Roman Voloshenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
I generally don't like making these types of comparisons, but from what little I've seen of Voloshenko, he reminded me quite a bit of Dino Ciccarelli. Not a very good skater, but a smart player, with an uncanny ability to just suddenly appear out of nowhere with the puck on his stick, and absolutely lethal from anywhere inside the tops of the faceoff circles.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
superroyain10 said:
A natural goal scorer that possess a quality shot, he elevates his game in key situations. He tries to be the prototypical powerforward, but there is no way he can be the same in the NHL considering his size. A clutch scorer, I think his skating problems are slightly overrated, even though he does need work. I remember one goal where he literally snuck up on a defenseman and buried a pass. He does a very good job getting open. Unlike many fancy forwards, he won't amaze you with a brilliant end-to-end rush, but he will be an effective finisher on a odd-man-rush. Obviously, this makes him effective on the powerplay, although not as the quarterback.

Although he is not selfish with the puck, I have never seen him make a daring pass; he lacks elite hockey sense. However, he seems to be defensively responsible, although with better skating he would not be caught down low so much. Surprisingly, he plays a very legal, clean game; he never takes a dumb penatly. Considering his inferior speed, one would think that he would be hooking and holding all the time, he he has refrained from that. He could very well be a poor man's Luc Robataille. In a way he is like Brett Hull, but Voloshenko does not have as good a slap shot, nor does he use it as often. Like many, he cannot "create space;" he needs effective linemates. He has to be a secondary scoring threat on the first two lines. Since Gaborik, Sullivan, and Pouliot ahead of him, that is probably the role he will be asked to follow.

Pouliot and Voloshenko should form a very good 1-2 punch on the left wing. With a top-notch playmaking center (Koivu?), Pouliot and Voloshenko could line up on opposite wings and be an absolutely killer line. Actually, Minnesota could have two deadly powerplay-units in a few years:

Pouliot-Koivu-Voloshenko
Foster-Thelen

Gaborik-O'Sullivan-winger
Aiello-Burns(if hes playing defense, that is :) )

Thanks!

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
superroyain10 said:
Pouliot and Voloshenko should form a very good 1-2 punch on the left wing. With a top-notch playmaking center (Koivu?), Pouliot and Voloshenko could line up on opposite wings and be an absolutely killer line. Actually, Minnesota could have two deadly powerplay-units in a few years:

Pouliot-Koivu-Voloshenko
Foster-Thelen

Gaborik-O'Sullivan-winger
Aiello-Burns(if hes playing defense, that is :) )

Don't forget about Bouchard!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
A lot of critics commented on how awkward Voloshenko skated and how slow he is. His shot wasn't questioned but I think his skating pushed him down to the second round. IMO, I think Minnesota got a major steal in Voloshenko. Given that his teammates are AHL veterans, he is still putting up massive points. Combined with Law, Westrum and O'Sullivan, they are putting up around 4 points a game.

Adding in O'Sullivan to that line they have 126 points in 29 games...

Yeah I think O'Sullivan and Voloshenko are really proving critics and other GMs wrong not to take a gamble on these two.

Wish Minnesota would call one of them up. Preferbly O'Sullivan since Voloshenko might need half a year next year to fine tune his game. Was a little streaky in the beginning but is catching on.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
well

Voloshenko is what 19 years old, and tied for the lead in the AHL in goals scored, plus he missed a few games with passport issues earlier in the year.

I can forsee him putting in a great performance in the WJC tourney with malkin and Radulov....all 3 of them will be great NHL talents.

Fender

Jun 24, 2002
Roman Volochenko

Looking for oppinions of him. Does he have a chance of making the big club this year?

I think he's going to be a serious goalscorer in a few years.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He has a small chance but with Pouliot and Foy ahead of him, not to mention so veterans and an extra D...It's very unlikely. Another year in the AHL without Law and Westrum could do the guy well.

The Big E

Oct 5, 2005
Minneapolis
I think Voloshenko has a shot. As Doob's mentioned, it'll be between Foy, Pouliot and Voloshenko. I think that Pouliot is the long-shot of the three as a year playing in Houston wouldn't hurt him at all as opposed to watching from the press box most of the season. Foy seems like he's ready and Roman showed he's a pretty good goalscorer in his rookie season. I lean towards the 23 spot on the roster is Foy's to earn because I think Lemaire and Risebrough want a grinder in the 23rd spot.

There are two outside, long-shot darkhorses, though: Wyatt Smith and Danny Irmen. Both would make good grinders although Irmen has offensive potential. However, a year in Houston wouldn't hurt Irmen at all.

The Big E

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
Even if he doesn't make the team right out of camp, you'll see him play some NHL games this season. He'll be one of the first callups when a forward is injured, and if he plays well, he may finish the season in St. Paul even if he doesn't start there.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
And as for Poulliot - I'm still waiting for one single person to offer a convincing explanation for why they think he's ready for the NHL, other than the fact that he was drafted #4 overall a year ago. What did he prove last season that makes people think he's ready to go straight to the show?

Americans

Mar 19, 2006
Whats happen with him? Played 68 games and only 29 points and -22 :eek: Can wee see him play with the big Boys next season?:shakehead

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Deadly around the net, has a fantastic shot and good on garbage goals but can't create offense on his own. Played with AHL allstars last year......this year playing with :thumbd:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Where is this kid right now? Hockeydb has nothing on him playing, is he even playing right now?

the russian board never answers this quetion i ask so maybe others can help..

thanks

captain AARON MAIDEN*

Voloshenko started to practice with Ak Bars Kazan
GP7 7G+9A with Kazan B-team... in third division
AK Bars has released Voloshenko(12-14-2007)...has ben sent to Dynamo Moscow 4GP 0G+1A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad