Roller Hockey Discomfort

alatos

Jun 12, 2011
Last year I bought some Mission Roller Hockey Skates. I never got to skate with them much at all, maybe one or two times. Now that I have started skating with them, after about 5 minutes they start to hurt, and at 15 minutes it is unbearable. They are not too small, they would be a touch on the big side if anything. I wear a thirteen shoe, and these skates are a thirteen. The pain is an incredible pain in my arch area of my foot. Any suggestions?

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
Do you know what year the Mission skates were produced in? In the last two years, Mission skates no longer follow US shoe sizes, and will fit about a size and a half down (maybe even 2 sizes if you wear shoes big).

They might be too narrow for you, you might have flat feet. In either case, something like Reebok would probably fit your feet more comfortably.

Blueland89

Dec 1, 2009
Cartersville, Ga
Yeah the older MIssion skate used to be sized to your shoe size but the new ones fit like Bauers I believe they run a size and a half larger than your shoe size so if you wear a 13 you would need to get a pair of 11 1/2

alatos

Jun 12, 2011
Thanks, guys. I do know that I have flat feet, so that may be the problem. The skates are the Proto-VS. I am not sure exactly what year they were made, but I do think it was before Reebok bought Mission. I know they don't fit exactly right, there is some space between my toes and the toe of the boot. Do you guys think the discomfort could possible be corrected with an insert of some kind, or am I screwed?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
It could be because you are flat-footed. The same thing happened to me, after games I wouldn't be able to walk and would have to take Advil. That's the only thing I can advise you to do if you are flat-footed is Advil, but not during the game it's risky and IMO it takes me out of the game.

I would call up a foot doctor and tell him your situation.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Thanks, guys. I do know that I have flat feet, so that may be the problem. The skates are the Proto-VS. I am not sure exactly what year they were made, but I do think it was before Reebok bought Mission. I know they don't fit exactly right, there is some space between my toes and the toe of the boot. Do you guys think the discomfort could possible be corrected with an insert of some kind, or am I screwed?

You could try an insert, but in my case it propped up my ankles too high and they would be very awkward. I think it would be a very bad risk to take. You would be an ankle-break hazard for sure.

I always used Mission and would this problem too. I would get a smaller boot size and go from there. I know my skates always fitted well, but they still made my flat-feet hurt like a *****. Advil before and after games is what got me through it. That and once the adrenaline goes, I don't feel a whole lot.

alatos

Jun 12, 2011
Thanks, comforting to here I am not alone. May have to contact a doctor.

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
The Proto VS you bought are likely the reproductions of the earlier Mission skates, so I am guessing they go off the old Mission sizing since I don't think the Proto models were used under the new sizing.

I don't think there is much you can do to the current skates. The arch inside the skate is set a certain way, and it is going to force your foot up no matter what insole you put in.

Some flat footed people talk about Superfeet helping them, but I would think that they would cause even more of an issue since they look like they have a big arch in them. And they will eat up volume in the skate, which could help you or lead to more problems like lace bite depending on the current fit.

I'd check out some other skates, maybe get fitted by someone intelligent so you know you are getting a more appropriate skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->