Friedman: Roman Josi’s contract number starts with 9

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
The AAV makes sense, the term is what will make this deal interesting.

If he secures an 8 year deal at that kind of term that will be ugly towards the back half of the deal.

Reactions: NNCbama

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The AAV makes sense, the term is what will make this deal interesting.

If he secures an 8 year deal at that kind of term that will be ugly towards the back half of the deal.
This is the key to me. I don't necessarily begrudge him a $9M+ AAV and a little payback for being on such a bargain contract the last 7 years. But if the AAV is going that high, then the term has to go lower to compensate. If the AAV is that high, I stop at 5 or 6 years as the term. He'll be 30 when this deal starts. Paying him a $9M+ AAV when he's 36,37,38 is not going to be smart.

It ultimately doesn't matter much to me. I'd offer him 8x$8M, or 6x$9M, or 5x$10M, and he can decide how much money he wants to have guaranteed vs. how big he wants his single season paydays to be.

Reactions: preds1 and Riptide

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I know I will get roasted alive for this, but Josi is very over rated on HFboards. He's a good offensive D but his defense gets very over rated, just overall. Top 5 D? Come on,
I think he's just kind of "liked" for seeming to be a "nice guy"... I haven't seen a lot of people really dig too deep on his actual performance. He has mostly been non-controversial, non-threatening, while putting up good numbers and getting an "underrated" tag for playing in the shadows of a few bigger name D over the years.

But it's true that defense is not his strong suit. He does bring some value in the transitional sense of the best defense being a good offense. And he doesn't really have a penchant for glaring mistakes or giveaways or total brainfarts like some offensive D do. But he does get trapped up ice, or stuck being ineffective playing down low against some of those teams with big top lines in our division. The last couple playoffs I think there were some big lines on Colorado, Winnipeg, and Dallas that really manhandled his D pair with Ellis. There is absolutely no question that Ekholm and Subban are both better defensive zone players than Josi is. I don't think many Preds fans debate that. I don't think it takes away from his value or leaves him being overrated by us either, though. He is what he is, and that's still very good overall, and still worth the numbers generally being thrown around in this thread.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I think he's just kind of "liked" for seeming to be a "nice guy"... I haven't seen a lot of people really dig too deep on his actual performance. He has mostly been non-controversial, non-threatening, while putting up good numbers and getting an "underrated" tag for playing in the shadows of a few bigger name D over the years.

But it's true that defense is not his strong suit. He does bring some value in the transitional sense of the best defense being a good offense. And he doesn't really have a penchant for glaring mistakes or giveaways or total brainfarts like some offensive D do. But he does get trapped up ice, or stuck being ineffective playing down low against some of those teams with big top lines in our division. The last couple playoffs I think there were some big lines on Colorado, Winnipeg, and Dallas that really manhandled his D pair with Ellis. There is absolutely no question that Ekholm and Subban are both better defensive zone players than Josi is. I don't think many Preds fans debate that. I don't think it takes away from his value or leaves him being overrated by us either, though. He is what he is, and that's still very good overall, and still worth the numbers generally being thrown around in this thread.

100% I am not trying to imply he is a bad player in the slightest, he would be a great addition to any blueline. My comment was more that I always seem to read that Josi is a top 5 D and all of this stuff, and read it again in this thread, and just felt it was the appropriate place to vent.

Every time I watched the Preds, I would watch Josi and wait to see his game. And he, like you said, is a good dman, a modern dman. I just never caught any sort of dominant defensive game from him. And at first I thought I just caught a bad game, but over time, especially last season when I caught more of their games than usual, I was just like.. Wow this dude is over rated.

So 100% not trying to take a shit on him or your team, just had to be said I guess. Used to read the same thing about OEL how he was as good defensively as offensively and wonder if people watched him play.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Does he want back pay for the sweet contract he gave. Them?

Of course taxes will be a huge factor. But they also owe him

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
100% I am not trying to imply he is a bad player in the slightest, he would be a great addition to any blueline. My comment was more that I always seem to read that Josi is a top 5 D and all of this stuff, and read it again in this thread, and just felt it was the appropriate place to vent.

Every time I watched the Preds, I would watch Josi and wait to see his game. And he, like you said, is a good dman, a modern dman. I just never caught any sort of dominant defensive game from him. And at first I thought I just caught a bad game, but over time, especially last season when I caught more of their games than usual, I was just like.. Wow this dude is over rated.

So 100% not trying to take a **** on him or your team, just had to be said I guess. Used to read the same thing about OEL how he was as good defensively as offensively and wonder if people watched him play.

He has worse than Barrie like numbers.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
OK, Preds should have 25 million to sign a bunch of 4th liners and 3 bottom half defensemen; along with Josi, Granlund, and Smith, (if they want).

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lol no he doesn’t.

198329F3-498B-40D5-9D34-0E629F170302.png

F6866C27-2C12-472B-AD14-C44BB2110D3D.png

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Josi gets at least 9, IMO. He knows that he would get substantially more in FA and so does Poile. Josi famously gave NSH a huge discount the 1st time around in both actually $ but also term, I just don’t see it happening again. And I bet he gets at least a limited NTC from Poile when its all said and done.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Hey, I hope the guy gets paid, but he isn't worth $9M. The hype around certain players is crazy.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
No he isn't. Like not even close. I have no idea why Josi has this amazing reputation here. Guy can't defend and it's not that he is EK offensively. 10mil for him is just so absurd it boggles the mind.
What boggles the mind is how you came to type a paragraph where every single sentence is wrong...which I guess some of the opinions might be up for debate but to be so clearly incorrect by so very much on the rest is astounding.
I live in Nashville. And I love my team. That being the Penguins. So no, not a fan of the Preds but seeing how much I love the sport of hockey, I do get to see them more often than any other team and this noise that Josi either doesn't play defense/sacrifices D for the O game or is poor at it is a relatively new complaint and that is because it is a position easily refuted. He has always been known as defensively responsible and more than that, he has always been known to be good at it. Were he to start becoming like many other offensive Dmen, taking chances at the expense of his defense , his numbers , which are already VERY GOOD, would be top 3 each year because he is that good.
I'd argue that his offense actually suffers for the sake of his willingness and desire to put his focus on defense first and not the other way around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->