Rookie points - J.Schultz vs Yakupov

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Schultz, i don't see Yakupov coming in a lighting it up. i see a .35ppg season out of Yakupov. So assuming 50gm season i see Yakupov between 15-20 points. Schultz around the same, but since hes a dman probably get the edge.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
if Shultz gets more, I believe we have a calder trophy winner. We know Shultz will get more ice time as well. I hope Yak rips it up too and he will.

McLarsonator

Oct 18, 2012
I went with Schultz just because he's already got chemistry developed with the young guns helping him to be able to distribute to them more fluidly in my mind.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Yak performed well in the KHL, now he has NHL calibre line-mates to play with here.

HumanCheatCode

Jan 15, 2010
Edmonton
Would be awesome if Shultz wins rookie of the year in both the AHL and the NHL, doubt that's ever happened before.

Niet

Feb 26, 2010
Edmonton
I have a feeling Schultz may hit a wall due to all the hockey he has played coming from a college schedule prior to this season.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011
Yakupov will. Shultz has played a lot of minutes in a lot of games so far this season. While he will score a lot in the future, I expect fatigue to slow him down quite a bit.

Yakupov has been underutilized TOI wise in the KHL. Surrounded by skill in the Oiler's top 6, he is going to absolutely explode.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I have a feeling Schultz may hit a wall due to all the hockey he has played coming from a college schedule prior to this season.

he is on a break as we speak, he doesn't play a game for over 15 days + he is young and in great shape.

People have been talking about his play as of recently but then look at who he had for defence partners in the AHL, now he has NHL calibre defenceman to assist his game.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Yeah, this, and depending on how many games the NHL schedule will be (I haven't bothered to check) I expect he's getting tired. The Barons rode him relentlessly seemed like he had big minutes down there.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I voted Schultz. He's already got a good feel for the Oilers PP and has spent a lot of time with Hall, Eberle, Nuge.

Yak will take a little longer to get his feet under him and will be playing with completely new team mates.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I voted Schultz. He's already got a good feel for the Oilers PP and has spent a lot of time with Hall, Eberle, Nuge.

Yak will take a little longer to get his feet under him and will be playing with completely new team mates.

Yep, Schultz has already developed chemistry with the youngsters, i don't know why that would all of a sudden change with a step up in competition. However, i can see the argument for him hitting a rookie wall based on playing such a weird AHL schedule and being played so many minutes night in and night out so he might struggle early on.

Yakupov won't even get 1st unit PP time and i have a strong feeling that he will start off on the 3rd line with Horcoff due to him being so raw in the defensive end and Krueger wanting to have a veteran, "defensive" presence on his line. I expect Smyth to start the season on the 2nd line with Gagner and Hemsky. Not that i agree with this but i think that will be Krueger's mindset and it will limit Yakupov's point production.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think Yaks will be on the 2nd pp unit, Shultz will be on the first and get a lot more ice time. I think Shultz will outscore yaks. Shultz will score 60 points (prorated for 82 games) and yaks about 55.

The Perfect Human*

Assuming a top 6 role: Yakupov. Ales Hemsky's dream come true.

Especially on the PP - finally someone to sit on the R. side for his cross-ice laser passes and able to fire them home.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Especially on the PP - finally someone to sit on the R. side for his cross-ice laser passes and able to fire them home.

Yup. Hemsky and Yak will make beautiful music together. I wouldn't be surprised if they try Yaks bomb on the PP either.

I think he out scores Schultz.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

It's the other way around. He's been playing a proper amount of hockey in a physical league with small ice while all the stars have been playing a laid back brand of hockey in Europe.

He's got the advantage.

But I think Yakupov will get more points.

Schultz for Calder.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
I'm surprised schultz is winning this poll i think he will have alot points and it will be somewhat tight but schultz is a defensemen, i think they will both have great years but yak will have a bit more points imo

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
I'm surprised schultz is winning this poll i think he will have alot points and it will be somewhat tight but schultz is a defensemen, i think they will both have great years but yak will have a bit more points imo

Schultz is keeping up with Eberle in the AHL while Yak wasn't even very effective in the junior tourneys. Schultz will be on the #1 PP, which will likely be one of the best in the NHL. Schultz will be basically the #1 offensive d-man on the team, while Yak will not be one of the top forwards. To me it is almost inconceivable that Yak outscores Schultz.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
A defenseman who until recently lead the AHL in points over a lot very big named forwards.

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
Schultz is keeping up with Eberle in the AHL while Yak wasn't even very effective in the junior tourneys. Schultz will be on the #1 PP, which will likely be one of the best in the NHL. Schultz will be basically the #1 offensive d-man on the team, while Yak will not be one of the top forwards. To me it is almost inconceivable that Yak outscores Schultz.

you know now that i think about it you might be right schultz has been pretty unbelievable in the AHL. We should have a good shot at finally winning the calder this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad