Rookie points - J.Schultz vs Yakupov

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yakupov, I beleive he has a fire in his belly from WJC. Also Schultz may burn out not being used to this intense of schedule (knock on wood that doesnt happen)

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
Yakupov, I beleive he has a fire in his belly from WJC. Also Schultz may burn out not being used to this intense of schedule (knock on wood that doesnt happen)

What do you mean not being used to an intense schedule he plays three games in three nights sometimes in the ahl

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
That's exactly what he means. He's coming out of a league that plays ~52 games/year into a higher calibre league with more games on the schedule. So he's not used to playing 3 games a week, let alone 3 games in 3 nights, he might burn out.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

Schultz will still get prime PP minutes... Yak will have to share the time with Hemsky, Ebs, Nuge, Hall, Smyth and possibly Horcoff & Gagner.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Schultz will be the #1 point man in what will be one of the best pp's in the league.

No contest.

This. I think yaks will have some growing pains this year. He will at times get 3rd line and limted ice time and will see only the 2nd unit. Shultz will actually be thrown right into big minutes and 1 unit pp time.

IT isn't a big deal, yaks is 19 and Shultz is 22. I think Shultz will win ROY and get about 40 points in 48 games.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What do you mean not being used to an intense schedule he plays three games in three nights sometimes in the ahl

From playing 40 games in the NCAA for 3 years. He will end up playing around 84 games this season plus has to transition to the NHL in that time playing a shortened year. His production might slow down in comparison to Yakupov, who I feel is poised to break out

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I chose Yakupov. But I'm just happy to see 2 more #1 picks coming to the Oilers. (I'm considering Shultz a #1 pick even though he wasn't). I think he'll prove to be as good as many #1 picks.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I will go with Yakupov due to all the hype this Schultz kid has today. Yakupov is capable of passing and but he has linemates that can set him up.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Schultz is keeping up with Eberle in the AHL while Yak wasn't even very effective in the junior tourneys.

Yakupov has been also playing in the KHL other the world junior tourney. The KHL is right up there with the AHL.

while Yak will not be one of the top forwards.

Maybe not one of the best forwards overall with the learning curves but one must suspect his point totals will still be up playing in Krueger's system.

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
I would love to see the two of them as Calder finalists :D

Also voted Schultz on the poll, though to be fair, I've seen far more of him than Yakupov; Schultz was a joy to watch in the AHL, and I have no doubt that his game will translate well to the NHL level.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Schultz he will be playing on the 1st unit powerplay with Nuge which will help a ton, secondly he will get more ice time, and lastly I see Yak getting benched a few times as part of the learning process, which will hurt his points totals even more during a shortened season.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Yakupov. Its been forever since we've had a second line. He's gonna get easier minutes with 2 great playmakers. Schultz probably gets Calder though.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

BadMedicine*

Interesting question,MMmmm.

Yakupov will gel with Gagner and MPS immediatly and his game will translate flawlessly to the NHL so i see him scoring 20+ goals this year from the 2nd line and because i see Gagner realising the need to support Yakupovs shooting prowess with a double pronged shooting threat and hence scoreing at a career pace himself there will be lots of assists to go around,I think Yakupov will be close to a PPG.

Schultz will also see his game translate well to the NHL and as mentioned he will be eating up the PP minutes and racking up the points,I see him also as close to a PPG player.

I think the deciding factor will be how Yakupov does on the second PP unit,and because I think he will be deadly efficient due to his natural quick release and excellent decision making I say Yakupov takes the contest in the last 8 games of the year as Schultz is forced to tighten up as the Playoffs approach and games get more intense.At this exact time our style will still be generating PP opportunitys so it will be a toss up aside from Schultzes slower pace 5 on 5,which will show itself with about 8 games to go.Moma2 thinks Yakupov will earn the Rookie scoring title but Schultz will win the Calder because of his 5 on 5 scoring that helps us into the playoffs.RNH will benefit most from Schultz points wise and Gagner will benefit most points wise from Yakupov.I also call RNH and Sam 1/2 in the team points race this year.Sorry Ebbs but this is a new game 5 on 5 now with J Schultz and we will really see the effect multiplied at the NHL level,the points will be much more evenly spread out on the 1st line,|Ebbs goal scoring % will likely hit a career high this year with Schultz presenting a consistant threat from the outside but his assists will suffer.Its the Gagner/Yakupov connection I am most excited about,we already had very good{now great with J.S} offense from the back end but we did not have great secondary scoring from our 2nd line which we will now have.

We are going to force teams to alter their defensive setups and break their top pairings to adjust to this secondary threat,and this just makes execution easier for everyone at the NHL level.And draws more penaltys as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
I'll take Schultz. Hard to argue with a guy that went point for point with Eberle. I'll go even farther and say that Schultz will be the highest scoring rookie this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad