Roller Coaster Tycoon appreciation thread

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
One of the first games I really got into and I'm back at it again 20 years later- just a brilliant design. It's amazing how balanced it is and how everything just works. Completing the goals can be a bit easy and repetitive, but I continually get a kick outta trying to build the perfect park in all these different scenarios. Anyone play this when they were younger? It still holds up as solid fun today. Feel like I actually learned a good amount from the game as well, figuring out why guests didn't like going through unbanked turns at 60 mph was a nice little lesson in physics.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I loved the first two games, the ones made by Chris Sawyer (who also made one of my other favorite management games, Transport Tycoon).

If you're going to play them nowadays, you may want to look into ways to improve the experience. The first game can be hacked to play in widescreen resolutions up to your monitor resolution: RollerCoaster Tycoon | WSGF. I've tested it in the past and it works.

RCT2 supports widescreen resolutions natively, but you may still appreciate the improvements given with OpenRCT2, an open source re-implementation of RCT2: OpenRCT2 OpenRCT2 project. If you do some searching, you should be able to find versions of RCT1's scenarios that you can load in OpenRCT2 to effectively play the original game in it.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Was before my time, I'll admit, but shoutout to Planet Coaster if anyone wants to play the modern spiritual successor to the ol Rollercoaster Tycoon series.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 & 2 as well as numerous other awesome old games are available on GOG.com. For $5.99 for 1 and $9.99 for 2, I have to say it was absolutely worth it.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
RCT2 supports widescreen resolutions natively, but you may still appreciate the improvements given with OpenRCT2, an open source re-implementation of RCT2: OpenRCT2 OpenRCT2 project. If you do some searching, you should be able to find versions of RCT1's scenarios that you can load in OpenRCT2 to effectively play the original game in it.

For anyone that has RCT2, I highly recommend getting OpenRCT2. It's the best way to play the game, IMO. (Also, OpenRCT2 can actually load the original RCT1 scenarios as an alternative to the fan-made recreations of them)

Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 & 2 as well as numerous other awesome old games are available on GOG.com. For $5.99 for 1 and $9.99 for 2, I have to say it was absolutely worth it.

Both are also available on Steam for the same prices.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

member 157595

I refuse to buy RC on Steam because it's the type of game where you forget the rest of the world exists.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There's also RollerCoaster Tycoon Classic, a 2017 "remaster" of the first two games. It's basically like OpenRCT2, but is official and comes with most of the scenarios and features from both games. It's an option for those who just want a ready-made solution and don't want to hassle with using 3rd-party programs, hacking executables or copying original files.

For anyone that has RCT2, I highly recommend getting OpenRCT2. It's the best way to play the game, IMO. (Also, OpenRCT2 can actually load the original RCT1 scenarios as an alternative to the fan-made recreations of them)

Oh, nice. When I did a search last night, I came across posts from several years ago that pointed to the fan-made recreations because the developers hadn't yet implemented loading of the original scenarios. I'm glad that they've since implemented it.

Last edited:

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I remember as a kid I used to be excited to bring home maps from real amusement parks so that I could go home and re-create it in RCT

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Parkitect is very similar to the classic RCT games. Much moreso than Planet Coaster, which is awesome in its own right, but quite a bit more complex than RCT.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I was never big on computer games but I played this and The Sims probably more than any other game.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Can't believe I got that game for free in a cereal box. I must have spent half of my high school years playing it.
OMG I FORGOT THEY HAD IT IN CEREAL BOXES.

God I spent so much time on those games. My sister and I would fight for the computer because I wanted to play RT and she’d play the Sims

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
YESHH all praise the og tycoon game.

Anyone have any recommendations on easiest way to get RCT2 on Mac? I got the first one using crossover and bottles and it didn't work perfectly, opened it months later and it works fine. I'm not technically minded, so something I can't screw up would be great

Ps- I'm almost finished with the first two expansions, loopy landscapes and.. other thing. Man, some of these scenarios are rough!

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The first 2 are in my top 5 most played games of all-time, and the combo that is RTC Classic is just about the only mobile game worth a damn in my book.

3 was fine and good, but by the time I had a PC that could handle it the graphics had aged like rancid gravy, so...meh. Nothing after that is worth acknowledging. Go to hell, "Atari." I love me some Planet Coaster, but I've played it a fraction as much as the old ones. I don't have the patience to make a brilliant park and that's kinda the point of that game. The missions are not very good and there aren't many of them. It's one case where getting what I always wanted (near infinite creation options) actually worked to the detriment of the genre. It's the only game I've spent more time watching Let's Plays of than actually playing.*

*That I actually play.

Last edited:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
What a great game. Some of the mid-levels felt like they dragged on a little bit, so since I played it back in my younger days, I don't think I ever finished the entire thing.

I bought it through one of the digital gaming sites (can't remember the name) a year or two ago for $0.99, but haven't played it yet. I've got to do it at some point.

One of my favorite things was either a.) opening a coaster and increasing the launch speed so high that it flies off the tracks and crashes, or b.) dragging 100+ people onto a single tile about 200 feet in the air so they have nowhere to go. :laugh: Man, you can have a lot of fun with the game without even playing for the objectives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad