Confirmed with Link: Romanov signs three year ELC

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Bergevin better hope Romanov works out and eventually goes on the top pairing or that Mete goes back to his previous form, because Chiarot should be nowhere near a first pairing.

Some here seem inamoured with the mobile dman, but his underlying defensive numbers on the first and second pairing making it clear we won't ever win a championship woth him on the first pairing.

He’s still by far right know the best option we have but yes he would be better on a 2nd pair. That’s why we absolutely need a top 4 right know

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
that’s what I would do if we are still not able to bring a top 4

If Mete is back to form of his two previous seasons, it'd be a mistake to put chiarot there. Mete in his first two seasons was miles ahead defensively and while Chiarot is better offensively, it's negligible compared to the difference defensively. Mete has been by far Weber's best partner over the last 3 years and by a fair margin.

And whether it was Chiarot or Mete, our biggest problem is finding the right partner for Petry. In the last three seasons, Petry's overall defensively play has sucked with whoever was paired up with him, and those pairing mates have fared about the same.

I'd try Weber-Mete once more and try Romanov with Petry. Chiarot is super efficient on a 3rd pairing.

If Mete is back to form, that's your best bet for a strong d-corps.

And for anyone disagreeing with me, please go look at our D's GAA in their respective roles. Weber-Mete is miles ahead of any pairing we've had since Markov left.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
He’s still by far right know the best option we have but yes he would be better on a 2nd pair. That’s why we absolutely need a top 4 right know

He's not our best option. You seem to live in a very limited time frame. Mete is far superior to Chiarot. He had some injuries this year and didnt look the same. Pretty sure he'll be back to form.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
He's not our best option. You seem to live in a very limited time frame. Mete is far superior to Chiarot. He had some injuries this year and didnt look the same. Pretty sure he'll be back to form.
No he isn't.

Chiarot was a very, very, pleasant surprise this year. Mete is fine, but he's a bottom pairing guy who can skate well. He looked good next to Weber but that's because nearly everyone does.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Can't wait to watch Romanov, this team sorely lacks some of the elements he brings.

As per the discussion above: you know things are bleak on LD when a guy with a career high of 15 assists is your best offensive option. It'll be another long season with that left side going up against the Pastrnak's and Panarin's of this league.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If Mete is back to form of his two previous seasons, it'd be a mistake to put chiarot there. Mete in his first two seasons was miles ahead defensively and while Chiarot is better offensively, it's negligible compared to the difference defensively. Mete has been by far Weber's best partner over the last 3 years and by a fair margin.

And whether it was Chiarot or Mete, our biggest problem is finding the right partner for Petry. In the last three seasons, Petry's overall defensively play has sucked with whoever was paired up with him, and those pairing mates have fared about the same.

I'd try Weber-Mete once more and try Romanov with Petry. Chiarot is super efficient on a 3rd pairing.

If Mete is back to form, that's your best bet for a strong d-corps.

And for anyone disagreeing with me, please go look at our D's GAA in their respective roles. Weber-Mete is miles ahead of any pairing we've had since Markov left.

I totally agree on this point that the problem was always that we never able to find a partner to play with Petry. That’s why if we trade for a guy like Brodin, I think I would put him with Petry and keep Chiarot with Weber because you can put anybody with Weber and it will work

Reactions: DavePeak

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
No he isn't.

Chiarot was a very, very, pleasant surprise this year. Mete is fine, but he's a bottom pairing guy who can skate well. He looked good next to Weber but that's because nearly everyone does.

What you stated is an opinion.

Go look at all he pairing's numbers over the last three seasons, now those are facts and those facts go against your opinion.

"everyone looks good with Weber" is such a lame argument. It completely discounts if there are any statistical differences. And there are differences. Chiarot with Weber allows close to 1 goal per 60 minutes more than with Mete.

If you don't intend to go look at those stats, please don't reply. I'm uninterested in your storytelling.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I totally agree on this point that the problem was always that we never able to find a partner to play with Petry. That’s why if we trade for a guy like Brodin, I think I would put him with Petry and keep Chiarot with Weber because you can put anybody with Weber and it will work

Chiarot with Weber didnt work. Stop saying that. Oh yeah they produced offensively, but defensively they were a total wreck compared to when Mete was with Weber.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Chiarot with Weber didnt work. Stop saying that. Oh yeah they produced offensively, but defensively they were a total wreck compared to when Mete was with Weber.
A huge difference is how the pairings were utilized and who they were matched up against for the majority of their shifts. That's something that unfortunately the advance stats don't take into account accurately.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
A huge difference is how the pairings were utilized and who they were matched up against for the majority of their shifts. That's something that unfortunately the advance stats don't take into account accurately.

that’s exactly what I was to right. Chiarot-Weber where used vs the best players of each team. Mete was more protected

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
that’s exactly what I was to right. Chiarot-Weber where used vs the best players of each team. Mete was more protected
I agree.

I'd love to see Meat take the next step in his game but until it happens on a consistent basis, Weber and Chiarot will be tough to split up.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
I read some forum on rds, etc...and it's crazy of how many posters did not seen him play.....

Jeez, we had 2 world juniors To see him and people have only watched highlights of him...

I watched every single game of Romanov at the world juniors in the last 2 years...and man.....I love this kid so much. His attitude is perfect and he will be a fan favorite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad