Roman Josi info

Predsboro

Feb 29, 2008
Great, informative post torero ...

Here's another Josi gem from Paul McCann's blog on Eklund's site: "Roman Josi’s goal last night pulled him into a tie for third all-time in goals by a Predators defenseman. He tied at 38 goals with Ryan Suter. It took Suter 542 games, Josi took 249. (Stick tap to David Boclair for that nugget)"

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Great, informative post torero ...

Here's another Josi gem from Paul McCann's blog on Eklund's site: "Roman Josi’s goal last night pulled him into a tie for third all-time in goals by a Predators defenseman. He tied at 38 goals with Ryan Suter. It took Suter 542 games, Josi took 249. (Stick tap to David Boclair for that nugget)"

They are two different players, that play two different games but that is impressive.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
i brought this thread back to share an article Logan Couture, from the Sharks, wrote on the toughest defensmen in the league he ever faced.

Josi is in it and, he describes some key features that, most of us know, but during this long summer, in the absence of hockeyistique activity ... sometimes it is a pleasure to read something we already know and with which we agree. (me at least )

link to the article here

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

Still interesting coming from one of the top forwards of the finalist Stanley cup 2016.

knowing that Josi, as a defensmen, was second in points of a team that ended up far in the playoffs for the Stanley cup. Logging the highest TOI and facing the top opposition lines .... and the corsi is catastrophique ??
It makes me think about the interpretation of the corsi !

But actually i simply wanted to share this article. As said the summer is long under some aspects ! and until their is real time info and games ... it is nice to have that type of news.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
as trig mentioned in another thread on the main board (and of course got ridiculed for it) corsi, like several other 'advanced' stats, have flaws almost as bad as using plus/minus. the truth of the matter is, is that stats by their very nature do a better job of stating offensive tendencies than quantifying more non-statistical things like true defensive strengths and weaknesses (positioning, toughness, gap control, intimidation). it's why stay at home tough type defensemen (like weber) will always be 'undervalued' when compared to the subban's and karlsson's of the nhl in this modern trend.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
as trig mentioned in another thread on the main board (and of course got ridiculed for it) corsi, like several other 'advanced' stats, have flaws almost as bad as using plus/minus. the truth of the matter is, is that stats by their very nature do a better job of stating offensive tendencies than quantifying more non-statistical things like true defensive strengths and weaknesses (positioning, toughness, gap control, intimidation). it's why stay at home tough type defensemen (like weber) will always be 'undervalued' when compared to the subban's and karlsson's of the nhl in this modern trend.
It drives me nuts, especially when they equate possession to corsi, it doesn't show that at all.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
It drives me nuts, especially when they equate possession to corsi, it doesn't show that at all.

Statistics are funny thing. They are always 100% accurate since they are a result of mathematical formulas. But a statistic, while 100% accurate, only accurately portrays the story or scenario it tells- completely ignorant of or to any other context or scenario. The readers and interpreters of statistics can also be just as ignorant just by the tunnel-vision effect of focusing on a given statistic.

This is still the best article, by far, that I've read on the Weber/Suter/Josi dynamic.

The folks that rate Weber poorly are generally right in pointing out his inability and/or aversion to carrying the puck out of the zone. The statistics that support that position are highly critical of players that can't/won't carry the puck. There is less of an effort on the part of the statisticians to point out that a significant part of the problem were the 4th line forwards being deployed by the coaching staff while in the defensive zone with Weber/Josi.

As elite as Weber is in playing defense and separating a man from a puck (and he is elite in that respect), the combination of Weber/Josi and the Predator's 4th line from last season is a testament that an elite defense can only hold out for so long when they continue to lose possession. Eventually the team with the puck is going to score more- all things being equal.

On the other hand, you may be the best in the world with the puck, but if you don't have it on your stick it makes little difference.

Again, Sam's article above is a great read and goes into so much that a simple look at the statistics misses.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
an interesting read david.

fundamentally I have two basic disagreements with the advanced stats arguments used against weber.

1)as the article you referenced touched on, weber 'chooses' to pass the puck off to more mobile puckmovers like suter and josi, because he knows they are really better puck movers. and as a result his zone exit numbers look awful. it's not that he couldn't exit the zone, it's that he chooses better options to do so. it's as if he gets punished statistically because the preds have had the luxury of good puck movers paired with him

2)shots for and against as a measurement against weber are really a skewed stat. there is no doubt that weber's man tends to shoot faster and farther out than he would against other not as physically threatening defensemen. so had you rather have a defensemen that forces more farther out low percentage shots (which drastically makes his shots against numbers look worse) or a guy who gives up fewer but higher percentage shots closer in? I personally would blindly guess that weber's man probably has one of the lowest shooting percentages in the league.

again, I see too much reliance on advanced stat numbers by too many to try to quantify what is really happening on ice.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
an interesting read david.

fundamentally I have two basic disagreements with the advanced stats arguments used against weber.

1)as the article you referenced touched on, weber 'chooses' to pass the puck off to more mobile puckmovers like suter and josi, because he knows they are really better puck movers. and as a result his zone exit numbers look awful. it's not that he couldn't exit the zone, it's that he chooses better options to do so. it's as if he gets punished statistically because the preds have had the luxury of good puck movers paired with him

Actually, if Josi and the forwards were better at getting the puck out of the zone once Weber got the puck to them, then Weber's numbers would look good. The numbers aren't tracking Weber's ability to exit the zone, but the ability of the line to exit the zone (or lines since he's going to be out there with different formations). In this case, the numbers are helpful as they can identify the best combinations of players to use to get a successful zone exit- particularly when combined with plain ol' eyesight on what a player does best.

Another takeaway here is that Weber is much too predictable in trying to get the puck to someone else when the better play is to start to bring the puck out himself. Teams don't even have to pressure him, they can overwhelm the other 4 NSH players believing that Weber will attempt to force the puck to one of them over bringing it out himself. I personally believe that he'd win a Norris or two if he could improve upon that.

2)shots for and against as a measurement against weber are really a skewed stat. there is no doubt that weber's man tends to shoot faster and farther out than he would against other not as physically threatening defensemen. so had you rather have a defensemen that forces more farther out low percentage shots (which drastically makes his shots against numbers look worse) or a guy who gives up fewer but higher percentage shots closer in? I personally would blindly guess that weber's man probably has one of the lowest shooting percentages in the league.

again, I see too much reliance on advanced stat numbers by too many to try to quantify what is really happening on ice.

Generally speaking, I feel the shots for/against numbers aren't skewed at all, but the interpretation of those numbers are way too player-centric and most discussion does not actually try to understand the numbers beyond "player A is not good" (so to speak).

Weber's numbers aren't bad due to the first or second shot in a defensive possession- those are pretty much exactly what you'd want: rushed or from the outside and generally poor in quality. With Weber, it goes back to his biggest issue. He'll separate a man from the puck from below the goal line and put it up the boards to a covered forward (often a mismatched forward). That turnover can lead to one or more quick shots on net while Weber is scrambling to recover from a prior great play.

Weber's initial decision with the puck can be faulted as well as the inability of his linemates to complete the zone exit. That leads to an extended shift and/or higher quality shots. Those are reflected in the statistics, but few look beyond that to understand why the statistics show what they show.

More specifically to triggrman's point, Corsi is not nearly as flawed as plus/minus. Both, at their core, reward and/or penalize the entire line based upon the results on the ice. Corsi is much more nuanced in trying to take into account line combinations, quality of competition, ice time, etc. That said, it still boils down to a single calculated value that most people attribute directly to the player instead of trying to understand the role that player has in the coach's schema, the player's abilities and deficiencies, and his linemates. Those that jump directly to that Corsi number without further evaluation can foster that feeling of Corsi being as flawed as plus/minus.

Human beings tend to like "black and white" answers instead deeply understanding a subject (and I'm no exception).

Now, analytics analysis geared toward the tendencies of the coach's preferred strategy could be very interesting to see. I'm not too sure that we see much of that today. The Subban/Weber trade shows some signs of that, particularly from Nashville.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
More specifically to triggrman's point, Corsi is not nearly as flawed as plus/minus. Both, at their core, reward and/or penalize the entire line based upon the results on the ice. Corsi is much more nuanced in trying to take into account line combinations, quality of competition, ice time, etc. That said, it still boils down to a single calculated value that most people attribute directly to the player instead of trying to understand the role that player has in the coach's schema, the player's abilities and deficiencies, and his linemates. Those that jump directly to that Corsi number without further evaluation can foster that feeling of Corsi being as flawed as plus/minus.

But doesn't measure quality of competition, not really as it uses it's own measurement to determine quality.

My problem major 2 problems with corsi are that it treats all shots attempts the same and people try to say corsi = possession.

Even Laviolette this past season wanted the Predators to move the puck around and wait for the better chance rather than just throwing the puck on net. And he was right, our corsi probably went down but we did hold the puck longer and got better scoring chances.

I've yet to see a solid argument for corsi.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
But doesn't measure quality of competition, not really as it uses it's own measurement to determine quality.

My problem major 2 problems with corsi are that it treats all shots attempts the same and people try to say corsi = possession.

Even Laviolette this past season wanted the Predators to move the puck around and wait for the better chance rather than just throwing the puck on net. And he was right, our corsi probably went down but we did hold the puck longer and got better scoring chances.

I've yet to see a solid argument for corsi.

lol.

I agree trigg. Corsi is not possession. Corsi is the SF/SA ratio. That's all it is and it's nothing more.

It's a useful number, a bit more so than plus/minus, for helping identify trends. But it's not the end-all, be-all number.

There is no end-all, be-all number. Possession is worthless if you don't shoot (well, not counting the loser point in a 0-0 tie). Outshooting someone 50-5 is practically worthless if you're taking every shot from your own zone.

Generally speaking a shot is more dangerous than no shot, so a better Corsi would generally be favored. If you're on the wrong side of Corsi and video shows you constantly having extended defensive zone time on shifts, there's a good chance that fatigue makes an otherwise easy shot much more dangerous.

I like Corsi, and many other statistics. I'm not a fanatic and really can't go into deep detail on several of them. I just look at them as more tools in the bag.

It's kinda like "top 10 player" lists. There is no definitive list. The discussion is fun, but the anger that often shows up really isn't. No player is what they are in a vacuum. Much too much influence from their teammates and coaching staff (just to start) to judge a player totally in a vacuum.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
my problem with corsi, or at least this application of it, is simply this:

In today's NHL, which DMen could you make an argument might be in your top 25 all-time? You know, guys in a list with Orr, and Bourque, and Lidstrom, and (ugh) Chelios, and Pronger, and Niedermeyer, Potvin, Leetch, etc.... cause I see 2 of them - one plays in Boston, and the other is now playing in Montreal and used to be the captain in Nashville. Maybe that guy in Chicago, too.

It's not the stats - although some of those guys have whatever stats you'd like - it's watching the game, seeing the impact these guys have on the game, that tells ya' these are among the best of the all-time best, regardless of the style of play, etc, that might be in fashion during the period they played.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Coming from the world of finance, you have 1000's of ratios and other measurement to gain insight into the investment return, growth, sustainability, real margin ... knowing that stats have their inherent weaknesses ... history, don't capture the story, doesn't capture behavioral shifts , sampling risk .... and can be used for whatever else you want as long as it makes sense or is appropriate.

but they are limited by what they exactly measure. Highlighting the last words of my previous sentence. Whatever makes sense and is appropriate.

Don't compare 2 goalies with different GAA and different % save when the defense is working differently and on allows for routine shots.

So i do not know if the stratospheric blocked shots by Josi an Weber, the defense based team game, the excellence of Rine allowing to build it into the NSH game as of to allow for routine saves has rendered the corsi inappropriate or not ... but Josi and Weber were simply that good that the stat is ridiculed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad