Rogers Place Construction :: Part VI: Mod warning #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tster

Nov 11, 2015
Finally got to see Rogers up close this past weekend. I was thinking the same as other posts relative to the exterior. East side and winter gardens seems to be taking forever to complete. One post indicates exterior to be completed by mid September. I was under the assumption that construction would be wrapping up by beginning of september?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Finally got to see Rogers up close this past weekend. I was thinking the same as other posts relative to the exterior. East side and winter gardens seems to be taking forever to complete. One post indicates exterior to be completed by mid September. I was under the assumption that construction would be wrapping up by beginning of september?

As far as I know the formal handover of the keys i.e. a functional facility will be on 2 September. However cosmetic work will continue after that for a few weeks/month.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As far as I know the formal handover of the keys i.e. a functional facility will be on 2 September. However cosmetic work will continue after that for a few weeks/month.

For sure, and with the attached nearby work of the Stantec, Merriott and ex Greyhound Bus sites to be under construction for another couple years or so, the southside isn't going to look too pretty for a while yet.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
For sure, and with the attached nearby work of the Stantec, Merriott and ex Greyhound Bus sites to be under construction for another couple years or so, the southside isn't going to look too pretty for a while yet.

yeah, the reality is that people won't be accessing the arena from the south for quite some time

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Looks like they're filming something between the benches. That or having a tour of some sort. About 6 or 7 people there right now.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I wonder, are we going to hear the same complaints from other teams' fans that the TV cameras are on "the wrong side of the ice?"

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
What happens if the building isn't ready for the concerts? Will they move to rexall or cancel all together?

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I NEVER noticed that until it was said ROFL. And the funny part was, I didn't even gave a rats ass either :laugh:

I always got a kick of other fans complaining about it. I never noticed it either before that because... who cares enough to notice?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Uh huh.

But what if it isn't?

why worry about something that isn't likely to happen?

but for the sake of argument, I'm sure Rexall wouldn't turn away a concert if the arena wasn't ready. or if nothing else, the show would be cancelled and the band would move on to the next town.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
why worry about something that isn't likely to happen?

but for the sake of argument, I'm sure Rexall wouldn't turn away a concert if the arena wasn't ready. or if nothing else, the show would be cancelled and the band would move on to the next town.

Outside of there being a natural disaster I can't see how it wouldn't be ready.

People need to remember these projects generally aren't complete when open. If they are getting closer to event night and things aren't ready they will start doing work that will be enough to get things by.

McHilman

Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton
Drake skipped Calgary because of the Saddledome’s roof

Live Nation events say the arena’s load bearing capacity is too low

Artists such as Drake and Maroon 5 haven’t been able to move their sets into the Saddledome, so they’ve had to skip Calgary.

By: Aaron Chatha Metro Published on Thu Jul 14 2016

CalgaryNEXT could bring more big-name artists to Calgary, according to a Live Nation spokesman.
Calgary Flames president Ken King has stated in the past it will be a superior concert venue to the existing Saddledome.

There are a number of reasons why so many big name musical acts skip Calgary on their Canada tours – but the main culprit is the Saddledome roof.
“If it’s a very, very large show – you can use Drake as an example. The Drake show is too heavy, it can’t play Calgary,” explained Live Nation central president Ian Low. “The Maroon 5 show last year, it was too big, it couldn’t play Calgary. That’s the main reason artists skip playing the market.”
Low said big shows come with heavy, transforming sets with large LED screens, and can average about 120,000 lbs.

According to the Saddledome website, its grid structure can only support about 60,000 lbs – the CalgaryNEXT stadium, when its built, is expected to support significantly more, which Low said could mean more big acts moving through the city.

He said big venues throughout the country now support an average capacity of 200,000 lbs. Having a heavy show in the Saddledome causes safety concerns, as it drags down the roof. Bands in the past have been forced to cancel shows when their weight allowance teetered on the edge – and heavy snow on the roof caused it to become too much of a risk.
http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary/2016/07/14/drake-skipped-calgary-because-of-the-saddledome-roof.html?platform=hootsuite

FYI:
From floor to ceiling, Rogers Place has been designed to host the world’s most cutting edge and advanced entertainment. Arena design takes into account the need to accommodate ever larger and more complex shows and how they are staged. Those design features include the ability to rig up to 200,000 pounds, giving Rogers Place one of the largest hanging capacities of any venue in Canada.
http://www.rogersplace.com/keith-urban-to-help-open-building/

Last edited:

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask anyway: can the boards be moved out to play games by international rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad