Roof requirement for future MLB stadiums

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Major League Baseball calls off games for weather-related reasons far more often than any other major sports league. This is because of the dirt infield.

A vast majority of current MLB stadiums are open air, though some, like Dodger Stadium aren't as prone to rainouts as others.

I aim for a future where rainouts are completely eliminated in MLB.

To accomplish this, the league would institute a new bylaw requiring new stadiums to be built with some sort of roof, with a retractable roof preferred so games can be played outdoors when the weather is nice.

Existing open-air stadiums would be grandfathered under the new rule.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
This is not a good idea. Retractable roofs come at the cost of 300M or more, depending on the rest of the stadium. Since there is less and less stomach in cities for paying the cost of stadia, then it follows that 300M comes out of the owner's pocket.

There is simply not a good way for said owner to recoup that money.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
As much as I think having all future stadiums have retractable roofs would be a good idea, I'm inclined to think that that's too prohibitive of a cost requirement to mandate.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The A's stadium plan and any other prospective city (Montreal, Nashville.....not sure about Portland) would already be dead if this was required. They play enough games and frequent enough making up games have never been a serious problem.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Roofs are more for fan comfort than they are for actual rain outs. When you look at which stadiums have them they tend to be in really hot (Arizona, Houston, Dallas, Miami) or really cold climates (Toronto, Milwaukee.) The only other city that has a retractable roof is Seattle, which is a temperate climate but a lot of rainy days.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Major League Baseball calls off games for weather-related reasons far more often than any other major sports league. This is because of the dirt infield.

A vast majority of current MLB stadiums are open air, though some, like Dodger Stadium aren't as prone to rainouts as others.

I aim for a future where rainouts are completely eliminated in MLB.

To accomplish this, the league would institute a new bylaw requiring new stadiums to be built with some sort of roof, with a retractable roof preferred so games can be played outdoors when the weather is nice.

Existing open-air stadiums would be grandfathered under the new rule.

Good Lord no, just stop.

The whole point of baseball is being out in the fresh air and sunshine.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
If the vulnerability of dirt infields to turning into mud due to rain necessitates hundreds of millions in complex engineering works, would it not be slightly cheaper to just grass sod over the whole field?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I want the new Toronto stadium if built to be outdoors. The Skydome just feels soulless when closed. Granted I haven't been to any of the new retractable buildings.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Like what? Concerts and stuff are held in outdoor stadiums too.
This is outside of Baseball, but building it with a roof essentially got Minnesota and Detroit Superbowls. Outside of NYC, they'll never go anywhere cold that is outdoors for that.

WildGopher

Jun 13, 2012
Roofs are more for fan comfort than they are for actual rain outs. When you look at which stadiums have them they tend to be in really hot (Arizona, Houston, Dallas, Miami) or really cold climates (Toronto, Milwaukee.) The only other city that has a retractable roof is Seattle, which is a temperate climate but a lot of rainy days.
Not sure if a roof is even needed in hot-weather cities, but places like Milwaukee aren't even very cold, so the $90 million management ripped off from the taxpayers so they could save a few rainout dates was almost criminal. Add to that the roof crane accident that killed three workers during construction of the new ballpark in Milwaukee in 1997. I've had it with owners' greed. They want to build these palaces to themselves, they can pay for it themselves.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Retractable roof ballparks look like crap IMO. Soulless and cavernous. Spending a summer day outside is a big part of baseball's appeal. I don't think rain delays are a big enough issue to warrant a solution which (1) costs billions to implement across the league (2) is aesthetically decidedly unpleasant.

Reactions: oknazevad and LeHab

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Not sure if a roof is even needed in hot-weather cities, but places like Milwaukee aren't even very cold, so the $90 million management ripped off from the taxpayers so they could save a few rainout dates was almost criminal. Add to that the roof crane accident that killed three workers during construction of the new ballpark in Milwaukee in 1997. I've had it with owners' greed. They want to build these palaces to themselves, they can pay for it themselves.

A roof actually makes sense in Milwaukee because the population of the state is spread out that you can get fans from further out. It makes less sense in a place like Minnesota where around two-thirds of the population is in Minneapolis/St. Paul.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I wonder how many of you have been to Safeco, where the roof covers everything, but it’s not enclosed; you get the marine air flowing through. The roof “folds” to the east, so it never really obstructs the sun when open unless they’re crazy enough to play a morning game.

The rendering in Portland generally includes a roof, but is sometimes hidden when they try to show off the rest of the park. Still waiting for a whale investor and serious answers to questions about transportation to the preferred location.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad