Ron Rolston Appreciation Thread- Thanks for the Memories

Driftwood

Ron Rolston Forever
Mar 21, 2002
Buffalo
Visit site
10-3 lifetime coaching record in shootouts. Who was ever better at preparing the team for a dumb skills contest after 65 minutes of real hockey? No one.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Some fans are going to be wise *****. I get it. They have to vent frustrations on to someone. Everything I read about him is he's a terrific person. And knows how to coach. I just think he was in over his head in the NHL, AND his roster isn't the most talented roster to succeed.

He will coach again, probably in the AHL or juniors next season. I think his resume is impressive before being hired by Regier.

A 2011 Bob Johnson Award recipient, which recognizes excellence in international competition during a season
A three-time gold-medal winner at the International Ice Hockey Federation U-18 World Championships in 2005, 2009 and most recently in 2011
During the 2010-11 season, he led Team USA to titles in the 2011 Five Nations Tournament and in the 2010 Four Nations Cup
Led the U.S. National Under-17 team to the 2009-10 campaign World Hockey Challenge title, its first since 2002
In 2008-09, led the U.S. National Under-18 Team to first-place finishes at both the 2008 Men’s Under-18 Four Nations Cup in Lake Placid, N.Y., and 2009 Under-18 Five Nations Tournament in Sweden
Also served as HC coach for the U.S. National Junior Team on two occasions, helping Team USA to a bronze medal at the 2007 IIHF World Junior Championship in Sweden
Led Team USA to a silver medal at the 2007 IIHF U-18 tournament
Won NCAA National Championships in 1992 and 1994 with Lake Superior State University, a team he also guided to three straight appearances in the NCAA National Championship game and four CCHA tournament titles in his five-year stint
Perhaps the most decorated coach in NTDP history, Rolston-led teams have never missed the championship game in either of the major NTDP tournaments, the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge and International Ice Hockey Federation World Under-18 Championship. In the 4 IIHF U-18 Championships that he his teams have competed in, they have brought home 3 golds and a silver medal. [5]

That's not luck. His teams didn't succeed in spite of him. The NHL and the talent poor roster was just too much.

Good luck elsewhere Rolston. Thanks for trying.

Last edited:

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
wrong person, wrong team

I think he'll go back into minor league coaching and maybe one day get another shot.

indigoo

Nov 26, 2011
He was no good. Developmental coach my arse.

He eats Chipotle a lot though.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
He was terrible. Worse then Ruff. Pretty much the same type of guy but just worse. Good riddance he needs to go back to the AHL where he belongs.

Karate Johnson*

Asking Rolston to coach an NHL team was like asking me to design an engine for an airplane.

I get how they work, but it would blow up immediately after starting it.

I feel bad for the guy

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I feel bad for Rolston. He was rushed into a position he wasn't ready for and the team, instead of taking a step back to re-evaluate the coaching position in June, he was handed full time job he wasn't qualified for. He was barely qualified as a AHL coach.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I feel bad for Rolston. He was rushed into a position he wasn't ready for and the team, instead of taking a step back to re-evaluate the coaching position in June, he was handed full time job he wasn't qualified for. He was barely qualified as a AHL coach.

All reasons pointing at Regier's dismisal too.

I hope Ron steps back to a level he can succeed at and figures out what went wrong.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I'll be curious to see where he ends up now. He surely won't land anywhere in the NHL, but I could see him back on an AHL team this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad