Confirmed with Link: Ron Hextall fired as Exec VP/GM, Presser Tue 11/27 11am: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I definitely don't trust him when it comes to adding players... he added too many awful, outdated ones for me to trust him there.

And Ghost was drafted in 2012.
Same year he traded for Luke Schenn.
Same year he traded for Grossmann
Two years before he traded for MacDonald.

Notice he got Ghost after all those. After he saw how they worked.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And though Hextall may not have had a ton of cap space for big acquisitions early in his tenure, he didn't find even one steal. He made some terrible evaluations, like trading Hartnell for Umberger, who ended up a buyout he was so bad. He terribly misevaluated Weise and Gordon (and Filppula). He fell in love with milquetoast "character" fringe players like Vandevelde, Schultz, and Bellemare (each of whom he RE-SIGNED). And again, NO steals at the NHL level (no Alex Karlssons, Jonathan Marchessaults, etc.), or trades for impact NHL players. That, plus the plodding nature of the roster and complete lack of emotion and identity in the roster, led to his rightful firing, IMO.

Hartnell was a salary dump, Umberger was a fill-in who free up cap space two years early.
Weise was the only misevaluation, and now he's playing like they thought he'd play.
Gordon, Luby, VdV were minimum wage guys filling out the bottom of the roster
Filppula was a one year patch that got us a better draft pick
PEB is so bad that Gallant wanted him and plays him more minutes in Vegas

Stealing a Karlsson is much easier in the ED when you select 10 of these guys and hit on 2-3.
For a team like the Flyers, it means trading a 1st or 2nd rd pick and hope they emerge.

Trading for an impact NHL player, with what asset? Simmonds, Voracek or draft picks.

Yes, Hextall should have been more aware of the cosmetics of the situation, he should have tanked early, then gradually improved the team in his 4th and 5th year, giving fans hope, instead of making the playoffs and raising expectations above the talent. I think he tried with the B Schenn trade, but the team made the playoffs and garnered 98 points despite losing 25 goals, playing Filppula at 2C and a goalie meltdown. All Hakstol's fault.

Reactions: achdumeingute

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If that's how you prefer look at it, yes.

I don't like any argument that comes down to winning a Cup or not. Too much variance in those. At absolute best, Dallas has contended for one year with Seguin and their record was inflated compared to their underpinnings.
Yeah, that makes sense. Can't really call the trades a success or failure when there's so many other variables that effect winning or losing.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
As for Patrick, he was never projected to be an elite stud. The Flyers have had the misfortune of landing the 2nd overall picks in years when the 2nd player taken was "good" (JVR and Patrick). If the Flyers drafted 2nd in the Ovechkin/Malkin year, McDavid/Eichel year or Matthews/Laine year, things would be different. They don't control that, but it is what it is.

So true...so true....now I'm blue.....

Reactions: Jtown

Mike1167

Jun 25, 2018
Erie, Pennsylvania
Yeah, I really wanted Hak gone and Hextall to stay. I'm extremely disappointed.

Personally, I have zero prior attachments to, or bias in favor of, Hextall, despite what some on here may think. :laugh:

I just really agreed with how he was building this roster. I never watched him play in a single NHL game (I'm 25, so I was 6 years old when he retired), so there's no nostalgia clouding my view of him or anything like that. He was just doing many things the way I would have done them, although there were definitely many things I disagreed with too.
I'm sorry you weren't around to see "The Broad Street Bullies." Man, that was hockey. Clarkie, Leach, Barber, MacLeish, Moose DuPont, and of course Bernie Parent. I was in 1st and 2nd grade, but I still remember those days, and I love seeing the replays and highlights!

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Ghost was a flyer late in the 3rd round (#78), doubt he was some great plan of Holmgren.
The next year he took Morin #11, Hagg #41 and Goul #72.
Not much adjustment to the modern NHL.
All I remember with Ghost and Hextall was how Ghost first cracked the lineup only because of an injury......and Hextall had no choice and said he was going to watch him like a "hawk" like an overprotective father sending his virgin daughter off to the prom

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Even after he was bought out with two years left on the six year deal Holmgren stupidly gave him, there are still people who insist Hextall could have got more for Hartnell. :laugh: That contract was poison.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It’s more just messing with rebel at this point.

giphy-1.gif

Reactions: Adtar02

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
There were plenty of good players available in the offseason. Jeff Skinner, ROR, Hamilton, Lindholm, Hanifan, Pacioretty. We could have easily matched a lot of those deals. Simmer would have been a trade chip as Carolina/Calgary were openly looking for veteran gritty guys. Almost all of those guys mentioned are having terrific seasons.

Reactions: tucson83

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
How many teams have won the Cup with guys taken at the top of the draft.
Pens, Crosby, Malkin, MAF
Chi, Kane
LA, Doughty
Caps, Ovechkin
Heck Boston had Bergeron #45, Marchand #71

You don't need a bunch of elite guys, you just need a deep, quality roster.
Pens had the ultimate tank, but most teams have one of these guys.
Patrick is all of 20, but people are writing him off.

What’s the point your arguing here? You say you don’t need Elite players drafted at the top of the draft, and then list all the cup winners who have elite players taken at the top of the draft (with the exception of Boston). Who on that list, is Patrick better than or projects to be better than?

Reactions: tucson83 and Tripod

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm sorry you weren't around to see "The Broad Street Bullies." Man, that was hockey. Clarkie, Leach, Barber, MacLeish, Moose DuPont, and of course Bernie Parent. I was in 1st and 2nd grade, but I still remember those days, and I love seeing the replays and highlights!

I caught the tail-end of the Bullies and enjoyed the 80 team and the Keenan years (my favorite). Then, the early Lindros years were fantastic. Since then, it's been rather blah, with some ups and downs. Watching Forsberg and Gagne was a treat, which made the Flyers fun, but then the wheels fell off. The Richards/Carter years were bitter sweet and ended with a bad taste. Then the Giroux era started in full and was so-so until the team's identity was completely lost 4 years ago. Under Hextall there's been no identity or excitement whatsoever, which is the exact opposite of what we all expected tbh.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wonder how much the jersey being thrown on the ice at away game registered as another low point of fans showing their displeasure? Along with the rubber bands & beer cans being thrown on the ice during a playoff game fire Hakstol chants & signs.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
so many stories coming out about how much of a dictator hexy was, and its why many feared we would never be able to hire a guy like q who would want control over personnel aspects.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
There were plenty of good players available in the offseason. Jeff Skinner, ROR, Hamilton, Lindholm, Hanifan, Pacioretty. We could have easily matched a lot of those deals. Simmer would have been a trade chip as Carolina/Calgary were openly looking for veteran gritty guys. Almost all of those guys mentioned are having terrific seasons.

There's not a snowman's chance in hell Carolina wanted Simmonds.

Calgary, yes. The rumor was that the ask for Hamilton on top of Simmonds was too high for Hextall's liking. The intimation was that it was Sanheim or Myers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad