Roller to Ice Hockey transition tips

JLHockeyKnight

IMA Real American
Apr 19, 2006
North Central Jersey
Any tips? I've got the endurance, and I can kind of skate. I'm used to a high-lo chassis and now I've got regular skates. I like playing a lot better.

Any tips on skating, stopping, and stick handling? Everything else I'm fine from what I've played so far.

Thanks in advance.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
You really just need to go out and practice skating. It is going to be way different at first but you will get the hang of using your edges etc...

I would recommend early AM stick and puck sessions. This will give you more room to get used to the difference of roller vs. ice.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Shooting, passing and just moving the puck in general are much easier on the ice, after you get the skating back the rest is easy, although offsides and icing are a little tough mentally to get through sometimes.

We'reGonnaWin*

You need to be bent over more while you're skating. It will help you generate more power in your stride and thus go faster.

not really bent over. i'd think of it as getting more into a squat while keeping your upper-body fairly upright.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
i went from roller to ice- and the transition is much easier than many think. here are some tips that helped me:

- a high lo chassis mimicks an ice boot very well. continue with this setup.
- i highly recommend general ice skate sessions as much as possible. learning to stop on both sides might take a little while. on ice you can do everything a little bit quicker- ESPECIALLY stopping.
- you have to really carve into those strides to move on ice....this will make your roller hockey stride more powerful as well.
-your stick should transfer over well. the main difference on ice is that instead of "pushing" the puck on a high friction floor surface...you basically have to skate to follow the speed of the puck on ice. it really moves just by tapping it lightly. i find puck handling/ shooting on ice MUCH easier...

good luck and let me know if you have anymore questions!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->