Tennis: Roland Garros 2018

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Winnable match for Shapo by the looks of it, and based on his post-match comments it sounds like he didn't enjoy playing a lefty either (I'm a prototypical lefty myself and it's no secret that we don't like to play lefties either :D). Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things though as this will give him some time to rest and get ready for the grass season.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa played well but far from perfectly, but Pella had no answers for anything. Pella went one better than Dogopolov in the first round in that Guido actually showed up for his match, but that was about as far as he was willing to take it, 2, 1 and 1.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The unprepossessing Ashleigh Barty holds serve throughout a 6-3 first set win over Serena whose mobility, understandably, still isn't the greatest.

2nd set: After losing her first service game, Serena screams her way back to attention, pretty much blowing Barty's lacklustre game to smithereens in the process. 6-3.

3rd set: Serena takes control 3-1. Timid Barty isn't posing too much of a threat right now.

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Man... did I ever jinx Shapo ? Sucks that he lost, he seemed in control when I left for work.

But this morning.. my last remaining hope NAOMI OSAKA! Against Madison Keys of all people ! Gotta be one of the better matches of the day. I will definitely wake up early for this one again.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Dimitrov down 2 sets to Verdasco. I don't like his chances of coming back here.

Zverev in a tight match against Dzumhur. 1 set all and on serve in the 3rd. Zverev just escaped a 0-40 hole.

Zverev not so lucky next service as Dzumhur breaks and will serve for the 3rd set...which he does.

Both Dimitrov and Zverev on the brink now.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Despite intense pressure placed on Nole's backhand, RBA cannot close out the third set, now 5-4.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Questionable shot making from RBA...
I was just thinking was all his emphasis on Nole's backhand tactical or just RBA afraid to move out of his own comfort zone.

Nole wins the uber-important tie breaker pretty much in alpha-dog fashion, i.e., no question who is the elite player and who is the very good player.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Alpha Dog theme is very evident at the start of the fourth set as RBA loses serve with a really badly played game that makes it appear that if he had a tail it would be between his legs right now, 2-love.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
4-1 with Nole looking pretty much like he is back to having fun. In fact, he is right on the edge of being a little too cavalier at the moment. From one angle, that's good to see.....

Serving at 5-1, perhaps distracted by the rain, Nole finally has a bad game and is broken, 5-2, and the tiniest of tiny slivers of hope emerges for RBA....back to insouciance, Nole breaks for the set and the match.

An early round match that is just what the doctor ordered.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think rehiring Marian Wajda might just be the smartest move that Djokovic ever made. Just in terms of Nole's attitude alone, Wajda is really earning his money lately.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
French honor at stake in two tasty-looking matches: Goffin/Monfils and Khachanov/Pouille.

Monfils takes the opening set tiebreaker in a set that could hardly have been more even.

2nd set: Fortunes diverge dramatically as Goffin takes the set 6-3 after pulling out to a 5-love lead.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem just finishes his match which he won in four sets, and there is now a lengthy rain delay.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Dimitrov down 2 sets to Verdasco. I don't like his chances of coming back here.

Zverev in a tight match against Dzumhur. 1 set all and on serve in the 3rd. Zverev just escaped a 0-40 hole.

Zverev not so lucky next service as Dzumhur breaks and will serve for the 3rd set...which he does.

Both Dimitrov and Zverev on the brink now.

Didn't catch the match but spotted this article/vid about it.....what was that ball boy thinking?! :laugh:

Watch: Tennis player collides with ballboy at French Open

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fog sneaks by in five over Edmund.

Khachanov knocks off the underachieving Pouille in four.

Sharapova murders Pliskova, The Better in two.

Nadal horsewhips Gasquet 3, 2 and 2 (match not even that close, either).

Schwatzman, shaping up as the closest thing there is to a threat on clay in Rafa's half, hammers Coric in three.

Cilic, kind of flying under the radar, squishes Johnson in straight sets.

Kontaveit squeezes by Kvitova, 6 and 6. :vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
5-5 in the fourth set as Goffin saves two match points on serve against Monfils. This one has been an absolute humdinger of a match with both players running miles in very long points.

Monfils looks gassed after almost every point, but he may be playing possum. Can't blame him though if he really is exhausted.

Goffin wins another marathon game to go up 6-5, serving to even this match at two sets apiece....in rare sunlight, a rare love game for the set.

Monfils is broken in the first game of the fifth set. Could kind of see that coming....But Gael breaks right back. Possible possum angle definitely in play. :laugh:....not for long, though as David breaks immediately, 2-1. Both these guys are playing on vapors.

Monfils is broken again but Goffin can't hold for the match, 5-3. Four hours of highly competitive tennis (over two days) has taken a lot out of both players....Monfils offers no resistance on serve. David gets the grueling win.

Match of the tournament so far.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Halep wins going away over Petkovic, 5 and love. Not exactly of the same order as Ovie winning his first Cup, but I would like to see Halep win her first slam. Roland Garros seems like as good a place to do it as any especially with Serena still a ways away from full throttle.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Del Potro takes a tight first set off Ramos-Vinolas, 7-5. Juan Martin's life would be so much easier if he volleyed more. It's mystifying why he doesn't come in with greater frequency on obviously vulnerable returns from his opponents.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Looking extremely sharp against an opponent who is playing well, Serena defeats Goerges 6-3 in the first. Best set of the tournament so far for Williams--which could mean big trouble for everybody else if she approximates this form the rest of the tournament.

The second set is equally convincing, a 6-4 win against a strong opponent. What's more is that Serena is moving around the court with gusto rather than reluctance. She looks like she wants the fight.

She could be another example how time off for a great player equals a reinvigorated game upon her return.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Zverev advances into his first ever GS QF. 3rd straight 5 setter though.
I'm just glad to see him start winning those. There is the question of how much energy will he have going forward, but he is showing a lot of fortitude right now and learning to win under pressure on the big stage.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kontaveit getting clobbered by Stephens, 6-2. 3-love at the moment. Unforced errors are killing her and they are getting more frequent as the match progresses. Stephens is playing really well but Kontaveit is her own worst enemy right now. Sloane closes the match 6-love. Ouch. :pout:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad