Roman Voloshenko

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyIsALegend*

Roman Voloshenko is 6'1" and 190 pounds on a good day.

In the games I saw him play for Russie at the world under-18's, he played physical. I've heard that the knock on him is the consistency with both his work ethic and physicality. Perhaps it was because it was on a bigger stage, but he looked very good for Russia. He tied for the scoring lead in the tournament with 11 points in 6 games and was very effective.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Voloshenko's problem is skating...he's not that fast--but he's got "great hands" for scoring...He's a finisher who needs to play with other good players who can set him up-- otherwise he won't be effective by himself...

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Roman Voloshenko...

We all know once you get drafted by the Wild, you fall off the face of the Earth unless you do something extremely stupendous (ala O'Sullivan and ripping Fleury a new one to capture a gold medal for the US team last year). But I'm kind of curious about this guy. Obviously one of the reasons he fell so hard was because of his skating abilities. Minnesota has placed importance on skating before but two of their highlighted picks have skating problems. Koivu and Voloshenko. We all know about Koivu's lack of foot speed but he has gotten better and can plod he way around the ice. And the guy has uncanny abilities as a center. But my question lies with Voloshenko. The guy was taken in the middle round of the 2nd round, when some of us were reporting the guy would have been taken in the first round. Obviously something more was wrong with the guy other than his foot speed but what? A really weird rumor I heard is the fact that it is so hard to get hockey players out of Russia and that it might have been hard to get Voloshenko out of Russia, so that's partly why he slipped. But to illustrate my point, a post appeared on our official board saying that Voloshenko has played in five games already with the Krylia Soveta or whatever and has scored FOUR GOALS and TWO ASSISTS, and is currently their team scoring leader. Now I know that's not a very big accomplishment for a player of his magnitude, but I want to get a more balanced opinion about the guy and was for an offensive guy he fell so far, further than Schremp. The rumor was that this guy was pretty freaking sweet before draft day.

And on that point, what the happened to Julien Sprunger. CSS had him at like 80 something and he fell to like the 6th round...I thought the guy was suppose to be one of the best non-goalie Swiss players to come out of Switzerland...which maybe is why he isn't that great is because the competition in Switz isn't that great. But what about these two Euro players? Are they not as good as scouts predicted?

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
We all know once you get drafted by the Wild, you fall off the face of the Earth unless you do something extremely stupendous (ala O'Sullivan and ripping Fleury a new one to capture a gold medal for the US team last year). But I'm kind of curious about this guy. Obviously one of the reasons he fell so hard was because of his skating abilities. Minnesota has placed importance on skating before but two of their highlighted picks have skating problems. Koivu and Voloshenko. We all know about Koivu's lack of foot speed but he has gotten better and can plod he way around the ice. And the guy has uncanny abilities as a center. But my question lies with Voloshenko. The guy was taken in the middle round of the 2nd round, when some of us were reporting the guy would have been taken in the first round. Obviously something more was wrong with the guy other than his foot speed but what? A really weird rumor I heard is the fact that it is so hard to get hockey players out of Russia and that it might have been hard to get Voloshenko out of Russia, so that's partly why he slipped. But to illustrate my point, a post appeared on our official board saying that Voloshenko has played in five games already with the Krylia Soveta or whatever and has scored FOUR GOALS and TWO ASSISTS, and is currently their team scoring leader. Now I know that's not a very big accomplishment for a player of his magnitude, but I want to get a more balanced opinion about the guy and was for an offensive guy he fell so far, further than Schremp. The rumor was that this guy was pretty freaking sweet before draft day.

And on that point, what the happened to Julien Sprunger. CSS had him at like 80 something and he fell to like the 6th round...I thought the guy was suppose to be one of the best non-goalie Swiss players to come out of Switzerland...which maybe is why he isn't that great is because the competition in Switz isn't that great. But what about these two Euro players? Are they not as good as scouts predicted?

Jeff O'Neill dropping from as high as #14 to fourth round shocked me. I liked Voloshenko and was hoping the Caps would give him a whirl at 33. I'm VERY pleasantly surprised by Bourque so far.

db23

Hockeydb shows Voloshenko with 1 solitary assist in 5 games with Krylia. Maybe you should double check your source.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm sure his numbers check out, as Krilja Sovetov is in the 2nd division in Russia.

db23

No, they're back in the RSL. Maybe he played for Krylia 2, which is the farm team. The level of play there is about Junior C.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
db23 said:
Hockeydb shows Voloshenko with 1 solitary assist in 5 games with Krylia. Maybe you should double check your source.

Hockey DB is also slow when it comes to Euro Prospects, it's not one of the best places to get information about Euro players. Two examples are Khudobin and Kopriva from the Wild, it took them a while to get their information correct about both players.

But the question remains, what is wrong with Volo?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
hockeydb is now updating RSL stats daily. The real question remains: What league is Voloshenko playing in?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Are they? I'm getting from one of our Russian informants he's playing in the Supers...

Unless I smacked my head, I'm seeing 2002-2003 Roman played 5 games and had 1 assist...

John

May 25, 2004
I follow the same team to watch Cap's pick Mikhail Yunkov. I believe they've played six games and Voloshenko has four goals and two assists. They're also definitely in the Russian high league.

The only thing I heard about Voloshenko is skating and possibly that he doesn't hustle enough to be successful in an NA game. Still... leading the U-18 team in scoring and now leading his Russian team... pretty impressive.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Krylia Sovetov (Soviet Wings) are still in the High League this year.

DoobieDoobieDo said:
Voloshenko has played in five games already with the Krylia Soveta or whatever and has scored FOUR GOALS and TWO ASSISTS, and is currently their team scoring leader. Now I know that's not a very big accomplishment for a player of his magnitude

Actually, those numbers are quite an accomplishment - that's if those are his real stats. 6 points in 5 games in the High League is really impressive for a player of his age.

Last edited:

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Voloshenko plays for Krylia Sovetov main team in High League. Main team roster is there - http://www.kriliasovetov.ru/team/roster.php You can notice that they have a very young squad. As i know from reports Roman plays with Yun'kov and Krutov.

http://www.kriliasovetov.ru/team/stats.php Main team stats from 24 Sept. (Yeah, they are a bit low ;) ). Voloshenko leads team in scoring with (5pts)His linemate Yun'kov isn't far behind with 4pts.

guy was taken in the middle round of the 2nd round, when some of us were reporting the guy would have been taken in the first round. Obviously something more was wrong with the guy other than his foot speed but what?
Why do you think that there is something wrong ? Lisin went 50th and has more points in RSL than AO and EM combined together and when i've seen him he looked very mature and super fast (but AO is still better, imo, it's just bad luck for Ovechkin). Voloshenko went 55th and leads team in scoring. What do you expect Roman ? :)

http://www.kriliasovetov.ru/images/report/04-09-23/19.jpg Picture of Voloshenko in 7:1 win against HC Dizel (1G+2A by Roman)

Cann't find any Roman video.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Roman Voloshenko signed a three year contract...

Coming over to play in the AHL? Most likely since Houston has been semi-gutted...

TeamSeals

Feb 27, 2005
Minnetonka
one prospect in Houston now, too bad we wont see any of those for a while if the wild keep drafting like they did yesterday.

DW

May 3, 2003
MN
Visit site
It was a scary draft for the Wild (oustside of Pouliot) but we should still give some of these guys some chance to improve.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
can some give me info on this guy. is he gonna see the nhl? if so when? is he good? what kind of player is he

thanks

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He just signed a contract and will most likely play in the AHL this year. It'll be a few years but I think he could be a second line winger.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
He, Radulov and Yunkov formed a rather effective line in junior-age competition and it will be interesting to see how many of the three make it to and/or stick in the NHL. I agree that they are likely to play either in the pro minors here, else in the RSL, for a little while before they get a taste.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Voloshenko is a goal scorer and has a good shot. he will make it to the NHL and can be effective.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
WILDTATE10 said:
Voloshenko is a goal scorer and has a good shot. he will make it to the NHL and can be effective.

I think he'll need to work on his skating. His line was solid in the ReMax games but let's see how he does without those two...

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I just noticed that he was tearing it up in the AHL. 13 goals in 22 games, that`s mighty impressive for a nineteen year old! :eek:
So what`s the scouting report on him! At least from a statistical standpoint, he looks like a great second round pick!

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
A natural goal scorer that possess a quality shot, he elevates his game in key situations. He tries to be the prototypical powerforward, but there is no way he can be the same in the NHL considering his size. A clutch scorer, I think his skating problems are slightly overrated, even though he does need work. I remember one goal where he literally snuck up on a defenseman and buried a pass. He does a very good job getting open. Unlike many fancy forwards, he won't amaze you with a brilliant end-to-end rush, but he will be an effective finisher on a odd-man-rush. Obviously, this makes him effective on the powerplay, although not as the quarterback.

Although he is not selfish with the puck, I have never seen him make a daring pass; he lacks elite hockey sense. However, he seems to be defensively responsible, although with better skating he would not be caught down low so much. Surprisingly, he plays a very legal, clean game; he never takes a dumb penatly. Considering his inferior speed, one would think that he would be hooking and holding all the time, he he has refrained from that. He could very well be a poor man's Luc Robataille. In a way he is like Brett Hull, but Voloshenko does not have as good a slap shot, nor does he use it as often. Like many, he cannot "create space;" he needs effective linemates. He has to be a secondary scoring threat on the first two lines. Since Gaborik, Sullivan, and Pouliot ahead of him, that is probably the role he will be asked to follow.

Pouliot and Voloshenko should form a very good 1-2 punch on the left wing. With a top-notch playmaking center (Koivu?), Pouliot and Voloshenko could line up on opposite wings and be an absolutely killer line. Actually, Minnesota could have two deadly powerplay-units in a few years:

Pouliot-Koivu-Voloshenko
Foster-Thelen

Gaborik-O'Sullivan-winger
Aiello-Burns(if hes playing defense, that is :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad