Friedman: Roman Josi’s contract number starts with 9

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Josi is not great defensively, but he isn't as bad as some want to make him sound either. I'd say he's average, maybe a tad above average but that's as far as I would take it.

He's worth 9, just wouldn't give him much more than that.

Reactions: preds1

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Josi is not great defensively, but he isn't as bad as some want to make him sound either. I'd say he's average, maybe a tad above average but that's as far as I would take it.

Also this.

Like I'm glad people are starting to clue in to the fact that Josi isn't great defensively (something us Preds fans have known since he's got here) but I feel like some of ya'll are being so self-congratulatory about coming to this realization that he's now suddenly become completely void of any defensive play at all. :laugh:

He's somewhere between average and above average defensively but he's not bad.

Reactions: preds1 and NNCbama

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Also this.

Like I'm glad people are starting to clue in to the fact that Josi isn't great defensively (something us Preds fans have known since he's got here) but I feel like some of ya'll are being so self-congratulatory about coming to this realization that he's now suddenly become completely void of any defensive play at all. :laugh:

He's somewhere between average and above average defensively but he's not bad.
The thing is, "defensive" play is largely situational. There are some situations in which Josi's "defensive" play is well above average... retrieving loose pucks and keying a transition or safely handling and transporting the puck out of the defensive zone ARE elements of defense. Josi is very good at those things. He is smart positionally on the rush. He does not make many errors with the puck on his stick. He's very safe that way. Sometimes his offensive abilities lead him to play a little deeper in the offensive zone than other defenders might. But he is a good skater and gets himself back in the play as well or better than could reasonably be expected. He has good anticipation and awareness in all situations.

And then there are situations in which his defense is a little weaker. When an opponent has managed to maintain control in the defensive zone and is cycling the puck or making plays to the front of the net, Josi is not particularly strong at playing the body or tieing up his opponent to allow his team to recover possession. His pairing can get trapped within their zone for some longer stretches because both he and his usual partner Ellis have this same weakness.

Overall, I think the strengths largely outweigh the weaknesses, taking all elements of his defensive play into consideration.

From the perspective of the Predators' team success as a whole, I just wish we had a partner for him that complemented his style better. Ellis is just a poor match, and they draw assignments in all situations, including the PK where they are de facto starting in precisely the kind of situation which gives them the most trouble. :(

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
The thing is, "defensive" play is largely situational. There are some situations in which Josi's "defensive" play is well above average... retrieving loose pucks and keying a transition or safely handling and transporting the puck out of the defensive zone ARE elements of defense. Josi is very good at those things. He is smart positionally on the rush. He does not make many errors with the puck on his stick. He's very safe that way. Sometimes his offensive abilities lead him to play a little deeper in the offensive zone than other defenders might. But he is a good skater and gets himself back in the play as well or better than could reasonably be expected. He has good anticipation and awareness in all situations.

And then there are situations in which his defense is a little weaker. When an opponent has managed to maintain control in the defensive zone and is cycling the puck or making plays to the front of the net, Josi is not particularly strong at playing the body or tieing up his opponent to allow his team to recover possession. His pairing can get trapped within their zone for some longer stretches because both he and his usual partner Ellis have this same weakness.

Overall, I think the strengths largely outweigh the weaknesses, taking all elements of his defensive play into consideration.

From the perspective of the Predators' team success as a whole, I just wish we had a partner for him that complemented his style better. Ellis is just a poor match, and they draw assignments in all situations, including the PK where they are de facto starting in precisely the kind of situation which gives them the most trouble. :(
I was about to say the same thing about Ellis. If Josi was paired with a more defensive defenseman his defensive flaws would barely be noticed in my opinion. I just don’t think Josi and Ellis compliment each other that well

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
As it should. He's worth $9M and considering he's the most team-friendly deal in the league right now, he deserves a little payback.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
So will it be 9.x for 8 years. Means the contract will go until he is 38?

justanotherleafsfan

Oct 5, 2019
No he isn't. Like not even close. I have no idea why Josi has this amazing reputation here. Guy can't defend and it's not that he is EK offensively. 10mil for him is just so absurd it boggles the mind.
It's one of those online things where a player's contract makes him look better than he is because other fans fantasize about hasn't him under the cap on thier team.

Josi is great but after he gets his big contract this off season that team will be upside down on his value sooner than later.

Reactions: Riptide

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Depending on the length that’s fair. I’ve watched some Preds games this season and I thought he was their best player. Preds fans obviously can say I’m wrong getting to watch way more often...

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010

nuh uh

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If Doughty and Karlsston got 11M+ why would Josi get less than 10?

Because Josi isn’t a scum bag and still wants his team to compete whereas the other two only cared about cash, especially EK.

Orrrrrr taxes?

Or because Doughty and Karlsson are far superior players with far superior resumes? Doughty and Karlsson have what, 3 Norris Trophies and 7 first AST appearances between the two of them? Has Josi ever even finished top-4 in Norris voting?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Josi is a great dman, no question.

Its just kind of ironic that he is, for all intents and purposes, the ‘great offense, suspect defense’ guy that people mischaracterized Karlsson and Subban as for so many years.

Which is fine, there’s more than one way for a dman to have elite impact.

But he’s never really been criticized the same way for it.

Because he doesn't play in Canada.

Players in Canadian markets get shredded for every perceived imperfection.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
But still 8 years either way...
As a Jets fan, I sure hope so!

Honestly, could be that the reason it's supposedly going to start with a 9 is that Poile doesn't want to pay him until age 38.

Someone is probably dumb enough to pay 9x7 on the open market, but I doubt it's a contender.

I can also see there being a bit of willingness on Poile's part to sort of make up for how drastically he's overperformed compared to his salary so far. No other GM has any sense that they kinda owe him one. Seems like it's in his best interests to remain a Mustard Tiger.

How would Nashville fans feel about 9x6?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad