Confirmed with Link: Ron Hextall fired as Exec VP/GM, Presser Tue 11/27 11am: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
and people not clamoring for Hutton is relevant how...?
We're not the GM.
We're not paid millions to make those calls and get them right.
It's not our job to identify finding a guy who can play in net.
We are nerds on a message board.

Ron Hextall was the GM. He failed. Again.
Boterill identified the right guy to go after.

Now we're here, with no goalies, a promising prospect that may as well be a mystery box who is facing tremendous adversity as a young pro and looks like he's going to be years away.

STL has their own problems and their GM should be on a hotseat as well.

No goalies under contract next season either lol

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Well couldn't you say the same about Seguin and Hall? They were massive upgrades too, but in the end they didn't put their team over the top either.

If that's how you prefer look at it, yes.

I don't like any argument that comes down to winning a Cup or not. Too much variance in those. At absolute best, Dallas has contended for one year with Seguin and their record was inflated compared to their underpinnings.

Reactions: Embiid

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's not common. You've got ~5 total leaguewide in the last decade or so -- Subban, Kessel, the Kings getting Carter and Richards, and I know I'm missing one. Other than that, you're going back to things like Pronger here, Luongo to Vancouver, Thornton to San Jose, etc.

Seguin and Hall were blockbuster acquisitions that didn't change a thing when it came to contenders.

You don’t necessarily need to go big game hunting to improve your roster. A more valid criticism is that the pro additions mostly were either terrible or meh at best. Gudas was pretty much an outlier. You can find value in the middle & low class tier of players if you know what you’re looking for but often times Hextall didn’t. He was still very much archaic in his player evaluations there.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You don’t necessarily need to go big game hunting to improve your roster. A more valid criticism is that the pro additions mostly were either terrible or meh at best. Gudas was pretty much an outlier. You can find value in the middle & low class tier of players if you know what you’re looking for but often times Hextall didn’t. He was still very much archaic in his player evaluations there.

Can we have the analytics conversation again? :p

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hartnell was also a buyout and is on the CBJ cap till 20-21. Meanwhile Hextall used their pick from that trade to get our best center prospect who’s available to play this season.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I wouldn't call that a blockbuster trade, though.

Well we weren't really rapid-fire arguing back-and-forth like I was with them. :laugh:
Honestly mad he got canned first. But I get. I do think he was doing a lot of good but the development plans and being so rigid I didn’t like. Players really only got called up from injury. Unless they made the team out of camp which was basically three players.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
How many teams have won the Cup with guys taken at the top of the draft.
Pens, Crosby, Malkin, MAF
Chi, Kane
LA, Doughty
Caps, Ovechkin
Heck Boston had Bergeron #45, Marchand #71

You don't need a bunch of elite guys, you just need a deep, quality roster.
Pens had the ultimate tank, but most teams have one of these guys.
Patrick is all of 20, but people are writing him off.

Those guys above are all 1st ballot HHOFers. And when you look at teams like the Leafs and Jets, they are also poised for success. Even if you don't win Cups (or for a while) players like McDavid, Dahlin, Eichel, etc. add a level of excitement to a team, sell tickets, and make money.

As for Patrick, he was never projected to be an elite stud. The Flyers have had the misfortune of landing the 2nd overall picks in years when the 2nd player taken was "good" (JVR and Patrick). If the Flyers drafted 2nd in the Ovechkin/Malkin year, McDavid/Eichel year or Matthews/Laine year, things would be different. They don't control that, but it is what it is.

But the only way to get a McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon, Laine, Dahlin, Crosby, Ovechkin is to lose and completely rebuild. Once Giroux is gone, the Flyers have nobody close to his level up front, which is why I've been clamoring for Nylander, who I feel could eventually be that type of player.

Reactions: Embiid

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Believe me, when I heard the news I was disappointed. Hextall was one of my heroes when I was a teenager. Bobby Clarke was my idol when I was growing up, I had his poster on my bedroom wall (yes, I'm THAT old). I wish it was Hak that had gotten fired.
Yeah, I really wanted Hak gone and Hextall to stay. I'm extremely disappointed.

Personally, I have zero prior attachments to, or bias in favor of, Hextall, despite what some on here may think. :laugh:

I just really agreed with how he was building this roster. I never watched him play in a single NHL game (I'm 25, so I was 6 years old when he retired), so there's no nostalgia clouding my view of him or anything like that. He was just doing many things the way I would have done them, although there were definitely many things I disagreed with too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad