OT: Romanuk vs Millen

Who is worse at their respective job?

• Total voters

mrJT

Mar 4, 2013
Toronto
Romanuk should be fired for that gaff last night. He's an embarrassment and his voice is unbearable.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Romanuk is really bad.

But nobody is worse than Millen.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't think Romanuk is very good at his job, but he doesn't do more than annoy me a bit. I don't think he's that bad at conveying the feeling of the game either, plenty of his comparables do a worse job there. Listen to the Capitals play-by-play guy, for example. It's like he's having a conversation over the breakfast table no matter what happens, except for his goal calls where he just seems like he's trying to sound cool.

Millen is worse. He's there to provide explanation and in-depth reference on what's going on, and often it feels like he does more harm than good. He tried to push the Matthews angle so hard in the last game that it became nonsensical. Nylander dashing in, creating a chance, hunting down the puck, winning the puck back and forcing a shot on Wellwood out of nothing turned into.... him exuding how Matthews was taking over the game.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
@SprDaVE

Just carrying on a reply from the PGT in which you commented that:

No it wouldn't. The food sucks and you can safely say their food sucks any time you want. You can say it here, on Yelp, and other places. I don't need to be Gordon Ramsay to say that my chicken is raw.

So this goes into this conversation. People hate what Romanuk provides and would prefer him gone. If you like and enjoy his content, that's your opinion just as much as the guy that doesn't like him and would prefer some one else.

You can say you don't like it. But if you are saying it isn't Michelin quality or it was served raw... but really it wasn't.... that could be an issue.

(Some) Reviewers on yelp and other services are facing lawsuits now as companies fight back. Particularly big in a world with fake reviewers and the impact reviews have on income.

You have a right to say what you want to say but you also have to ensure that it is factual. Some of the things said about Paul R probably aren't factual (ie. when someone said he gets 2/3 of the calls wrong).

I don't mind him. His voice reminds me of World Junior Games from years ago. Bringing me excitement from places I've never seen.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
@SprDaVE

Just carrying on a reply from the PGT in which you commented that:

Then argue those "facts" brought, not the opinions some have. You told someone that didn't like the product to submit his resume. You can twist your logic anyway you want but it doesn't make it any less questionable to bring up.

I never really cared talking about broadcasters. From the days of the Habs fans hating Bob Cole to Jim Hughson and his hate of the Leafs to Romanuk. I'm not much of a fan of the latter 2 but I don't need a broadcaster to elevate my love for the game or to enjoy it. What I don't like is people appealing to authority or bringing up bad arguments that are pretty hypocritical.

I'll probably just leave it at that. Cheers dude.

EDIT: Just forgot to mention that Glenn Healy was probably the only commentator that ever made me internally angry for spewing non sense. He was the worst commentator I've ever witnessed and listened to and I'm glad he's unemployed. Don't sue me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pookie

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Unless the broadcaster is completely biased, and anyone who thinks they are not mustn't be listening (the amount varies), I really don't pay much attention to what they say.

If you watch other teams you'll know they all make mistakes.

I'm usually watching the game and can see if a puck is passed, or someone dekes someone, or the goaltender makes a good or horrendous save/play.

I suppose for the visually impaired or radio you'd want the least mistakes, but while watching the audio is really insignificant in importance.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I missed the game, what was last nights gaff. Sometimes they are hilarious

Paul and Greg were talking about Coyote defenseman Jakob Chychrun during a stoppage, and Paul said that Jakob’s father Jeff, a former NHLer, died in a car crash, when in fact he is alive and well. Later in the game he had to apologize for the mistake, which he blamed on his 56 year old brain somehow mixing up Jeff Chychrun with former Red Wing Steve Chaisson who died in a car accident when he tried to drive drunk in back in 1999.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Unless the broadcaster is completely biased, and anyone who thinks they are not mustn't be listening (the amount varies), I really don't pay much attention to what they say.

If you watch other teams you'll know they all make mistakes.

I'm usually watching the game and can see if a puck is passed, or someone dekes someone, or the goaltender makes a good or horrendous save/play.

I suppose for the visually impaired or radio you'd want the least mistakes, but while watching the audio is really insignificant in importance.
Well then good for you and your ability to block out the audio and still enjoy the game viewing experience. I think most people, unless they’re hearing impaired or watch games on mute, still can’t help but hear what the announcers are saying. And as much as you might want to block it out, it’s still audio that’s going into your ears and you, well, listen to it. Quite the phenomenon. The audio is in fact very significant.

All announcers make mistakes, that’s obvious. I’ve watched a lot hockey outside of Leafs broadcasts throughout the year, and I notice them as well. But nobody makes as many mistakes and says as many puzzling things as Millen and Romanuk. It’s not even close.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Paul and Greg were talking about Coyote defenseman Jakob Chychrun during a stoppage, and Paul said that Jakob’s father Jeff, a former NHLer, died in a car crash, when in fact he is alive and well. Later in the game he had to apologize for the mistake, which he blamed on his 56 year old brain somehow mixing up Jeff Chychrun with former Red Wing Steve Chaisson who died in a car accident when he tried to drive drunk in back in 1999.

oh man, Millen had to apologize for something earlier this year in a game. He is usally the one that makes the egregious mistakes, Romanuk comes out with the Bobcat type ones that you have to laugh at

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well then good for you and your ability to block out the audio and still enjoy the game viewing experience. I think most people, unless they’re hearing impaired or watch games on mute, still can’t help but hear what the announcers are saying. And as much as you might want to block it out, it’s still audio that’s going into your ears and you, well, listen to it. Quite the phenomenon. The audio is in fact very significant.

All announcers make mistakes, that’s obvious. I’ve watched a lot hockey outside of Leafs broadcasts throughout the year, and I notice them as well. But nobody makes as many mistakes and says as many puzzling things as Millen and Romanuk. It’s not even close.

I'm married, 3 adult kids ... blocking out noise isn't difficult.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
oh man, Millen had to apologize for something earlier this year in a game. He is usally the one that makes the egregious mistakes, Romanuk comes out with the Bobcat type ones that you have to laugh at
Yes, leave it up to Millen to call JVR John Vanbiesbrouck (on more than one occasion) or mistake Dan Bylsma with Lindy Ruff.
And even when Greg and Paul aren’t making blatant mistakes, I find that the come off as condescending with their useless commentating in between whistles. It often seems as though they think they’re talking to an audience that has never seen a Leaf game or any hockey game in their entire lives. The comments are often so shallow and repetitive. You can guarantee Millen will say “What a release!” whenever he does a replay of a Matthews shot. Or how Marleau is such a great leader on and off the ice. Or how JVR has such soft hands in front of the net. I understand when players say the same cliche stuff in interviews, but when a commentating duo mails it in every single telecast, that’s a big a problem.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
The way Romanuk says scores really bothers me too,

"and he SCEURS"

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I just watch the away feed every Sportsnet broadcast. Problem solved.

Still, I voted Millen because he constantly gets things wrong in slow motion and rarely ever corrects himself. Romanuk may have tried to kill Jeff Chychrun but at least he corrected himself eventually and nobody was harmed in the end.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
Favourite Romanuk moment. Now I'm not so sure it was "like a panther on a goldfinch".

The nicest thing I'll say about Paul is that he did a lot for international hockey over the years. Mistakes and all at least he's consistent. He'll call a goal scored by a Carolina or Florida with as much enthusiasm as he does for our goals.
Unlike Hughson and Simpson whose tones and timbre vary wildly, depending on how salty they are feeling against our team. They do their fair share of mailing it in if we put a game away early, and although it's better than hearing jabs or their fantasizing about how our opponent can come back this way or that, you never come away with a good feeling about them. If they could shed that bias they would give no cause for complaint. There's a few people who for some reason freak out whenever Hughson is criticized, but you never see anyone calling out Gord Miller, Randorf, Cuthbert, present day Bob Cole.

All of this came about from Rogers taking a bath on the rights. Ideally they could have poached the TSN talent and kept Hughson based out of Vancouver and given us Cuthbert or Miller.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I've tried muting the game, just listen to some music, we all know what we're watching... its sad that its gotten to this point, however.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I'm normally indifferent about commentary as it doesn't impact my viewing experience as much as some others, but I've never heard a PBP guy interrupt calling the play to interject boring anecdotes or pointless tidbits of information that no one cares about like Romanuk. Just call the came ffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->