News Article: Ron Burkle on Pens Ownership & Future

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I found the part about Sawyer being more focused on turning profit than building value to be interesting. That fits nicely with all of the work they've done to grow the sport in the area.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Molinari is a gem. I can't believe he's being moved to the Penn State beat, but as this forum's resident Nittany Lion Nut, it's the cloud's silver lining.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Two years ago there was talk of selling the team. I'd wadger this team will be worth 800 million plus when forbes comes out in November.

This is true. However...look at where the team was just after two years ago. GMJR was still trying to clean up Shero's mess, Johnston turned the team into a neutered pile of garbage, Crosby and Malkin were playing like ass, and none of these young guys that are excelling were anything more than an afterthought. Worse yet, the forecast was grim.

You ask them 2 years ago if they would win 2 back to back, everyone would have laughed, including 99% of the posters here.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Ron Burkle is the man. Him and Morehouse have got to be the biggest unsung heroes of this franchise. The success of the franchise, in many ways, can be directly related to them.

mrcod4

Nov 22, 2016
Great article. Nice to see Burkle get more recognition for what he has done for the franchise.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Burkle and Lemieux went public with an attempt to buy the Pirates about 10 years ago. Part of their plan was to use the Pens and the Pirates to put together a local sports network, much like what the Angels and others have done. Nutting was not happy, to say the least, that this became public, and it pissed him off greatly. No matter, because he's not selling his cash cow anyhow, but it embarrassed him and he probably still hates Mario to this day. So, I say, good for Mario.

and when the Northside Cockroaches (known as the Pirates) come crawling for public money for a new stadium in the next decade or so, I hope the city gives them a big fat middle finger....

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
and when the Northside Cockroaches (known as the Pirates) come crawling for public money for a new stadium in the next decade or so, I hope the city gives them a big fat middle finger....

PNC is their home for the next 100 years or whenever they move

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad