Rookie of the Year 2018-2019 Season Candidates

Discussion in 'OHL' started by LDN, Sep 4, 2018.

1. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

I think Jack Quinn deserves to be on that list. He's played primarily a 4th line role. Any time he's been elevated above the 4th line, he's produced well. He'll probably roll as the #1 RW next year on Ottawa's Depth Chart. That said, he is a 17 year old so that should play a factor in his ranking so I can understand arguments regarding his status being off the list.

The one argument I disagree with entirely is quality of team. The better the team and deeper the roster, the less opportunity to play. Drysdale gets 25 minutes, sure, but only because the team stinks. If the team were a top 4 Conference team, would he get those minutes and opportunities? So, really, should quality of team be even in the discussion and if it is, should it not be slanted the other way? Should a player given opportunity because his team sucks and has a lack of depth not be considered a negative instead of a positive? I think, at least, it should be a wash. To me, a rookie that steps into a massively deep roster and takes ice from veterans is far more impressive than a rookie playing first line on a team 15 games under .500 with no depth rolling out on the first PP unit.

Go back to Mitch Marner on London's roster when he was a rookie. He earned that opportunity with his level of skill and determination. It wasn't handed to him quite simply because no one else was better.

I am not suggesting any of these players are weak. All I am saying is look at their production. Look at what is around them and compare them to other players opportunities etc. How did they earn their spot? How many minutes are they playing compared to other veterans? How do those veterans compare to other teams veterans and where are they on the depth charts?

The thing that impresses me the most about Marco Rossi is who he had to climb above to get his role. He's the #1 Centre on the #4 ranked CHL team. He plays ahead of Chmelevski and Hoelscher who are both NHL drafted players. Chmelevski played for Team USA at the WJHC. The 67's passed on players like Suzuki as centrement at the deadline quite simply because they had three quality centres already with their first round pick, Tolnai playing the 4th line centre role. Imagine a team at the deadline saying, "we don't need Suzuki because we have Rossi." How often does a team draw a line in the sand like that? How often do players impress to that level as rookies? If he didn't miss 11 games to injury, he'd probably be in that 65-70 point range right now. That puts him with guys like Matt Strome and Seron Noel.

The argument is if Perreault played between Felhaber and Keating, would his numbers be similar? Maybe. But would he have even been given that opportunity? Would his skill level at training camp have put him ahead of Chmelevski and Hoelscher? Doubtful. I say he wouldn't have gotten that opportunity. To me that is where the proof lies with regards to the quality of team argument.

Also, Ottawa has 226 goals. Sarnia has 214 goals. It is not like offensively the teams are vastly different to the point Perreault has nothing around him.

nelli27 likes this.
  2. dirty12

dirty12 Registered User

Kolyachonok has accomplished the same in fewer games. There are a lot of really good rookies this year. That Rossi has been the most impressive rookie does not diminish what the others have done.

3. Petes1987

Petes1987 Registered User

I was not overly impressed with Marco Rossi last night when Ottawa played Peterborough. I was more impressed with Jacob Perreault a few weeks ago when Sarnia was in town.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  4. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

As much as I have trumpeted Marco Rossi for ROY, Perfetti has had an outstanding final stretch. The acquisitions at the deadline have really made an impact overall for Saginaw and PErfetti is reaping the rewards of that personally.

I would still have liked to see what Rossi would have done with an additional 11 games but right now, it looks to be Perfetti’s to lose going into the final weekend.

5. ohloutsider

ohloutsider Registered User

So many great rookies this year - too bad this is based on points but for me Drysdale should win this. He looks like a man amongst boys out there and on D that is a major accomplishment.

ottersguy likes this.
  6. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

I don’t disagree about Drysdale’s performance for sure. The only issue is when you get rookie 16 year ols putting up those kinds of points and doing it on a solid team, it is impressive. All of Perfetti, Rossi, and Byfeld have played significant roles for their teams and are part of the reason why their teams sit where they sit. That cannot be underestimated.

dirty12, Finster8 and ohloutsider like this.
  7. ohloutsider

Has this award ever been shared?

8. NOA

NOA Registered User

I was leaning towards Byfield and Perfetti back in January because personally I’ll always side with the true rookies over 17 year old rookies. It’s just more impressive to be 16 years old and manage a PPG or more. Perfetti will likely win because of his final stretch and it’s definitely deserving especially when you consider the amount of goals he has

I think if the top rookies would have all closer to 50-60 point range I would have still argued for Drysdale. He’s just as good of a 16 year old you will ever see and plays a tougher position to get the points or the praise. But there are a lot of great rookies this year

9. three dog night

three dog night Registered User

Perfetti all day long

10. bobber

bobber Registered User

Byfield simply because of size, skill and a great 200 foot rookie.

11. Kingpin794

Kingpin794 Smart A** In A Jersey

My final ballot would be

Byfield
    Perfetti
    Drysdale
    Perreault/Rossi

12. NA Hockey

NA Hockey Registered User

This year will be as close a ROY as we have seen in awhile. Perfetti and Byfield leading contending teams in points is so impressive. Drysdale is as good a 16 year old defensemen man as we have seen in years and Rossi coming over and adjusting to North America and centering 1st line of best team in the league is also amazing.

My ballot:

Perfetti
    Byfield
    Drysdale
    Rossi
    Perreault

1st Team All Rookie

Perfetti/Byfield/Rossi
    Drysdale/Kolyachonok

2nd Team All Rookie

Perreault/Foudy/Cuylle
    O'Rourke/Sebrango

Edit: Byfield is second in Sudbury in scoring

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    LDN, hockeynorth and ohloutsider like this.
  13. slovakia18

slovakia18 English? I can't.

When they decide it?.

14. ohloutsider

Anyone believe me now? He was the first overall pick and he reported, enough said. Oh and yes he is a very good player.

15. WolvesAndWings

WolvesAndWings Registered User

Maybe. I see alot of contextual reasons for why Byfield won as well though. Byfield was on a worse team and unlike Perfetti and Rossi he was his team's best skater. He therefore almost always played the top D pair of the opposition. He played on virtually every PP and PK. He had the worst set of linemates of the 3 players in question and that factor isn't even close. This was all as a wire to wire 16 year old and the eye test checks out. He's talked about as the potential #2 OA pick after Lafreniere in 2020 for a good reason.

Not knocking Perfetti or Rossi who are also amazing players. Just making my obviously biased fan case for Q.

WKBCFAN likes this.
  16. Generalsupdates

Generalsupdates Registered User

You nailed it. Under no statistical metric does Byfield win the award over Perfetti, but he's the 1st overall pick, went to the team who drafted him and is the OHL's best draft prospect so he wins the award

HockeyPops likes this.
  17. Kingpin794

I would have voted for Byfield.

It's not a knock on Perfetti. Byfield had a lot less to work with.

ottersguy, EON and WolvesAndWings like this.
  18. bcspragu

bcspragu Registered User

I know people say "Well Perfetti played with Tippett and McLeod so Byfield has less help" But Perfetti was already a PPG player before the Tippett and McLeod trade and just further exploded post trade deadline. Byfield didnt even reach that mark for the season.

dirty12, Finster8 and HockeyPops like this.
  19. WolvesFanSudbury

WolvesFanSudbury Registered User

Even the other guys on you're team is better then what Byfield had

WolvesAndWings likes this.
  20. WolvesAndWings

If we're based on points per game and discounting the talent around the rookie as well as age, we could argue that Sergei Kostitsyn should've won it over Tavares in 05-06 by that logic, but I don't think anyone wants to open that can of worms. :naughty:

21. Generalsupdates

This isn’t a hypothetical league. You vote for what you saw, not “what if”. Under that logic, Cuylle/Foudy probably should co-win the award because they were on an all-rookie line for almost all the season and still put up great numbers.

Btw, who was Perfetti’s linemates before the deadline and he got Tippett? Because no offence to SAG but for the first 70% of the season, they weren’t oozing with elite offensive guys.

I didn’t watch a ton of SBY but when they played the Gens Byfield was with Murray (7th overall pick who had 30 goals as a sophomore this year) and Carson (30 goal scorer in 2017). Not exactly the Jr B scrubs people are making it out to be lol

dirty12 and Finster8 like this.
  22. bcspragu

bcspragu Registered User

Perfetti played on and off with Gilmour and Coskey and Jenkins and Busdeker for alot of the games pre Tippett and Mcleod.

23. Kingpin794

It's also not strictly a scoring title. And no Foudy and Cuylle should not co win. 40 some point seasons, while impressive on a bad team, are not the same as near PPG (Byfield was 3 off) or better.

Not saying Sudbury is full of scrubs. Said Perfetti had more to work with. Tippett and McLeod is more than Carson and Murray.

Beyond just Carson, Murray, Tippett, McLeod, etc. Sudbury scored 40 less goals than Saginaw. Saginaw had a differential of 76. Sudbury had one of 48. The OHL doesn't track possession numbers all that well, but those superficial numbers would indicate that the Wolves didn't have the puck in the offensive zone as much as Saginaw. If we could extrapolate say a points per minutes in the offensive zone so as to project what Byfield would have produced with the same caliber of team around him, he would probably reduce that point gap.

Idk, that's PART of my reasoning at least.

WolvesAndWings likes this.
  24. WolvesAndWings

This is fair. And clearly the experts in charge of voting already made their selection so your points are totally valid.

25. Generalsupdates

Okay thanks. Which are pretty similar linemates to Murray/Carson...