OT: Romanuk vs Millen

Who is worse at their respective job?

• Total voters

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
If they can’t make replacements from within, Sportsnet should do a reality show for the next announcer duo to replace Romanuk and Millen. Maybe similar to how they did that “Gillette Drafted” show many years back.

They could have a bunch of duos (who are thoroughly screened beforehand) battle it out on different broadcast nights. Maybe even split it up by period. Fans could vote for their favourites, and the eventual winners would get signed to contracts.

I everyone not named Paul Romanuk or Greg Millen would welcome the idea.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
It's a tie, they both lose.

Romanuk is all kinds of inept. If any ordinary person screwed up their job that often, they'd be let go.

Millen may very well be the most boring person on the face of the earth.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I always get excited for a Leafs game day... then I frantically check if the game in on SN or TSN... needless to say, there is much disappointment when I realize it is a weekday game on SN.

Romanuk is actually worse this year than he was last, which I never though possible.

I laugh how he informs us before every game how far he is away from the ice. Yea Paul so are all the other PBP guys, and they can figure out the difference between Brown and Nylander.

Pickle Juice

Sep 27, 2017
oh god roms voice gives me aids

like it puts me off so much i just can't wait for the next tsn game

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Millen (as most analysts) has run his course. He has nothing else to contribute. Time to move on with someone with new and different insight.
Romance doesn't follow the play well. Doesn't know why the play has stopped. That Chaisson gaffe against Phoenix,

Again time to move on with some one better/fresher.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Is it just me, or did Romanuk sound even more fake and forced in his play-by-play last night?
It’s as though he was calling game 7 overtime of the Stanley Cup final on almost every play, and it sounded so fake and lame. I wonder if maybe he thinks every moment is a potential for his voice to be heard in a Sportcenter highlight reel, so he amps his "enthusiasm" as much as he can. All it does though is sound fake and forced when you hear it live.
However, maybe my biased hatred towards his and Millen’s commentary has me hearing it that way? I don’t know.
I just find it rather insulting and condescending, especially combined with all of the other issues those guys have – mistake after mistake, zero knowledge of the game, making stuff up on the fly during the play and on replays.
This is Toronto, the biggest hockey fan base in the entire world. Of course we get shafted with the absolute worst commentating duo in the history of the game, IMO, because we’re all going to watch anyways, right? What a joke.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Yes, leave it up to Millen to call JVR John Vanbiesbrouck (on more than one occasion) or mistake Dan Bylsma with Lindy Ruff.
And even when Greg and Paul aren’t making blatant mistakes, I find that the come off as condescending with their useless commentating in between whistles. It often seems as though they think they’re talking to an audience that has never seen a Leaf game or any hockey game in their entire lives. The comments are often so shallow and repetitive. You can guarantee Millen will say “What a release!” whenever he does a replay of a Matthews shot. Or how Marleau is such a great leader on and off the ice. Or how JVR has such soft hands in front of the net. I understand when players say the same cliche stuff in interviews, but when a commentating duo mails it in every single telecast, that’s a big a problem.
Did you know that Matthews is so good that he can look like he's having a down night, but still turn it around with just one shot? All he needs is just one shot.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Well Millen hasn't recently said a player's father was dead who was actually alive.

So advantage Millen for now.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Did you know that Matthews is so good that he can look like he's having a down night, but still turn it around with just one shot? All he needs is just one shot.

Fascinating stuff.

Just like I didn't know how good Kucherov or Vasilevskiy was, until the all-knowing tandem of knowledge and insight informed me. Or how Stamkos falling down near Patrick Marleau was because Marleau was taking revenge on Stamkos for hitting his linemate, and he used his veteran superpowers to make him fall to the ice without touching him. Thanks guys!

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
They are so biased towards the Leafs, it's ridiculous! if they would just call the game 50/50, they would be ok.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Hmmm, how can I put this eloquently?

I want Romanuk to be put in a rocket and launched into the sun and for Millen to be incinerated by the rocket's after-burn as he's waving goodbye.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Hmmm, how can I put this eloquently?

I want Romanuk to be put in a rocket and launched into the sun and for Millen to be incinerated by the rocket's after-burn as he's waving goodbye.

Lol.
And knowing our luck, that rocket will malfunction, twist and turn itself around, take the scenic route and serpentine itself back towards earth, drop it's shoulder and come on back inside the earth's atmosphere, all caught on TV.
Then they’ll play a replay of it, and Millen will watch the replay along with everyone else and try to keep up and shout “RIGHT THERE!” with authority at the most obvious part that we all already saw live.
Romanuk will then announce his own tragic death to the world, and a day later apologize, saying he mistook himself with Paul Walker from The Fast & The Furious, because his 56 year old brain tricked him into saying that.
All will be back to normal in Leaf land.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Lol.
And knowing our luck, that rocket will malfunction, twist and turn itself around, take the scenic route and serpentine itself back towards earth, drop it's shoulder and come on back inside the earth's atmosphere, all caught on TV.
Then they’ll play a replay of it, and Millen will watch the replay along with everyone else and try to keep up and shout “RIGHT THERE!” with authority at the most obvious part that we all already saw live.
Romanuk will then announce his own tragic death to the world, and a day later apologize, saying he mistook himself with Paul Walker from The Fast & The Furious, because his 56 year old brain tricked him into saying that.
All will be back to normal in Leaf land.
*slow clap*

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I vote Millen, because the colour guy is supposed to provide insights and I always feel he offers nothing but phoney sounding superficial analysis. A guy like Ferraro at least gives you something to consider, I dismiss Millen immediately. Romanuk is awful, Millen is dreadful.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I encourage everyone to stop watching SNs broadcasts. Find streams if you want but hit em in the only thing they understand, their wallets filled with the tears of hockey fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad