In Memoriam Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts (1941-2021)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Pretty sure the Stones have never done a farewell tour.

At the time it was assumed this was going to be the final tour

The Rolling Stones American Tour 1981 - Wikipedia

WAAF found out about a secret concert at a small Worcester pub and 11,000 showed up but a week earlier on a Monday night they played Jack's in Cambridge and WBCN didn't say a word in return for exclusive access to them at their farm retreat.

Reactions: rfournier103

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
At the time it was assumed this was going to be the final tour

The Rolling Stones American Tour 1981 - Wikipedia

WAAF found out about a secret concert at a small Worcester pub and 11,000 showed up but a week earlier on a Monday night they played Jack's in Cambridge and WBCN didn't say a word in return for exclusive access to them at their farm retreat.

The '81 tour was my first and last Stones concert, at Pontiac's Silverdome.

Iggy -- who is from Ann Arbor -- opened for them, and was pelted with beer cans for the privledge.

I always liked Charlie. Jagger deserved that punch (sic).

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
I saw at the Rose Bowl in 1994, great concert.
Back during their 1989 tour thru New England, the band stopped at a club in New Haven called Toad's Place and played in front of small crowd who paid $3 each. That was awesome!.

RIP Charlie Watts! Gonna miss ya!.

Last edited:

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
In the early 80's in very very upstate NYS, Buddy Rich came to the Crane School of Music. Put on a great show. Due to weather, Buddy had to stay another night and a few of us were invited to a meet and greet where Buddy played, tap danced, and took countless questions from us students.

Someone asked about best modern drummers and Neil Peart came up. Buddy said no disrespect to drummers with 50 drums, but 3-4 is all you need. Buddy said several times to all the student drummers . . .just watch Charlie Watts. He gets it. The man is ALWAYS in the pocket.
Perfection.

I listened to the Stones with a very different ear after that. RIP

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Hits are coming often and hard these days. I grew up with the Rolling Stones and they've always been my favorite rock band. Started going to concerts in the '70s, it was wild and hysterical, then became more of a family event of two-three generations could be going. The last time I went was in 2014 in Stockholm and that was actually one of the better shows.
The Stones and the Bruins have been the combo for me my whole life almost. Nothing can change that. Sad to hear Charlie passing, always been a fan of his.
This is a comment by Charlie on his life on tour. RIP
Watch: Charlie Watts says playing with Rolling Stones mostly 'hanging around' in 1986 interview

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Seen the Stones at least three times. Mr. Watts was a cool dude playing the drums. I always watched him play. He dressed slick. Had some cool ass designer shoes and just presented coolness if that’s a word.
RIP Mr. Watts.
That last video of him being interviewed just says it all.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think they should call it a day. As a rule major bands who try to replace members just aren't as good, the chemistry changes too much. Just look at The Who for example after Keith Moon died.
i mean, The Stones played a gig 2 days after Brian Jones died.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Nice thread I stumbled upon.

I'll never forget the look he had on his face on the big-screen at the old stadium in 94 when we started a Charlie chant. Looked like he shed a couple tears and humble enough to just give one small wave and a little nod all the while looking down at his drum kit. Great drummer, always in the pocket.

RIP Charlie Watts.
Charlie was a Jazz drummer turned Rock and Roller.

It was an old jazz tradition that gave Charlie the idea to do this after Woodie joined the band

The Gentleman Jean Ratelle of Rock n Roll

Excellent vids, thanks for posting, posted a couple of them elsewhere.

I think they should call it a day. As a rule major bands who try to replace members just aren't as good, the chemistry changes too much. Just look at The Who for example after Keith Moon died.
Earlier today I was saying Stones shouldn't keep going but then was reading Watts was recovering from a medical procedure and he'd announced he wasn't going to be able to participate in their upcoming stadium tour delayed from last year with Steve Jordan drumming instead.

i mean, The Stones played a gig 2 days after Brian Jones died.
To add to this: Jones had become unreliable in the studio, was thrown out of the Stones in June 1969 - replaced by Mick Taylor- and died July 3 1969. Stones headlined a massive free concert 2 days later.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
On July 18, 1972 the Rollings Stones played a memorable concert at the Boston Garden. The group was arrested at T.F Green Airport on their way to the Garden after an altercation with a photographer and police officer. Fans had to wait for hours until Mayor Kevin White made a plea to Warwick Police to release the rock band. After special hearing and bail set at $50 each, the group finally appeared on stage at 12:45am.

upload_2021-8-25_3-10-15.png

upload_2021-8-25_3-11-23.png

upload_2021-8-25_3-12-16.png

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
RIP Charlie. Like the Righteous Brothers said:

"If you believe in forever
Then life is just a one-night stand
If there's a rock and roll heaven
Well you know they've got a hell of a band".

Sigh.....he had a good life but it is always tough to see these legends pass.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Going to see Kings of Leon tonight with Mrs. Number 8 -- and not completely happy about being with a big crowd and delta variant. Then Charlie up and dies this week.

Right now I feel decidedly unjoyful - exactly the opposite of how rock and roll has always made me feel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad