Roller Hockey Stoping

2x4*

How do you stop in roller hockey?
Its taken some getting used to for just skating in roller hockey, cant do all the sliding and skidding like in ice hockey :D

xpat1313x

Jan 7, 2004
Middleboro, Ma
Visit site
Just started playing roller a few months ago. Now that i'm starting to get more comfortable on the blades I can stop just like I can on ice, so you best bet is just to practice stopping the same way.

pitthockey81

Apr 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
The motion resembles making a real hard turn (get the hips and shoulders turned around) and while in that motion the outside skate needs to go perpendicular to the direction you are stopping. That leg needs to be straight, and the inside leg needs to be flexed. It only works when you have speed, and you can't be afraid to wipe out. It will take some practice to get the right feel for it, but once you do its like riding a bike.

See Pic

Polska

May 25, 2004
Vancouver
Just think of it as a tight turn in ice, except you obviously wanna stop instead of going through the turn.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
a hard turn or kinda like a ice hockey stop somewhat if you got the right wheels.. i suggest getting indoor wheels such as rinkrats... they are awesome

2x4*

I got the CMM Vector PF6 and they came with rink rat hotshot wheels.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Make sure you have the right wheel for the surface you are skating on (softer wheels are for indoors (68A to 74A typically), harder wheels outdoors (78A to 84A), anything in between is "multipurpose") that will make a huge difference. The reason wheels are so important is that in inline the wheel is designed to compress to absorb your energy in an up-and-down manner to help you stop. If you have too hard of a wheel, the wheel will not compress and the energy instead of being absorbed will cause your wheel to slide out from underneath you. I use Rink Rats too and love them because of the triple-pour technology that creates three layers of different hardnesses, but I will be trying Revision wheels soon which also feature a multi-layer pouring process. Honestly, you get what you pay for. If you want a good wheel, be prepared to spend in excess of $60/set.

Second major thing about stopping in inline is make sure to bend your knees. This also acts to absorb your energy and will help you not only stop quicker, but also put you in a position that you can be ready to make a explosive step in the opposite direction if need be.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Use Mr. Sticky wheels.

I have been playing roller since they had plastic frames way back in the day. I have tried every wheel, including the "Live Action" wheels they had out 10 years ago, that "let you stop just like you where on ice" roflmao

Live action was a joke, they had little strips of metal in the wheel and it forced the rubber to seperate from the hub..and the wheels weighed 100lbs each.

I can't stop like I can on ice with Mr. Stickys, that is impossible. However, I can stop on a dime if I am not going full speed. I can actually slide on the wheels like I am on ice before I pull up.

Took years to learn how to do that, but it can be done. You have to wear away the film the wheel is coated with before you can do that, however. A new wheel creates too much friction to actually slide on it.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
yeah- its all in the wheels. It takes some getting used to. Its pretty much like taking a quick sharp turn on ice skates, but if you have the right wheels (not too soft, not too hard) youll slide a bit on the floor and come to a stop. I cant do this with wheels that are too soft, or the wheel would stick too much, and Id be on my ***. Same with wheels that were too hard- only I would slide too much and fall on my ***.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
arent you guys afraid you will rip chunks of your wheel when you stop like that.. im super parel now that i lost massive chunks from my old wheels from doing ice stops while playing roller hockey

colton23

Sep 10, 2006
I am a life long roller player and when I play i dont want to slide i want to stop. a good way to do this is to skate fast start to turn lift your inside skate and start to lean into the turn as your starting the turn slam your inside skate onto the surface and you will stop. you cant be afraid to fall because it takes alot of practice. If you do it right you will hear a very satisfying skreech:)

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I 110% agree with whoever said that it's all in the wheels... it's that, and what surface you're playing on. If you're playing on flightdeck, which is what most indoor rinks use, then you have to have very soft and grippy wheels. I suggest the purple Hyper Trinity's, or the Trinity in general. I just got the purple because it fits the color scheme of my skate - the Tour Silvermax - and the hardness is just right for me at 75A. That number, with the A, is known as the durometer of the wheel, or how hard it is. The lower the number, the better off you are on indoor, and vice versa for outdoor, at least in terms of how long the wheels last.

I've been playing roller since I was 7, and it took me a long time to finally perform an ice stop on blades. But once I mastered it, I can stop on one foot, stop both ways, and cut as hard as humanly possible. Now, if I could only do that on ice, which I'm just starting to play.

hckyguy14

I've been playing inline for years and I have always stopped just like on ice. I've had people try and scare me out of changing my ways though. Such as the time my teamate made a hard stop and turned his ankle so hard he actually broke it. Hasn't played since.

But I've always stopped that way and will continue too.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
The motion resembles making a real hard turn (get the hips and shoulders turned around) and while in that motion the outside skate needs to go perpendicular to the direction you are stopping. That leg needs to be straight, and the inside leg needs to be flexed. It only works when you have speed, and you can't be afraid to wipe out. It will take some practice to get the right feel for it, but once you do its like riding a bike.

See Pic

Great description (and pic).

And lots of practice, practice, PRACTICE !!!!

Edit: Also in roller hockey, you're better off not stopping anyway. Try to stay in a constant motion the whole time during your shift. This will better help you get into the play, or get back on defense when the other team starts moving the puck.

2x4*

Yea well one time I was skating probably as fast as I possibly can this past season (i learned pretty well how to stop my self :) ) to get around some one , got my shot off but then was faced with a bad situation. Im going full speed and I am 10 feet away from the boards!!!! I just decided to try to turn as much as possible, and then jumped into the boards like a body check. It worked nicely, but then some dumb *** on the other team said "Hey there are boards there!" I guess he would understand if he staked any quicker than 5 mph.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
How do you stop in roller hockey?
Its taken some getting used to for just skating in roller hockey, cant do all the sliding and skidding like in ice hockey :D

I used to turn and jump, and it would stop me cold when rollerblading. In fact, i stop better on rollerblades than ice skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->