News Article: Ron Burkle on Pens Ownership & Future

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Since it's so rare to hear from Burkle (the first and last of these types of interviews, according to the article) I thought it merited its own thread. If it should be moved elsewhere, feel free. There's lots of interesting stuff here, notably that Burkle would like to own the team "forever".

Link

It's by Dave Molinari so you can click guilt-free.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
That was a great read. A bad owner can completely **** up your entire team for generations. We're very lucky to have him and Mario steering the ship.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That was a great read. A bad owner can completely **** up your entire team for generations. We're very lucky to have him and Mario steering the ship.

Was thinking the same thing. This organisation has landed on its feet to have so many guys, top to bottom, who just want to win.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Good article. It took a lot of things to go right to get us where we are today. We got pretty lucky.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Burkle wants to own the team forever? This can't be true! All the Flyers fans who still live in the early-2000's say the team will relocate once Crosby retires! :sarcasm:

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Interesting that part of reaching the second round to get profit

*Paper profit.

Who knows how the cash flow is set up?

I'm no accountant but having your sports team write a loss every year seems like a good business practice for a billionaire.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Didn't they offer to buy the Pirates years back?

Not sure, but someone needs to buy the Pirates. A team I truly wanna consistently follow but hard to do so with how the team is run.

Alway wish Mark Cuban bought the team back in the early 2000's

The Merovingian

May 16, 2009
Burkle and Lemieux wanted to get in on the Pirates. Neither will comment on that. But I'm pretty sure that their denial to speak about it means that they did.

Notice in the article that Burkle keeps on referring to 'value'. I bet that the Pens make money every year, simply making the playoffs. What Mr. Burkle is interested in is the growth in value for the team. And in this light, the value of the Pens in 2010 (according to Forbes) was 235 Million. In 2016? $570 Million. And that's why Mario was thinking on cashing in some of his chips, to have a safety net of cash. Burkle has a ton of cash. Mario does not.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Burkle and Lemieux wanted to get in on the Pirates. Neither will comment on that. But I'm pretty sure that their denial to speak about it means that they did.

Notice in the article that Burkle keeps on referring to 'value'. I bet that the Pens make money every year, simply making the playoffs. What Mr. Burkle is interested in is the growth in value for the team. And in this light, the value of the Pens in 2010 (according to Forbes) was 235 Million. In 2016? $570 Million. And that's why Mario was thinking on cashing in some of his chips, to have a safety net of cash. Burkle has a ton of cash. Mario does not.

True but i imagine Burkle set aside a nice chunk of the 15Million from Vegas to Mario + back to back Cup profits.
Mario's probably pretty gucci now on that front. ie. actual cash on hand.

Perhaps he was just tapped out after building a 20M dollar home in Quebec that was finished in 2012.

Last edited:

The Merovingian

May 16, 2009
Perhaps so. Sounds like Burkle wants to take care of Lemieux. So if he did get that cash, #66 won't be dropping his ownership any time soon.

Which I love.

exHornet

May 14, 2014
Burkle and Lemieux went public with an attempt to buy the Pirates about 10 years ago. Part of their plan was to use the Pens and the Pirates to put together a local sports network, much like what the Angels and others have done. Nutting was not happy, to say the least, that this became public, and it pissed him off greatly. No matter, because he's not selling his cash cow anyhow, but it embarrassed him and he probably still hates Mario to this day. So, I say, good for Mario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->