Rookie of the Year 2018-2019 Season Candidates

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I would say Stranges of London, Cuylle of Windsor and Byfield of Sudbury are for sure ROY Candidates.
Let me know who else you think would be in the mix?

AttackRinkRat

Apr 1, 2017
From Owen Sound, I think Kaleb Pearson may be a good candidate given what he has shown so far this preseason.

Reactions: LDN

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Watch Perfetti, I think him Cuylle and Byfield and the big ones but Stranges may move in because of the stacked London team. Vierling and Wilde (if eligible as well). Or maybe an import goalie such as Luokkonen or Prosvestov (if eligible). I predict it goes to Byfield with Cuylle the runner up. Edit: add Boqvist if eligible.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Don't see anyone in London being in the mix (except maybe Guskov) due to their depth. Byfield is the easy pick here imo but Rossi from Ottawa could have a strong season as well (and Cuylle on Windsor if he's playing in the top 6).

Dman don't usually win these but Drysdale from Erie may get top 4 time right away and it wouldn't be out of the question for him to have a great season and be in the conversation.

Reactions: ottersguy and LDN

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Based on what I am hearing out of Ottawa Rossi will be in the mix, but I have not seen him live yet.

Based on what I saw last season, the OHL Cup, the Gold Cup and U17 camp, I would say the top 5 picks (Byfield, Vierling Cuylle, Drysdale, Perfetti) from the past draft all have a shot. Would also throw Foudy in there as well.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Watch Perfetti, I think him Cuylle and Byfield and the big ones but Stranges may move in because of the stacked London team. Vierling and Wilde (if eligible as well). Or maybe an import goalie such as Luokkonen or Prosvestov (if eligible). I predict it goes to Byfield with Cuylle the runner up. Edit: add Boqvist if eligible.
I am not sure if these 18 yr old imports are eligible

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Especially if he plays with Suzuki
I think he's 18 though ifonly 16 and 17 yo's are eligible. If 18 yo's are eligible Boqvist, Wilde, Luokkonen, and Pearson will probably be in the mix. Hard to see Byfield getting beat out otherwise although Cuylle might get top 6 minutes in Windsor and put up a fight. I see Vierling, Drysdale, Stranges, Perfetti, Rossi being "finalist" capable but not actually coming away with it.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Rossi in Ottawa is a prime candidate. As a 17 year old he is a year older than the new crop of 16 year olds. HE has a late birthdate so he goes in the 2020 NHL draft but sits ranked #2 on most of those lists. He will get every opportunity to prove himself in Ottawa. If he can make a quick adjustment to the North American ice, he should be a top 3 candidate.

Reactions: View from section 9

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Rossi in Ottawa is a prime candidate. As a 17 year old he is a year older than the new crop of 16 year olds. HE has a late birthdate so he goes in the 2020 NHL draft but sits ranked #2 on most of those lists. He will get every opportunity to prove himself in Ottawa. If he can make a quick adjustment to the North American ice, he should be a top 3 candidate.
How good is this Rossi guy? This is pretty much the first time I have heard of him, but sounds like a great player

Reactions: hockeynorth

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015

Not to be disagreeable butI have seen a lot of 2020 lists and I have never seen one that has Rossi at #2

Every single one has a combination of the 4 players below. That being said most if not all have Rossi in the top 15.

1. Lafrenierre
2. Holtz
3. Byfield
4. Raymond

Most 2020 lists also have Perfetti and Drysdale in the first round as well. I would offer that Cuylle will be added to mock draft first round lists imminently.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Not to be disagreeable butI have seen a lot of 2020 lists and I have never seen one that has Rossi at #2

Every single one has a combination of the 4 players below. That being said most if not all have Rossi in the top 15.

1. Lafrenierre
2. Holtz
3. Byfield
4. Raymond

Most 2020 lists also have Perfetti and Drysdale in the first round as well. I would offer that Cuylle will be added to mock draft first round lists imminently.

9 Best Prospects From The 2020 NHL Draft - DudeDaily.ca

HockeyBuzz.com - Adam French - The OHL Players To Watch This Year

Projecting The Top 5 Picks Of The Next 3 NHL Drafts

Some info and predictions....

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Thanks for sharing the info, as I said I hadn't seen anything that didn't have Lafrenierre, Holtz and Byfield as the top 3.

I think some of the info may be old or by publications not as in the know.

Nothing against Coe from NB but those links you shared are the only places I have seen him as a top 5 pick as well.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
How good is this Rossi guy? This is pretty much the first time I have heard of him, but sounds like a great player

Having seen some hilight packages, he looks a lot like Marner.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Rossi is looking very good after the first few weeks. Sits first in Rookie scoring with 12 points in 11 games (7 goals). He has been elevated to top line centre skating between Felhaber and Keating (both are sitting #1 and #2 in League scoring) the last couple weeks. He popped a goal today that should make the top 5 plays of the week. It looks like he’s made the adjustment. I think he is now the early front runner.

Reactions: nelli27

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Cameron Butler from the Petes should be in consideration for Rookie of the year. He has 4 goals and 1 assist in 10 games. He dominates physically. He plays a lot like Nick Ritchie at the same age.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Cameron Butler from the Petes should be in consideration for Rookie of the year. He has 4 goals and 1 assist in 10 games. He dominates physically. He plays a lot like Nick Ritchie at the same age.

He's tied for 14th among points per game for rookies. Only has 10 shots in 10 games. Looks primed to be a good player, but not close to the ROY conversation at this time (and I'm a Petes fan)

Packman

Jun 19, 2018
I agree with all except Vierling. When watching him play, it's like he has no urgency. Almost like he doesn't even want to be there (and who would blame him lol). Compared to the others mentioned and from what's been shown so far from his play, there is no comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad