Rookie of the Year 2018-2019 Season Candidates

Discussion in 'OHL' started by LDN, Sep 4, 2018.

1. dirty12

dirty12 Registered User

Ottawa? :)
    Maybe Barrie, Flint, Hamilton, NB, Windsor as well

2. fishfan51

fishfan51 Registered User

Niagara has one.

dirty12 likes this.
  3. HockeyPops

HockeyPops Registered User

Lol, that's the Soo. No 2nd or 3rd last draft. Sigh.

4. nofriendsinhockey

nofriendsinhockey Registered User

Rossi is my pick. Such a great player

5. Fischhaber

Fischhaber Registered User

It was the same the last couple of years, but if teams had a redo then 4+ round picks like MacKay, Carroll, and Kerins would go in the first or early second.

6. Kingpin794

Kingpin794 Smart A** In A Jersey

Personally, taking into account quality of team around a player, age, stats etc, my list would look like this:

Perreault
    Byfield
    Drysdale
    Rossi
    Perfetti

Is Rossi the best player out of all of these guys? Yeah. He's also an 01 and on a stacked roster. Perrault is having the better rookie season.

Edit: added Drysdale. Forgot about him.

7. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

If you only look at quality of team as a positive factor for a players stats totals, I think it is slightly obtuse.

First, if the team is of higher quality with a depth of roster, there is less opportunity for ice. It is that much harder to earn it. Ask Cam Tolnai about that as he tries to wrestle away ice time on a deep 67’s roster.

Second, if you are on a weaker roster, there is more chance of higher profile ice time in higher profile situations. More Power Play time and a regular shift is very helpful for a young player on a weak roster. More minutes, more points.

I really don’t think you can look at quality of team around the player and just assume it is the reason for more points. The player has to produce in all situations to earn the ice and it is a heck of a lot harder to earn it when you look around the dressing room at a bunch of players with career points totals measured in the hundreds andyou have to go ou there and take their ice away.

PErsonally, I find it more impressive when a rookie comes in and starts stealing jobs away from players with solid pedigree.

Otto and HockeyPops like this.
  8. Kingpin794

look, I'm sure you believe what you typed. I also think if Ottawa was mediocre/bad that you'd be arguing the reverse. I think you're the type to say anything to reason with yourself/others that Rossi is the ROTY.

You can write me a nice 3 page justification but that isn't going to convince me that putting up great numbers as a 17 year old on one of the best teams in the CHL is more impressive that being PPG on a 0.500 team as a true rookie.

I'm not even saying Rossi is bad. It's just objectively, there's people having a better rookie season than him.

9. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

Objectively speaking, a 17 year old #1 centre when there are two NHL drafted Centres (18 year old and 19 year old) and one was a Centre for Team USA at the World Junior Championships isn't a situation where he is simply drilled up the lineup to stretch it out. Chmelevski is a quality player and a bonafide NHL prospect. By all rights, he should be the #1 centre. As soon as Rossi was back from a 15 game hiatus for the injury, he resumed his role as the #1 centre and is still contributing at a high level.

You can be as sarcastic as you wish. I would likely agree if we were talking about Quinn on the 3rd line. He is benefitting from that stretched roster, no disrespect to him either. He was the #2 scoring rookie when Rossi went down. HE was a very sought after player at the deadline, possibly the #1 target ahead of Tolnai by most accounts. But, if he were on a .500 team, as you suggested, he may do slightly better or worse depending on where he were to slot into the depth chart. If he were still a 3rd line centre, he;d do worse. If he were consistently a top 6 forward, I believe the extra ice would net him more points which sort of goes against what you are saying but that is a matter of opinion.

In the end, Rossi will likely top out at 70 points (53 games). You can choose to suggest he is a beneficiary of Felhaber and Keating as linemates or you can say he is the driving force behind their breakout seasons as league leaders. It is a matter of perspective.

What I do know is the eye test doesn't lie. He is very similar to Mitch Marner at the same age. Marner will have put up better numbers for sure. But from the way they approach the game, see the ice and dance through the traffic, very similar. Marner was just slightly more explosive.

10. Kingpin794

You missed my point. You're very biased and are bad at being objective.

You don't have to give me this schpiel about how Rossi is unseating players and is like Marner. I know he's incredibly talented. Never said he wasn't.

Perreault is still having the better rookie season when all things are considered.

11. OMG67

OMG67 Registered User

You just saying “all things considered” is meaningless. You haven’t said anything other than he plays for a .500 team and that is somehow better than a kid playing for a better team. Oh, and one is 17 and the other 16. So, really, shouldn’t you be saying, “Two things considered?”

Don’t get me wrong, I mean no disrespect. I understand what you are saying. However, I think a great number of “unbiased” people agree with my stance. They aren’t biased at all.

12. dirty12

dirty12 Registered User

Objective?
    The rookie leading pts/game, SOG, +/-, ... by a large margin and on top line & 1st PP unit of top OHL team, is having the better season when all things are considered.

HockeyPops likes this.
  13. WolvesAndWings

WolvesAndWings Registered User

Are you talking about right now and right now only? Or are you saying you think he's the best player going forward?

I don't think there is anyone in the league right now with a stronger pro outlook than Byfield.

14. WolvesFanSudbury

WolvesFanSudbury Registered User

Ukka if you’re counting everyone is the league and not just rookies ;)

WolvesAndWings and aresknights like this.
  15. aresknights

aresknights Registered User

Rossi for me.

16. BoxerMax

BoxerMax Registered User

As it stands right now, IMO, Rossi will win the Rookie of the Year.

17. hammer4424

hammer4424 Registered User

What about all rookie team for this year?

18. BigHitter67

BigHitter67 Registered User

Yup! Best kid on ice most nights Does it all. Both ends . With and without the biscuit.

19. hockeyfan9102

hockeyfan9102 Registered User

my first team would be:
    Rossi-Byfield-Perreault
    Kolyachonok-Drysdale

team 2:
    Cuylle-Stranges-Foudy
    O’Rourke-Moore/Chayka

not completely sure on goalies. if they will consider UPL a rookie, he’s the obvious choice

20. SebJHockey

SebJHockey Registered User

21. dirty12

dirty12 Registered User

Nice article/scouting reports on Drysdale; but, he hasn’t really been over looked or not getting his due respect. He’s simply been over shadowed by a great rookie season in Perreault (pick #19) on a Sarnia team that was not expected to do much more than Erie. And really, Rossi skated away with the race.

22. Fischhaber

I'd argue that Drysdale may not even be the top rookie defenseman. Ryan O'Rourke has produced similar offensive numbers with less ice time and no PP time like Drysdale has had. He's also been a real standout defensively, the best rookie that I have seen in a while.

In the end, however, I agree that Perreault and Rossi have separated themselves from the pack.

dirty12 and BoxerMax like this.
  23. NA Hockey

NA Hockey Registered User

My Top 10 Rankings for ROY based on OHL stats to date, impact to team, quality of team. There are still 16-18 games to go and some things can change between now and the end of the season but I believe Rossi has clearly separated himself at this point. Remember this isn't an indication of future success, just a ranking based on contribution this year.

1. Rossi

2. Perrault
    3. Perfetti
    4. Drysdale
    5. Byfield

6. Foudy
    7. O'Rourke
    8. Cuylle
    9, Stranges
    10. Kolyachonok

24. ottersguy

ottersguy Registered User

He’s also played on a much better team than Drysdale..

But regardless, Drysdale has 8 more points. And the fact that he has managed to play 25 minutes a night in all situations as a 16 year old is what makes him impressive when you watch him. It’s not a stats thing. It’s a watch him play thing. You must not have seen Drysdale play this year..

25. Fischhaber

I've seen Drysdale play once in person and at least 5 times on OHL live. I think he's an excellent young player.

The fact that another rookie defenseman has had a similarly impressive season does nothing to diminish his accomplishments in my opinion.

dirty12 likes this.