Confirmed with Link: Romanov signs three year ELC

boss10

Jun 19, 2010
I read some forum on rds, etc...and it's crazy of how many posters did not seen him play.....

Jeez, we had 2 world juniors To see him and people have only watched highlights of him...

I watched every single game of Romanov at the world juniors in the last 2 years...and man.....I love this kid so much. His attitude is perfect and he will be a fan favorite
This 100%...the kid dominated WJC 2 years straight...played in the KHL with men...someone said Emelin 2.0???...more towards the Markov side with less offence...he is the future anchor of our D. After Weber and Petry he is our 3rd best D right now. He does not need AHL...he spent 2 years playing with men and his body is big enough to handle NHL.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If Mete is back to form of his two previous seasons, it'd be a mistake to put chiarot there. Mete in his first two seasons was miles ahead defensively and while Chiarot is better offensively, it's negligible compared to the difference defensively. Mete has been by far Weber's best partner over the last 3 years and by a fair margin.

And whether it was Chiarot or Mete, our biggest problem is finding the right partner for Petry. In the last three seasons, Petry's overall defensively play has sucked with whoever was paired up with him, and those pairing mates have fared about the same.

I'd try Weber-Mete once more and try Romanov with Petry. Chiarot is super efficient on a 3rd pairing.

If Mete is back to form, that's your best bet for a strong d-corps.

And for anyone disagreeing with me, please go look at our D's GAA in their respective roles. Weber-Mete is miles ahead of any pairing we've had since Markov left.
If Mete puts on a 5-8 lbs of muscle and improves his shot this summer, while still keeping his mobility intact or even improving it, and perhaps does it again the following summer, he will make a strong case to stay in the line-up. I think that Mete is the better complement for Weber as Chiarot is for Petry, given how their strengths mesh together. With Romanov joining the team, it's shaping up as at least a decent-skating defensive squad. What the team needs above all is an offensive star and perhaps inspired (or inspirational) coaching.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This 100%...the kid dominated WJC 2 years straight...played in the KHL with men...someone said Emelin 2.0???...more towards the Markov side with less offence...he is the future anchor of our D. After Weber and Petry he is our 3rd best D right now. He does not need AHL...he spent 2 years playing with men and his body is big enough to handle NHL.

The AHL could help develop his offence against men as he was not allowed to do that in the KHL. We will need to see in the exhibition games how he does on that side of the puck with more freedom.

Reactions: DavePeak

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Bergevin better hope Romanov works out and eventually goes on the top pairing or that Mete goes back to his previous form, because Chiarot should be nowhere near a first pairing.

Some here seem inamoured with the mobile dman, but his underlying defensive numbers on the first and second pairing making it clear we won't ever win a championship woth him on the first pairing.
Mete is a good guy, plaisant personality, works hard, intelligent, etc but we can't have him on first pairing D. Too bad for him but he's just doesn't have enough weight to do such a job. I would try Romanov before using Mete again.
Or he's gonna become Desharnais of the defensive corp.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
The thing I'm most excited about for Romanov is to see him play on NA ice. I think his game is very well suited for it. He loves closing quickly on guys and making quick stops, which is how the Habs want to play in their zone. He also processes the game quickly and I think that will help his game with the puck. He moves the puck quickly and can skate it if needed. Can play both sides. I'm excited! But let's give him at least 2 full season before we expect him to be a full time top 4. I'm sure he'll get time over the next 2 seasons as a top 4 but it would be asking too much I think to expect it from day 1.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's ready to play in the AHL? Wow that's amazing. Please don't rush him. Would love to see Laval with KK, Romanov, Poehling, Teasdale, Hillis, Fleury, Brook, etc. That would be fun.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

He is definitely closer to Emelin than Markov but he doesn’t have Emelin size... He barely played in the KHL and even if he played against man he is still just 5’11’’ 185lbs. I still think we have to temper expectation, not sure he can go from playing 12min in the KHL not seeing much quality ice time to first pairing in the NHL... He will probably have a bit of a adjustment period to even be a regular top 6D in the NHL.

Reactions: Vachon23

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Nice. Would be nice to have him play on the 1st pair in Laval but who am I kidding, it's the Habs way to rush him.
He played 2 years great years in the KHL after his draft year. He doesn’t need to go to Laval. He’s ready for the NHL.

It’s the same thing with Suzuki. He had 2 great years in the OHL after his draft year but everyone was sure he needed to play in Laval first. That would’ve been a mistake.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He played 2 years great years in the KHL after his draft year. He doesn’t need to go to Laval. He’s ready for the NHL.

It’s the same thing with Suzuki. He had 2 great years in the OHL after his draft year but everyone was sure he needed to play in Laval first. That would’ve been a mistake.

Sorry but the KHL is not the NHL and he should not be rushed for no reason if he shows at camp, whenever that might be, that he is not ready for the NHL speed, etc.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Suzuki also dominated the OHL whereas Romanovs 11 points in 86 games isn't exactly earth shattering. I'm aware that you can't evaluate a guy like Romanov this way, but he's got a lot to prove besides his WJC that he's NHL ready. Suzuki on the other hand had a better track record but was also very impressive at camp.

Reactions: Vachon23

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Suzuki also dominated the OHL whereas Romanovs 11 points in 86 games isn't exactly earth shattering. I'm aware that you can't evaluate a guy like Romanov this way, but he's got a lot to prove besides his WJC that he's NHL ready. Suzuki on the other hand had a better track record but was also very impressive at camp.
We'll see. During his first camp, Suzuki seemed overwhelmed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad