine and Scheif.

Roslovic has solid upside, could be a good offense 2nd line RWer. He's not going to be a 1st line player but he could definitely score more with a better opportunity.

If we do trade him I'd rather it be to a team with a bunch of young dmen that need some wingers. Even if we had to throw in a small plus. We have some good young dmen but another kick at the can can never hurt.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
How about Siegenthaler from the Caps? They're probably gonna have to trade Panik or Hagelin, so Roslovic would be a cheap enough replacement for them to still be able to fill out their roster. Could add one of those guys to the deal if the Jets want a replacement for Roslovic who won't mind a 3rd line role.

Reactions: benbenthelava

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
How about Siegenthaler from the Caps? They're probably gonna have to trade Panik or Hagelin, so Roslovic would be a cheap enough replacement for them to still be able to fill out their roster. Could add one of those guys to the deal if the Jets want a replacement for Roslovic who won't mind a 3rd line role.
We're not giving him away, pretty underwhelming.

Reactions: hn777

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I disagree with the first 2 points. His offensive development has definitely been stunted by playing on a shutdown line but he's still got skill. IMO he needs to get used to playing with skilled players again. I also think he's been alright on the third line.

But I agree he won't return much. Good young players stuck behind star players are the perfect buy low opportunity GMs should always be looking for. Seth Jones was a good example of that (not that Roslovic is anywhere near that level). Whoever gets him will get at the very least a middle 6 forward who's cheap both in acquisition cost and salary cost.

I don't disagree with your general point, but Jones was traded for Ryan Johansen. It wasn't a buy-low situation at that time.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
One plays on our 3rd line, the other would be fighting Sbisa for popcorn in the pressbox. Exactly how does this make sense for Winnipeg?

He's comfortably better than Sbisa. Siegs is a defensively responsible #5 who's already an excellent penalty killer at 23. He played 3:11 a night on the Caps' PK, which was 6th in the NHL. He's the same age as Roslovic, and still has some upside. Probably won't ever be a top pairing defenseman, but Roslovic probably won't ever be a 1st liner either. It seems pretty even to me.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
He's comfortably better than Sbisa. Siegs is a defensively responsible #5 who's already an excellent penalty killer at 23. He played 3:11 a night on the Caps' PK, which was 6th in the NHL. He's the same age as Roslovic, and still has some upside. Probably won't ever be a top pairing defenseman, but Roslovic probably won't ever be a 1st liner either. It seems pretty even to me.
I’m Looking into him, your logic makes sense. Big LHD is what Jets need. I’d be fine with that deal.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
The Jets play a 2 scoring line, checking line, 5 min a night "energy" line. If you're not in the top 6 you don't score, and he's rarely in the top 6 unless there is an injury.

Third line he's used as a fourth line player on most teams, 4th line you never sniff the ice.

He also plays on PP2 which gets minimal ice time and is kind of a throwaway assembly of players. Same reason Ehlers outscored every Jets player 5v5(and was 10th in the league) but was outscored total by Connor, Laine and Scheif.

Roslovic has solid upside, could be a good offense 2nd line RWer. He's not going to be a 1st line player but he could definitely score more with a better opportunity.

If we do trade him I'd rather it be to a team with a bunch of young dmen that need some wingers. Even if we had to throw in a small plus. We have some good young dmen but another kick at the can can never hurt.
Well said.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Sbisa won't be playing is my point.. we have Morrissey, Samberg, Heinola, Beaulieu and Forbert on the left side. Whose he playing over? Beaulieu had basically as many points in half the games. He does nothing for us, and is a throwing away the better asset for the sake of making a trade

Reactions: Snowman

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Roslovic at least has some upside. Siegenthaler looks like a “next to zero offence” defenceman. He’d be one of the last resorts even on a D depleted team like the Jets.

Reactions: Snowman

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Sbisa won't be playing is my point.. we have Morrissey, Samberg, Heinola, Beaulieu and Forbert on the left side. Whose he playing over? Beaulieu had basically as many points in half the games. He does nothing for us, and is a throwing away the better asset for the sake of making a trade

Obviously not Morrissey, but I'd take him over Beaulieu and Forbert for sure. Samberg and Heinola are prospects, so I don't know a whole lot about how they're progressing, but it's probably safe to say Siegenthaler's better than either of them right now at the very least. I think Siegs would be a pretty good stay-at-home compliment to a smaller, more offensively oriented guy like Pionk.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Roslovic at least has some upside. Siegenthaler looks like a “next to zero offence” defenceman. He’d be one of the last resorts even on a D depleted team like the Jets.

Both guys are 23, what makes you say one has upside and the other doesn't? And DeMelo's also a "next to zero offense" defenseman. It should go without saying, but evaluating defensemen based on point totals isn't a great way of operating.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019

He's better than more than half of those players lol.

And woah Beaulieu had more points than a shutdown physical/pk/shotblocking defenseman, good on him.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Both guys are 23, what makes you say one has upside and the other doesn't? And DeMelo's also a "next to zero offense" defenseman. It should go without saying, but evaluating defensemen based on point totals isn't a great way of operating.

we already have a guy like Siegenthaler is the point.
As for the upside, siegenthaler hasn’t shown anything at any level. Do you really think he has untapped upside? He is pretty much what he is at this point. Roslo is itching to get a chance bc he knows he can be more, and most Jets Fans feel that way too. He has been a scorer at every level, and doesn’t have a good spot on the Jets bc of our deep forward corps.So yeah, it is fair to say one has untapped offensive upside while other likely does not.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I get the value being put on Roslovic. He hasn’t lived up to his potential. Expecting another team to pay for something he hasn’t been able to do doesn’t make sense.

on the other hand I see he has a lot of talent and seems like he just needs something to click mentally. I think the Jets should keep him and see if he can put it together. If he doesn’t oh well. But trading him for a bottom pair dEfenseman that they don’t need doesn’t make sense. I’d rather see how his development goes and take the chance of losing him for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad