Rookies still in NHL camp

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Since I'm seeing people rounding the team boards for this and since the rosters are starting to get trimmed down, please post the rookies that are still attending your NHL team's camp and who have serious chances of making the team.

I'll start with Montreal:

Forwards Guillaume Latendresse and Andrei Kostsitsyn could possibly make the team and land a regular spot (probably one of them only). Maxime Lapierre and Jonathan Ferland have an outside chance of squeezing a spot as well as the 13th forwards. Jancevski and Benoit are battling for the 7th dman spot now that Cote is out with an injury. Mark Streit, althought not a rookie, should get the 6th spot while Francis Bouillon nurses an injury.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
For the Canucks, there are openings for 6th/7th defenseman and potentially 13th forward.

Bourdon: at times has looked terrific, and at time horrible. Generally has been trying to do much, but his skillset is still evident. Still has a shot at the lineup as the 6th defenseman, though realistically would do better if he had another year to mature in junior. Either way, the Canucks are almost certainly going to give him the nine game max in the regular season before sending him down, if they do at all.

Schultz: was pegged early as the Sedins right winger due to a great AHL season, but has been generally disappointing in camp. Still has a chance but as he's not a grinder, he's unlikely to stick but will be a callup if any of the scoring wingers get hurt.

Rypien: Vignault's fave so far (though I heard he got injured) and is likely the front-runner for the 13th forward spot or first-callup.

Coulombe: came out of nowhere and has a really outside shot at the 6th D role due to his stellar play in preseason. Unfortunately, he's only 5'9".

There's other rookies like Michael Grabner, Jannik Hansen, Mike Brown, Nathan McIver and Alexander Edler who don't really have a shot at a spot this year but are being kept up for the preseason for the experience and because they've had very good camps.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
From a fans perspective, Kopitar looks like a lock for the Kings. Of course, Kings management/coaching will have the final say.

O'Sullivan could make it too.

white_tiger

Sep 10, 2006
Phoenix
These are the ones still at Camp for Phoenix as far as I can tell from the news releases on who has been sent to the AHL or back to juniors

Defensemen
Keith Yandle
Matt Jones
Nick Martens

Forwards
Kevic Cormier
Ryan Garlock
Enver Lisin
Peter Mueller
Bill Thomas
Kyle Wilson

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
For the Oilers, IIRC:

Defense:
Jan Hejda (yeah, he's 28, he's still a NHL rookie though ;) )
Tom Gilbert
Sebastien Bisaillon
Ladislav Smid
Bryan Young
Mathieu Roy (got a few games a few years ago, still a rookie I think)
Danny Syvret (same boat as Roy)

Forwards:
Alexei Mikhnov
Rob Schremp
Patrick Thoresen

Jonas Almtorp
Fredrik Pettersson
Troy Bodie
Tyler Spurgeon
Not sure if they count as rookies: Jacques, Pouliot

Goaltenders:
Devan Dubnyk
Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers

Italicized players have a better shot at making the team.

julitog

Jan 18, 2004
Florida
Kopitar is looking like he has all the tools, and has really matured. Can't believe nine GM's passed on this kid after Sidney.

:dm:

Jori

Avs have 31 players left in camp.

Wolski is a lock to play on one of the Avs top two lines. Paul Stastny has had a very good camp, but there are five centers ahead of him on the depth chart. If Turgeon wasn't on the team, I think Stastny would make it. I'd rather see him get ice time in Albany rather then warm the bench in Denver. Chris Stewart is still in camp. He's played on a "Kid Line" with Stastny and Wolski. Those three have been fun to watch. Still, I expect Stewart to return to Kingston. I can't wait to see what this guy will look like a year from now. Johnny Boychuk has had a solid camp, but it's a numbers game. The Avs have eight verteran defensemen ahead of him.

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
The Caps are down to 29 players in camp; might be lower if they made any cuts after the game last night

rookies (i.e., meet definition for Calder; no more than 25 games or 6 in 2 prior seasons; not 26 by Sept 15) still in camp:
- Mike Green, expected to make the team
- Jakub Klepis (played exactly 25 NHL games last season so still qualifies as a rookie); challenging for a spot, but may start the season in Hershey due to numbers
- Tomas Fleischmann
- Jeff Schultz
- Alexandre Giroux
- Chad Wiseman (I expect he was probably cut after the game last night, unless they are keeping extra players around for the games next weekend; edit: update, yup, assigned to Hershey)

Last edited:

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Marc-Edouard Vlasic has been impressive since the prospect tourney. Safe to say he is competing for a top 6 spot in San Jose. Setoguchi is still in camp but he has been injured all summer. He will be back in Saskatoon shortly...I think the Sharks are just working closely with his knee injury. Surprise rookie still on the roster is Taylor Dakers. Talented goalie but I thought he would be among the first returned to juniors.

OCFROFAN

Sep 24, 2006
Talked to Lomabardi in Vegas on Thursday. He said that Sully has paid his dues in the AHL . Kopitar is in a different situation. Wouldnt be suprised if Kopitar starts in Manchester

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
O'Sullivan is a lock.

From the way they have performed in training camp you would think Kopitar is the one that scored 47 goals in the AHL last year and is a lock to make the club. Kopitar has looked very good in camp so far. Playing on the PK alongside Frolov and creating a lot of scoring chances. O'Sullivan has looked good too but Kopitar just looks like a veteran out there. Kopitar for Calder!!:banana:

JiriHrdina

Jul 8, 2005
Flames have a number of rookies still in camp:

Goal: Brent Krahn (though there doesn't appear to be a job for him with the big club this year)

Defense: Giordano, Regehr both in the competition for the #7 dman spot (or #6 with Warrener out for a few weeks). Giordano appears to have the inside track but both could make it if they send Brad Ference down instead (who has a 2 way contract)

Forwards: Boyd, Nystrom, Taratuhkin, Prust all still in camp, but all four could end up in the AHL with Byron Ritchie and Eric Goddard also battling for the 13/14 forward spots.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
For Minnesota:

James Sheppard is still in camp, but hasnt seen any preseason ice time...although with Pouliot, Voloshenko, and Olvecky being sent to Houston I think he'll see some time before he gets sent back to the Q...I have no idea why he is still around other than he is soaking up everything he is being taught and he is being rewarded with an extended stay.

Shawn Belle looked pretty good last week, at times his hockey sense (or lack therefore of) showed. But essentially his competition for the 8th d-man spot, erik reitz, was sent to Houston today.

so basically the last roster spot is between Belle and Joel Ward, who played with Houston last year, who he signed with out of the CIS...Lemaire has praised Ward up and down the past week for his hustle and coming to the rink everyday, whether game or practice, ready to play.

and oh ya, Josh Harding is essentially a lock at the backup spot behind Manny Fernandez.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Wings.

Jiri Hudler - will land a roster spot with the Wings
Evan McGrath - will be sent to GR
Valtteri Filppula - will likely be sent to GR
Tomas Kopecky - might land the 13th forward spot, if not he'll risk waivers on the way to GR
Darryl Bootland - might land the 13th forward spot, if not he'll risk waivers on the way to GR
Ellis - will be sent to GR

Kyle Quincey - will be sent to GR
Jonathan Ericsson - will be sent to GR
Jakub Kindl - will be sent to Kitchener

Jimmy Howard - will be sent to GR
Stefan Liv - will be sent to GR
Joey MacDonald - will stay with Wings as 3rd goalie

Mobbex

Jul 29, 2006
Montreal
Carey Price (seriously... by the best goalie in camp so far)
Latendresse (Perezhogin's spot is up for grabs)

Kostitsin, Ferland, Chipchura, Lapierre... none of these guys realy has a legitimate shot at making the team.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
adding to detroit, hudler has been playing with zetterberg and samuelsson as a test to see if it will work, im hearing its been pretty decent thus far, kinda makes us deeper too, taking out a grinder like homer and throwing him back in a 5on5 grinder situation is probably better for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->