Roller Hockey Thread

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Any roller hockey players here? New skates/gear, or news and shit pertaining to roller hockey.

New Missions are coming out...already out in Europe. Not a fan of the graphics, pretty tacky if you ask me. Might pick up FZ-0's once they're on clearance though.

mission-inlinehockey-skate-inhaler-wm01-senior.jpg

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Not a fan of Mission skates from wayyyy back in the day (they could have been good for the past 15+ years and I wouldn't know), but I do love Addiction wheels. Lots of my teammates have and like Mission skates though and I'm sure those are pretty sweet.

I skate on some few-years-old APX2 ice boots which I had converted brand new. They're still nearly mint and I won't replace them until they're in tatters :laugh:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not a fan of Mission skates from wayyyy back in the day (they could have been good for the past 15+ years and I wouldn't know), but I do love Addiction wheels. Lots of my teammates have and like Mission skates though and I'm sure those are pretty sweet.

I skate on some few-years-old APX2 ice boots which I had converted brand new. They're still nearly mint and I won't replace them until they're in tatters :laugh:

Mission/Bauer are the best in the biz. The only guys I know who wear anything else like Tour/Alkali are sponsored and get them for free. The high end players usually go for the former.

I just picked up a pair of 1XR's on clearance ($650, were $1100 when they came out) and love them.

Reactions: Ozz

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Mission/Bauer are the best in the biz. The only guys I know who wear anything else like Tour/Alkali are sponsored and get them for free. The high end players usually go for the former.

I just picked up a pair of 1XR's on clearance ($650, were $1100 when they came out) and love them.

The last Missions I skated on were early 00 models back in the day. Looking at their prices now I know they're nothing like they used to be. I'm just a Bauer die-hard. I tried some middle of the road Alkalis and couldn't stand them, although I think I would have liked the top of the line boot. At that point I was getting Bauers again and was lucky enough to find cheap APX2 boots for my chassis setup.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'll try because it's going to be a problem soon I think.

I have a set of reebok 8k's (roller) because those skates are the only type (the brand not the model) I found that actually fit my feet. Since those aren't made anymore, I'm trying to see what my options are.

Does anybody know a skate that fits the same as the reeboks? I've tried CCM's but they are just a little different enough to notice and be mildly uncomfortable. My 8k's are not long for this world, but I really don't know what else might fit besides the CCM's. I've tried Bauer and Missions and my flat wide feet, just won't fit them at all. And, I agree with the above that tour/alkali just aren't...good. I guess I'm just looking for any input on a skate boot profile that is close to the old reeboks. Sorry for the rant, thanks for any help you can provide.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'll try because it's going to be a problem soon I think.

I have a set of reebok 8k's (roller) because those skates are the only type (the brand not the model) I found that actually fit my feet. Since those aren't made anymore, I'm trying to see what my options are.

Does anybody know a skate that fits the same as the reeboks? I've tried CCM's but they are just a little different enough to notice and be mildly uncomfortable. My 8k's are not long for this world, but I really don't know what else might fit besides the CCM's. I've tried Bauer and Missions and my flat wide feet, just won't fit them at all. And, I agree with the above that tour/alkali just aren't...good. I guess I'm just looking for any input on a skate boot profile that is close to the old reeboks. Sorry for the rant, thanks for any help you can provide.

I assume you tried on the standard width skates? I.e the 'D' width? I think Mission in the 'EE' width, the wider boot, might fit you, if you haven't tried that yet.

Also I would try getting your feet measured at your LHS, most have machines that can tell you the best fit for you

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
I assume you tried on the standard width skates? I.e the 'D' width? I think Mission in the 'EE' width, the wider boot, might fit you, if you haven't tried that yet.

Also I would try getting your feet measured at your LHS, most have machines that can tell you the best fit for you
I've tried on lots of them. The problem I seem to keep running in to (and I should have explained this better originally) is finding the right "shape" boot. When i try on EE skates or any "wide size" in other brands, my foot fits inside but it fits at one point (about 1/2-2/3 of the way toward the toe) and everything else is pretty loose, which lets my foot twist in place. I ended up with the skates I have now from getting my feet measured years ago. I bought some reebok (10k's I think from him) and ordered some roller 8k's online since they are almost identical. I picked up a pair of Tacks hoping they would be similar. I might be able to make them work, but it's going to take some serious breaking in and I'm not looking forward to it.

I lived in NC for the last 20 years and now I'm in Maryland so LHS are hard to find. Plus... Covid makes travelling nigh on impossible. I've heard of getting skates "punched out" before but I'm really not familiar. In the end I'll probably just try to make the CCM's work and bake them a couple times. I do appreciate the response though.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Use to play roller when I lived in FL. Moved to WA and plenty of ice rinks here so switched to ice. I turned 9K Reebok skates to ice lol I’m now moving to GA but don’t think I’ll invest in roller again even with no ice rinks close by. Think I’ll invest in some synthetic ice tiles and hop on that.

do you guys play roller outdoors asphalt or indoor? I always played outdoors. I’d give indoor surface a try. Some outdoor rinks can be nice but the majority I ever went to are in bad shape.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I've tried on lots of them. The problem I seem to keep running in to (and I should have explained this better originally) is finding the right "shape" boot. When i try on EE skates or any "wide size" in other brands, my foot fits inside but it fits at one point (about 1/2-2/3 of the way toward the toe) and everything else is pretty loose, which lets my foot twist in place. I ended up with the skates I have now from getting my feet measured years ago. I bought some reebok (10k's I think from him) and ordered some roller 8k's online since they are almost identical. I picked up a pair of Tacks hoping they would be similar. I might be able to make them work, but it's going to take some serious breaking in and I'm not looking forward to it.

I lived in NC for the last 20 years and now I'm in Maryland so LHS are hard to find. Plus... Covid makes travelling nigh on impossible. I've heard of getting skates "punched out" before but I'm really not familiar. In the end I'll probably just try to make the CCM's work and bake them a couple times. I do appreciate the response though.

Insoles/orthotics like SuperFeet might help too. They help positiong your foot better and can help eliminate that negative space.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013

It sounds like you have a wide forefoot, but the rest of your foot isn't wide. I have a similar foot and most skates are either too wide in the heel or too narrow in the forefoot. There are two models that work for my feet:
Easton Mako (M7, M8 or Mako II. I would stay away from the original ones with the orange tendon guards as they weren't as durable). They were discontinued in 2015, but some are still floating around on Sidelineswap. They're ice boots; so you would have to get them converted to inline. I had a Sprung chassis installed on mine.

True TF7s or TF9 skates. These are current models. A lot of places carry the ice boots for inline conversions and inline warehouse carries the stock roller versions with a Revision chassis and wheels. True is offering a 30 day satisfaction guarantee via participating retailers. That means you can buy them, bake them and try them and if they don't fit you can return them within 30 days.

The challenge with both the Mako and True skates is that they're really thermoformable and the right size will usually feel too small before baking. You won't know how they fit until you bake them (and they're baked longer than most brands. 10 minutes for the Makos).

For sizing, I scan a 7.5 Fit 3 on the Bauer scanner and measure an 8 on the Brannock. I use 8EE Mako skates, but would drop to a 7W True. The True skates fit longer than Bauer in the same size. With Makos, a lot of people fit the same size as Bauer and some, like me, go a half either way.

Trying the skates on in person and having them baked is best, but if that's not possible then finding a Bauer scanner could help you make an educated guess. If you're a Fit 1 or 2 with the scanner then a D width Mako or R width True would be the right width after baking. You would only need to jump up to EE or W if you're scanned as a Fit 3. Then with True you could order a half size smaller than the Bauer scan. Ordering Trues from a place that honours the 30 day guarantee and then baking them would be the safest bet.

Another skate you could try on would be the CCM Ribcore in EE. The D width Ribcore is narrower, but the EE has worked for some old RBK users. A conversion would be needed as they only make Ribcore ice skates.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
Use to play roller when I lived in FL. Moved to WA and plenty of ice rinks here so switched to ice. I turned 9K Reebok skates to ice lol I’m now moving to GA but don’t think I’ll invest in roller again even with no ice rinks close by. Think I’ll invest in some synthetic ice tiles and hop on that.

do you guys play roller outdoors asphalt or indoor? I always played outdoors. I’d give indoor surface a try. Some outdoor rinks can be nice but the majority I ever went to are in bad shape.
We played on an outdoor rink with sport court. it was good, not great, but it was all we had. I've played on concrete before, really didn't enjoy it because it game was so different with the puck friction.

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
It sounds like you have a wide forefoot, but the rest of your foot isn't wide. I have a similar foot and most skates are either too wide in the heel or too narrow in the forefoot. There are two models that work for my feet:
Easton Mako (M7, M8 or Mako II. I would stay away from the original ones with the orange tendon guards as they weren't as durable). They were discontinued in 2015, but some are still floating around on Sidelineswap. They're ice boots; so you would have to get them converted to inline. I had a Sprung chassis installed on mine.

True TF7s or TF9 skates. These are current models. A lot of places carry the ice boots for inline conversions and inline warehouse carries the stock roller versions with a Revision chassis and wheels. True is offering a 30 day satisfaction guarantee via participating retailers. That means you can buy them, bake them and try them and if they don't fit you can return them within 30 days.

The challenge with both the Mako and True skates is that they're really thermoformable and the right size will usually feel too small before baking. You won't know how they fit until you bake them (and they're baked longer than most brands. 10 minutes for the Makos).

For sizing, I scan a 7.5 Fit 3 on the Bauer scanner and measure an 8 on the Brannock. I use 8EE Mako skates, but would drop to a 7W True. The True skates fit longer than Bauer in the same size. With Makos, a lot of people fit the same size as Bauer and some, like me, go a half either way.

Trying the skates on in person and having them baked is best, but if that's not possible then finding a Bauer scanner could help you make an educated guess. If you're a Fit 1 or 2 with the scanner then a D width Mako or R width True would be the right width after baking. You would only need to jump up to EE or W if you're scanned as a Fit 3. Then with True you could order a half size smaller than the Bauer scan. Ordering Trues from a place that honours the 30 day guarantee and then baking them would be the safest bet.

Another skate you could try on would be the CCM Ribcore in EE. The D width Ribcore is narrower, but the EE has worked for some old RBK users. A conversion would be needed as they only make Ribcore ice skates.
Lots of great information. Thank you very much.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I hate the new tongues, they look cheap af how thin they are
Side note, roller blading is hard. During lockdown I bought Marsblades thinking the transition from ice to roller would be seamless and I fell on my ass lol, I was like Bambi
I learned to inline skate before Ice skate, so the transition was a lot easier for me. However, I strongly dislike marsblades. I can see if I was younger and on path to be an NHL'er, making sure my of-ice training doesn't halt my Ice skating, but when I'm on inline skates, I want it to feel like inline skates.

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
Can anyone recommend pants and a girdle?
For a girdle, I recommend the Force Krome referee girdle. It's very similar to my old Valken V-elite inline girdle which is well ventilated, mobile and not too bulky, but provides better protection that the light foam girdles like the Mission Core. Here's the Force girdle: http://www.forcesports.com/fs_products/krome-girdle/

If you want additional protection, you could opt for an ice girdle, but that will be heavier, bulkier and hotter and isn't really needed for most people.

For pants, if you can still find some Valken V-Pro pants, they're super durable with the articulated gusseted knees and will outlast most newer models. This site seems to have some in stock: Valken V-Pro Roller Hockey Pants - Valken V-Pro Inline Roller Hockey Pants - Valken V-Pro Hockey Pants

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

giphy.gif

Wish I had money to burn on that.

I was considering just posting this is the skate thread instead of bumping a Roller Hockey thread. But I saw this posted and decided to just leave it here. Bauer released a HyperLite inline skate. (Bauer HyperLite2)

For some reason, they decided to stick with these Chassis on their top of the line model. For $950, something seems off here. The price point feels like it should be closer to what they offered last year with a lack of a real high-end model. If you're looking for a HyperLite inline, I think a conversion is still best.

I have a problem with treating myself to new skate every coupe of years and have some that are barely used, but I think I'll be avoiding these and waiting for the 2025 Missions.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 094724.png

Last edited:

LennyRi

Jun 27, 2012
Rijeka
I ve switched Bauer goalie ice skates to roller and like the result,these Bauer fit system is great

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_161206.jpg
    IMG_20240404_161206.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 3

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I was considering just posting this is the skate thread instead of bumping a Roller Hockey thread. But I saw poster and decided to just leave it here. Bauer released a HyperLite inline skate. (Bauer HyperLite2)

For some reason, they decided to stick with these Chassis on their top of the line model. For $950, something seems off here. The price point feels like it should be closer to what they offered last year with a lack of a real high-end model. If you're looking for a HyperLite inline, I think a conversion is still best.

I have a problem with treating myself to new skate every coupe of years and have some that are barely used, but I think I'll be avoiding these and waiting for the 2025 Missions.

View attachment 842500

Yeah that's wild...basically all the same features of the 3X Pro ...same shitty aluminum chassis and crappys wheels but an even more inflated price.

This is a nice mod. FT4 Pro ice boot with Kryptonium Chassis and Konix Pure X's....

my-grail-skates-for-beer-league-v0-02r37f93hh0a1.jpg

Reactions: ru4reals and TGWL
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
on the similar topic, I stumbled across the Pro Beach (Roller) Hockey page on instagram. Apparently they are coming out with a documentary soon about the league

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
$25.00 a wheel for new Labeda Whips that just came out...they require their own spacers.

nuKUWAL.png

More info and review from player who plays in Pro tournaments who used them
I got into it a little with them on FB. They changed the method and added the ability to add spacers to the wheel when buying. Originally it was set where you had to buy $30 spacers. But this doesn't make sense as buying w/ the wheels saves you $10. Talk about over charging on the spacers.

I've heard mix reviews from players. Same for the Slime wheels when they were released. Called tournament wheels w/ durability issues. A couple people have raved about it and said durability hasn't been a problem. Guess we'll see. But the price is a bit high for me to try these on first release.

Twig hockey has 20% off right now over $225. If you sign up for an account and refer a different email, you get $30 off on that referred account, plus the 20% off. Comes to like $225 or so for 2 sticks with shipping and tax.

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I hate the new tongues, they look cheap af how thin they are
Side note, roller blading is hard. During lockdown I bought Marsblades thinking the transition from ice to roller would be seamless and I fell on my ass lol, I was like Bambi

Primarily an inline player, and have somewhat of the opposite problem, but I did improve my skating on ice as there are no good available blading surfaces in Vancouver that are to my needs.

I have no idea how that one dude plays on asphalt, is he using a ball? Impossible to handle a puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad