Video Ron Hextall - A History of Violence

RyK15*

Even as a habs fan you had to marvel at his compete level , you gotta respect hextall but billy smith did it better longer and in the playoffs he kicked it up notches unseen.

I wouldnt want to stand in the blue in front of either of them, but forced to choose id take hextall. Hextall had the badass vibe about him, Billy smith was, at times, seemingly crazy.

Dude in '87 Hextall gave what was probably the best performance in HISTORY by a goaltender. The gritty, rough and tough Flyers almsot ended the Gretzky Oilers' dynasty.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Dude in '87 Hextall gave what was probably the best performance in HISTORY by a goaltender. The gritty, rough and tough Flyers almsot ended the Gretzky Oilers' dynasty.

Probaly the best ?. Seriously ? Roy says hi.

When the isles dynasty was going billy smith was there every year.yes the isles had tons of talent but smith did what you want play big in the playoffs, make the saves to keep you in games and your opponent out of it. He won the last one against the oil, going 13 and 3 and a gaa about two and a half and won a conn smythe.

Hextall was great, but a lot of goalies go hot for short amounts of time (js guigerre).

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
We're running out of character goalies in the NHL. Or maybe goalies who show their emotions on ice. I've seen Quick swing the lumber and Varlamov do that one knee first pump celebration. I'm hoping Petr Mrazek makes it to the NHL just so we can see him do crazy stuff. I like how Lundqvist though brings a new stylized version of goaltending to the NHL. Something a lil different.

djf

Jun 9, 2012
I'm doing my best. :D

The legend must go on!

Thanks for bumping. Man was he an awesome goalie.. thanks for reminding me of just how awesome he was. Gotta love a goalie who stcks up for himself and his teammates instead of just falling down and whining. Dude got **** done himself.

IBLEAF

In the sh-itter @ Scotia bank place
Nov 5, 2009
BARRY'S BAY
remember watching the game when ronny and felix the cat went at it.great times,and ya felix beat him

PPPower

Oct 26, 2010
I almost became a goalie because of Hextall.... he was just soo entertaining

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
I really wish there was another Ron Hextall playing in the league right now. I suppose I'm thankful for Ray Emery, but I want more psycho goalies!

Dtb1381

Dec 30, 2011
Boston
the only thing better than ron hextall was cam neely cleaning out ron hextall. No wonder were lucic got it from

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
People tend to forget the Ron Hextall of the 80's. This guy didn't just have a dominant playoffs in '87 but was actually really good up until he started getting hurt all the time (groin). He was an acrobatic/athletic type of goalie for someone his size so you can see why his play started to deteriorate once he started having chronic groin problems.

Gretzky said "probably the best goaltender I've ever played against in the NHL" and that was around '88 that he said that. Last i checked Gretzky also played against Billy Smith.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
He played back in the day when a player who was 6'3'' was an enforcer. Add in the fact that he used his goalie stick like a fly swatter and it is clear how he was so intimidating as an enforcer, yes i said enforcer. Hextall was amazing at times, but his career started too late. If he played in the early 80's he would have been a HOFer.

one thing is for sure, there will never be a goalie like him.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Hextal was a piece of crap. Swinging his stick around and taking cheap shots at guys knowing he never had to answer for his actions because his teammates would jump in. Have no respect for guys like that. Loved seeing Potvin work him over. Comparing him to someone like Ray Emery who will not only fight, but will fight enforcers is ridiculous.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Hextal was a piece of crap. Swinging his stick around and taking cheap shots at guys knowing he never had to answer for his actions because his teammates would jump in. Have no respect for guys like that. Loved seeing Potvin work him over. Comparing him to someone like Ray Emery who will not only fight, but will fight enforcers is ridiculous.

I dont think that hextall ever worried about having not to answer for his actions and when things got a little sketchy, he wasnt one to look to the bench for help and was more that willing to take matters into his own hands.

emery was crazy, after the hip thing not so much. I still think that hextall had more fighting majors and aside from the emery fight with peters i dont recall him going with other players. Hextall went after chelios for chellys hit on brian propp. Not only was hextall willing to go with anyone, he was happy to be an enforcer in his own right ( between all the slashes and stuff).

people can argue the order but its either hextall/smith or smith/hextall then pretty much everyone else.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
I dont think that hextall ever worried about having not to answer for his actions and when things got a little sketchy, he wasnt one to look to the bench for help and was more that willing to take matters into his own hands.

emery was crazy, after the hip thing not so much. I still think that hextall had more fighting majors and aside from the emery fight with peters i dont recall him going with other players. Hextall went after chelios for chellys hit on brian propp. Not only was hextall willing to go with anyone, he was happy to be an enforcer in his own right ( between all the slashes and stuff).

people can argue the order but its either hextall/smith or smith/hextall then pretty much everyone else.

Emery had 6 fights in the AHL including some against legit fighters.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/2185/fightcard/reg2005

Hextall basically cheap shotted Chelios when he wasn't looking and Hextall was surrounded by teammates. Hextall was a cheap shot artist, not a tough guy

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Emery had 6 fights in the AHL including some against legit fighters.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/2185/fightcard/reg2005

Hextall basically cheap shotted Chelios when he wasn't looking and Hextall was surrounded by teammates. Hextall was a cheap shot artist, not a tough guy
Chelios deserved every bit of that after Chelios had a cheapshot on Propp. Sad that it took the Flyers that long to retaliate, but Hextall took matters into his own hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad