Tennis: Roland Garros 2018

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Del Potro is playing, but maybe he shouldn't be...

He has cleaned things up after a brutal first set.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Polansky just broke for a second game in a row and takes the second set against Herbert! One set apiece now.

During the changeover both players agreed it was too dark to continue, so they'll finish up tomorrow.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole in tough against Jaume, who I think is the kid who recently beat FAA. The scores are 7-6, 4-4 at the moment....just as I write that, Nole breaks and serves it out 6-4.

Nole takes the final set with little fuss, 6-4. Well played match--good outing for Djokovic who looks like he is rounding into form nicely.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
To get in the mood, I watched the last three sets of Lendl's come-from-behind defeat of McEnroe in 1984 at Roland Garros, Ivan's first ever GS title in his sixth final. The homer announcers--Dick Enberg and Bud Collins--were oohing and aahing at retrievals that would now be deemed ordinary, hardly worthy of comment, and McEnroe was just softballing a lot of backhands across the net. It looked like a different sport. John really should have played Hamlet at some point.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Berdych gone. Mounted a comeback but fell short.

Zverev and Dimitrov down early, so we'll see how their matches get on.

And they both lost the first set.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Danger signal. Lajovic knocks off Sascha in the first set, easily, 6-2.

Dusan has had a good spring, especially lately, with wins on clay over Khachanov, del Potro, Gasquet, and Fritz.

....and he just went up an early break in the second set, 3-1. The guy is on a major roll.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He's beginning to play better now, though. Back on serve.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Donaldson takes the 3rd set from Dimitrov. Donaldson up 2 sets to 1.

Lajovic up a break late in the 3rd against Zverev. 1 set apiece right now.

Nishikori/Paire even at 1 set apiece but Paire up a break in the 3rd.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Gulbis out in four undistinguished sets to Berrettini.

Kontaveit through to the third round in straight sets.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem over Tsitsipas 6-2 in the first set--dueling lasers at about a hundred feet.

Tsitsipas over Thiem 6-2 in the second set--tsit for tsat so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem probably looking forward to play ending for the day...
I don't know. Overall, I thought that he was winning almost all of the little things--more probing backhand; better second serve; better tactical sense; et al. Hell of a match, though.

Reactions: Tuggy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nice effort by Donaldson. I marked that down as a loss when I see Dimitrov was the next match, so taking it to five is better than I'd expect.

Really disappointing showing from the American men. Only Isner and Johnson are still left, and Johnson will likely go out very soon. Isner will probably go out somewhat early, as well. He always just barely falls short of a good tournament at the grand slams. Rinse, repeat almost every time.

Things were looking up for them last year, but now things are looking down. None of the younger players have really broken out just yet. Donaldson has been stuck around the same ranking for some time. I'm not sure he's good enough to be a top player eventually, so this stumbling block isn't that surprising. Tiafoe is having a good season, but he's around where he was last season before he tumbled back down the rankings. Same situation for Fritz. Both went out first round of this event. I think both have potential, but they gotta show it eventually. I am slightly more convinced that Fritz will, but I doubt either reaches top 10 eventually.

Sock has been abysmal this year. Hard to know why. He can barely win any matches. He loses first round almost every tournament, despite being top 10 at the end of last season. Querrey is really hard to beat once in a while and can make a run, but otherwise is not that good most of the time. We'll see how Korda does when he starts getting into bigger events. He's pretty talented. I like what I've seen of his play.

Reactions: kihei

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I don't know. Overall, I thought that he was winning almost all of the little things--more probing backhand; better second serve; better tactical sense; et al. Hell of a match, though.

It's been a good one.

No matter what happens tomorrow, Tsitspias looks to have a nice future on clay.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'm following Osaka and Shapovalov more closely in this RG. Hope both players continue starting at 11 am on weekdays !

Shapovalov-Marterer

1st set

Currently watching Shapovalov and Marterer. Both players have been regular with a only a few missed break chances for Shapovalov on one service game of Marterer. 4-4 now in first set.

Now 5-4 Shapovalov with Marterer going on the service. And 5-5. Both players extremely regular on the serve so far.

Shapovalov is so fun to watch play regardless of if he's winning or not.

Now 5-5, 40-0 Shapovalov, and he takes the lead 6-5 on his serve. Now would be a good time for first break of the match.

3rd break chance for Shapo on Marterer's 2nd double fault of this point. Marterer crumbling down under pressure.. and Shapo does it ! 7-5 ! POPOPOPOPO OLÉ !

2nd set

Shapovalov finds himself in trouble early on 0-30 but comes up with two big serve, an ace and a winner. Is in trouble again later for first Marterer's break chanec at 30-40.. but again big service game to get him out of trouble. Great players often have that dimension to their game where they can win games with strong service when they're not at their best. And Marterer misses an easy winner at the net to make this 15-40 ... two break chances. He saves one, but can't save both. 2-0 Shapovalov. Marterer realizing it will be tough to beat the youngster.

Shapovalov offers a break chance to Marterer with a double fault, again another break chance but fights hard and lets Marterer make the mistakes and it's 3-0. Time to go to work unfortunately, but Shapo seems to have things in hand !

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Sloppy but tense match with Marterer taking the third set 7-5. Denis now down two sets to one....Marterer isn't actually playing that well at all, but Denis hasn't yet learned that patience can be a virtue on clay--he is just very uneven off the ground when he isn't hitting sizzling topspin winners (though he is hitting a lot of those). Denis can still win this but he needs to smarten up a little and make Marterer keep more balls in play, 5-4 on serve.

Bah.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Thiem and Cilic advance.

Denis in a tight match but down 2 sets to 1 right now in the 4th.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem closes out his close match against Tsitsipas, 6-4. Got the feeling Stefanos is going to be a good one, though.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Winner/unforced errors pretty much tell the story:

Dennis: 52/82
Marterer: 20/52

Definitely a winnable match, but also probably a good learning experience on clay for Shapo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad