Roman Josi vs Seth Jones

Better Defenseman Moving Forward

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Jones for me. Josi is a clear step up offensively but I think Jones age, well rounded-ness and shutdown ability makes him better going forward. But he may not peak as high as Josi did last year.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I prefer Josi as a player. I think he’s much better at driving play and is obviously a more gifted offensive player.

The age difference would probably lead me to take Jones though.

Reactions: Eegs

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
For a defenceman? Most defensemen haven't fully developed by 26. I expect Jones will continue to get better for a few more years.
Maybe slightly, but I think at 500 games and 26 years old Jones is what he is. The bigger question is what will happen to Josi's game as he ages and exits his prime

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
For a defenceman? Most defensemen haven't fully developed by 26. I expect Jones will continue to get better for a few more years.

Not really. Analytically defensemen have been shown to peak at 24 just like forwards. The reason you see defensemen "peaking" at 26-28 is because many of them don't break into the league in terms of major minutes until they are 22-23.

The bigger issue here is Jones has been in the league for a long time at this point. Why would he suddenly develop into something he isn't?

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Not really. Analytically defensemen have been shown to peak at 24 just like forwards. The reason you see defensemen "peaking" at 26-28 is because many of them don't break into the league in terms of major minutes until they are 22-23.

The bigger issue here is Jones has been in the league for a long time at this point. Why would he suddenly develop into something he isn't?
That is a statistical observation, which inherently comes with sometimes significant variance - especially when you start grouping by "tiers". So while I agree with bringing that point regarding the OP generalized comment (most d-men not being fully developed at 26), I don't think it's something that you can apply directly when discussing an individual. However, I do agree regarding Jones that it would be weird - albeit no unheard off - to suddenly take a significant step up from his past 3-4 seasons, where he's been relatively consistent in terms of impact.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
So?

Pietrangelo played the best hockey of his life at ages 29 and 30 and got a huge deal for it. Josi is better now at 30 than he was at 26. Hedman just played his best hockey at 29 about to turn 30.

Seth Jones isnt not going to improve simply because hes 26

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So?

Pietrangelo played the best hockey of his life at ages 29 and 30 and got a huge deal for it. Josi is better now at 30 than he was at 26. Hedman just played his best hockey at 29 about to turn 30.

Seth Jones isnt not going to improve simply because hes 26

Both Josi and Piets started playing top pairing minutes later in their careers then Jones.

I don't see much of a difference between Piets season at 22 and last year. Josi's increased impact is largely because he previously had Subban or Weber eating up offensive minutes.

As I outlined above. We likely see little improvement to Jones' game because he's already been playing in a role that gives him every opportunity to succeed. I guess you could argue if they move Werenski he may see an offensive uptick, but I doubt it given the impact Werenski has on him in when they are paired together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad