Ror

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Hey folks,

Ranger fan here. Avalanche will be my home team once I make my permanent move next fall. Really like what the Avalanche have done and where they're going.
I was just wondering what the status is with ROR?
The only reason I ask is because the Rangers are squeezed with the cap and similarly dealing with a few RFAs. Is there any chance the Avalanche would be interested in trading ROR for someone like Staal or Brassard, J. Moore?
I think a lot of GMs are somewhat forced to make trades and be crafty with dealing important players and a Ranger/Avalanche trade doesn't sound too far fetched. Does it? Thoughts?

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Staal + Kristo / D. Moore + pick. Afraid Staal might try to join his brothers.

Would much prefer they just find a way to sign him long term.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Staal isn't where he was before his injury and on an expiring contract. I can't see a fit between the teams.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Ror probably needs to stay this season in managements eyes due to losing Staz. He really is looked upon highly here and I am hoping we see a long term deal announced soon.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Ror probably needs to stay this season in managements eyes due to losing Staz. He really is looked upon highly here and I am hoping we see a long term deal announced soon.

Tell me about it.
Rangers are in somewhat of the same situation with Staal.
Staal has been nothing but a warrior for us and would love to have him signed for another 5 years. Definitely can lead on the ice and go up against the best top forwards.
Having said that, Sather has to be entertaining trades including Staal as well as players like Brassard, J Moore. Probably prospects like Kristo, McIlrath and Fast. Sather has to feel somewhat squeezed. Idiotic signings like Glass will tend to do that.
Personally, I think Staal would easily sign a long term deal with the Avalanche. The Hurricane Bros. has been overhyped. The eye injury as well... He's a stud.
Appreciate the feedback from you guys.
So hypothetically, if Staal agreed in terms to an extension what else would it take?
Can't have Krieder or even Miller at this point. Sather's banking on him for the 3rd line.
Just curious. Thanks again.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
First option is signing O'Reilly long-term but if that doesn't happen, I'd trade him for a signed Staal and Hagelin.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Guys, Staal isn't going to renounce free agency just so the Rangers can trade him.

Signed Staal = not possible.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
The return for ROR has to be better than 2 firsts, a second, and a third.

Anything with Marc Staal as the centerpiece doesn't come close to that.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

That's for a signed ROR (the one that would accept the offer sheet).

It won't be near that much if he's not signed, especially if he accepts that dreaded 2 years arbitration contract. Teams won't unload their future for 2 years of ROR.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Actually not true. That is the minimum offersheet level that won't get matched, but if ROR does not sign an offer sheet then it won't be until the arbitration ruling that the Avs can trade him without a sign and trade in place.

If ROR takes the 2 year arbitration ruling in order to end as a free agent, it could very well be a sign he will not be looking at returning to the Avs once he hits free agency.

the trade the Avs make after the arbitration ruling may not return quite that high of value, and the Avs will need to be patient in order to find the right trade. Staal with a good chance of being re-signed could very well be the main piece in a trade like that.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What difference does a one or two year arbitration ruling mean? Going through the arbitration at all means he doesn't want to be here. I highly doubt he takes the 2 year agreement. Why would he? He wants a salary much higher than the ruling would be. Why handcuff himself to a lower salary. The team that trades for him will get him as a RFA and its not different that they would need to sign him as an RFA. It would be stupid to trade for him knowing what he is asking for in salary and not being able to provide that. A team willing to pay probably has no problems signing him. Any RFA can refuse to sign and take arbitration deals to UFA. Subban can do that. Would he not be valuable back in a trade?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Guys, Staal isn't going to renounce free agency just so the Rangers can trade him.

Signed Staal = not possible.

I didn't say it was realistic, that's just what I'd want.

I agree about Staal doing a sign and trade, it most likely won't happen.

Why is that? He's a damn good player. I thought he looked great last season, looked like he was finally fully recovered.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I highly doubt he takes the 2 year agreement. Why would he?

If his plan is to become an UFA at age 25, signing for 2 years is the answer. It also guarantees that he won't get hit with another 15% paycut in the second year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He wouldn't get a paycut. If he was still on the Avs after a one year deal then the Avs would have to qualify him at the arbitration award amount to retain his rights, then its his choice to go to arbitration or accept the QO.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
What difference does a one or two year arbitration ruling mean? Going through the arbitration at all means he doesn't want to be here. I highly doubt he takes the 2 year agreement. Why would he? He wants a salary much higher than the ruling would be. Why handcuff himself to a lower salary. The team that trades for him will get him as a RFA and its not different that they would need to sign him as an RFA. It would be stupid to trade for him knowing what he is asking for in salary and not being able to provide that. A team willing to pay probably has no problems signing him. Any RFA can refuse to sign and take arbitration deals to UFA. Subban can do that. Would he not be valuable back in a trade?

5.75m x 2 = 11.5m + UFA status
5.75m x 1 = 5.75m + RFA status and a QO @ 5.75m, which if ROR takes it to arbitration he likely gets just over 6m , the team can choose 2 years.

Essentially a 3 year deal at RFA rates < 2 year deal at RFA rates

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Or he hopes he's on a new team by then and gets his juicy extension after one year with only the risk of having to take the QO the following year anyway. Why lock yourself into the lower salary for two years if you don't have to?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Or he hopes he's on a new team by then and gets his juicy extension after one year with only the risk of having to take the QO the following year anyway. Why lock yourself into the lower salary for two years if you don't have to?

because with a 1 year deal he risks 3 losing options to the 1 option of signing the long term and large salary extension he is seeking.

1)he loses the leverage he has now by only having a 5.75m QO
2) he runs a higher risk of setting himself up for that 3 year scenario I mentioned earlier by going to arbitration and being awarded less than he would get as a UFA for 2 more seasons.
3) he could hold out again on whatever team he's on and see how that impacts that team's (as well as the other 29 teams') desire to bring him to their roster much less sign him to a large contract with a long term.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm still not seeing it. He doesn't have any leverage or options if he's already locked into the second year at say 5.75. He can't go to arbitration again by the team and if he doesn't want to risk the team electing the 2 year deal then he doesn't select to go to arbitration. He could absolutely hold out on his new team, just like he could refuse to sign an extension when his two year contract is up with them. Its either

5.75 + 5.75 no matter what

or

5.75 + x amount at least 5.75

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
This seems to me, the tack Ror and Avs are on as posturing. Arbitration won't happen, it's bad for everyone. Watch for a 5 year deal around 33million

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
So the consensus seems as though some fans want him dealt quickly or signed to a 7/8 year long deal with a cap hit of around 6.5.
So again, would Staal and Brassard be a starter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad