Ron Hextall

Raoul Duke*

I've always loved this guy, and had to laugh at these stats when I came across them today. Put him in the Hall ASAP.

1986-87
GP: 66
W: 37
L: 21
T: 6
SO: 1
GAA: 3.00
Save %: .906

But here's the best of it:

Assists: 6
Penalty Minutes: 104

:yo:

Reactions: barbu and Dingo

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I loved Hextall too. But his best season was his first one in '86-87. He was a first team all-star, a Vezina Trophy winner and a Conn Smythe winner. After that he had sketchy play. He never played in the Canada Cup '87 although he backed up Fuhr. hen he had some sub-par years in Philly. If he had two mroe great seasons like that then I'd sya yeah, but he didnt. No Hall of Fame.

Trollo*

He's the reason I am a Flyers fan and I love him for that. Favorite goalie of all time.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't know about the Hall of Fame. Hextall had a pretty uneven career and he wasn't held in very high regard at the end of his career when he was putting up his best statistics. Actually, definitely no Hall of Fame as far as I'm concerned.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I seem to remember that he took a 5 minute major for either fighting or slashing near the end of the last game of the year; which some thought was done intentionally to put his PM total over 100.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I've always loved this guy, and had to laugh at these stats when I came across them today. Put him in the Hall ASAP.

1986-87
GP: 66
W: 37
L: 21
T: 6
SO: 1
GAA: 3.00
Save %: .906

But here's the best of it:

Assists: 6

:yo:

Billy Smith could rack up the PIM's as well, The same with Cheevers.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Apparently.

Let’s focus on you thinking a “top 15 goaltender in his era” belongs in the HHOF. How big do you think the hall of fame is?

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
There were 21-26 teams during ”Hextall’s era”, being a top 15 goaltender I suppose would mean that you’re generally a serviceable NHL starter in your era, but perhaps not a reliable star expected to carry your team for long stretches. He’d be quite a weak Hall of Fame entry as such, especially with arguably superior guys like Joseph, Liut, Vernon, Richter, Barrasso and Osgood on the outside (with only Joseph looking like an obvious hall of famer to me).

Growing up, I found myself captivated by Hextall’s player profile off his hockey card, for I guess much the same reasons as his fans here have pointed out, namely his PIMs and points. Probably my favorite player of all time, Jarmo Myllys on Luleå Hockey seemed to be channeling Hextall as a goltender: Jarmo was fierce and dangerous in defending his crease, while also a notorious stickhandler and playmaker, who’d start counter attacks from the net. Myllys shot and scored the first two goalie goals in the SHL, as Hextall did in the NHL. The Flyers were also my favorite NHL team as a kid, so Hextall was my default favorite NHL goaltender for all these reasons, although I never got to see him play back then.

Besides his 1986-87, his early dead puck era stats seem fine at a glance, but having watched him in the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals later on, I didn’t see a good goaltender in his crease. Vernon seemed like a weak Conn Smythe pick from my limited eye test, the Red Wings’ system and defense seemed to suffocate the Flyers more than anything, but he clearly outgoalied Hextall, that’s for sure.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'd argue Hextall only won the Smythe in 1987 because Gretzky had an average playoff run by his standards - 34 points which was only 6 more than the next closest player (Messier). He also only scored 5 goals and lets face it - the voters for the award like to see high goal totals.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Hextall left a tremendous mark on the game. As a goalie, his skating and puck-handling skills were very influential to those who followed. And he influenced opposing players in terms of how they thought about zone entry, dumping the puck into the corner, being in front of the net, etc.

However, he didn’t have the career numbers or the consistency. And I almost feel that some of his on-ice “incidents” would give the Selection Committee pause.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad