Rogers Place Construction :: Part V: Mod warning #846

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
i know nothing about construction (very little at the best), but since they are roughly 75% done (or whatever that percentage is) and they are slightly ahead of schedule.... logic would dictate that (unless something rather bad occurs) they should continue to be on schedule

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Have people already forgot about rexall? It won't be renovated/destroyed for a bit until Northlands finalizes their plans for it. Regardless, Rogers Place will likely be finished on schedule anyways

It will be finished, no question. My understanding is that Rexall won't be an option because it won't be set up for NHL hockey by that point.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It will be finished, no question. My understanding is that Rexall won't be an option because it won't be set up for NHL hockey by that point.

Yeah, I think if there was any potential that Rogers wouldn't be ready in time they would simply delay the changes at Rexall. So if they're going ahead with decommissioning the NHL aspects of Rexall, they are confident enough that it will be finished.

This is, however, assuming that the people in charge are intelligent people with foresight. Which hopefully isn't too much of an assumption.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
Delivery on the rink surface. Tough to say what they are. Large, semi cylindrical... new goal horns?

http://www.rogersplace.com/rogers-place-live-view-3/

edit 1 - Truck pulled into a better position for view of the trailer load. Some sort of pipe, not sure as to possible application.

edit 2 - Whatever the pipes are, and the crates that came in with them, they are up in the rafters now. The last piece is being lifted up there now

Last edited:

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
If something went wrong at Rogers (at this point it's on schedule), I'd imagine they'd either start out with a lengthy road trip if it's a small delay, or negotiate with Northlands to play at Rexall if need be. Don't think it'll come to that, though.

Will that even be an option, being that the schedule will be released the last week of June?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, I think if there was any potential that Rogers wouldn't be ready in time they would simply delay the changes at Rexall. So if they're going ahead with decommissioning the NHL aspects of Rexall, they are confident enough that it will be finished.

This is, however, assuming that the people in charge are intelligent people with foresight. Which hopefully isn't too much of an assumption.

I don't think Northlands really cares about the Oilers and Katz at this point. I'm not sure why they are decommissioning anyways, but knowing Northlands I could see them doing this just to spite the Oilers.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Will that even be an option, being that the schedule will be released the last week of June?

Instead of that CFR break in November that we usually get hit with, they could just tell the NHL that they want to start on the road.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Delivery on the rink surface. Tough to say what they are. Large, semi cylindrical... new goal horns?

http://www.rogersplace.com/rogers-place-live-view-3/

edit 1 - Truck pulled into a better position for view of the trailer load. Some sort of pipe, not sure as to possible application.

edit 2 - Whatever the pipes are, and the crates that came in with them, they are up in the rafters now. The last piece is being lifted up there now

I saw the truck pull in but missed the lift... was it arena lighting?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
i know nothing about construction (very little at the best), but since they are roughly 75% done (or whatever that percentage is) and they are slightly ahead of schedule.... logic would dictate that (unless something rather bad occurs) they should continue to be on schedule

that's the feeling I get, too.
way too early for people to start with the sky falling.

it's not like the city of Edmonton is running this project.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure what exactly Northlands would do to make Rexall not NHL worthy this summer. The ice plant is staying in until at least early 2017, because they're hosting the Curling World Championships...

Destroy the boards? Start changing the seating so a rink can't even be put in for hockey? Really don't know, but there are small things I can see them doing

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
that's the feeling I get, too.
way too early for people to start with the sky falling.

it's not like the city of Edmonton is running this project.

I don't even know if the City really cares about projects that go past their startup date. Well actually I know they don't care when it comes to potential bonuses and penalty jobs.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
I saw the truck pull in but missed the lift... was it arena lighting?

Don't think so, but maybe. There were 2 crates (~4x6x3) and two large pipes with large flanges and bases. Everything was lifted into the rafters.

Edit - More parts being lifted into place now. Electrical panel, some more pipe, and other things I can't discern

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

The only reason they were ever very minimally ahead of the construction timeline is two winters of construction and dry springs that were the best possible construction weather conditions. This allowed the early consruction segment particularly to have several months of better conditions allowing easier completion of building steel erection and exterior and concrete pours than would otherwise be the case. Take away those excellent years of construction weather and the pacing of this build would in all likelihood be far behind schedule.

For them to be only 2 weeks ahead of schedule when actual weather conditions were so favorable and allowed them to get much more done than could reasonably be expected means this build timeline was very highly paced. With zero room for delays, error, etc.

Finally, finish trade work often drags on and takes longer. Largely due to one trades work being predicated on another.

The key though is what defn of "finish" is contractually acceptable on this product. My take is the building will be able to open in regular season in October, but will still not be complete as far as everything being complete.

All that said PCL's construction of the arena has been admirable. This was a difficult, and unique project where a lot more could have gone wrong.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Have there been any updates on the jumo tron?

I understand its probably not going to be installed soon, but you have to think they know what they are looking at?

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
The only reason they were ever very minimally ahead of the construction timeline is two winters of construction and dry springs that were the best possible construction weather conditions. This allowed the early consruction segment particularly to have several months of better conditions allowing easier completion of building steel erection and exterior and concrete pours than would otherwise be the case. Take away those excellent years of construction weather and the pacing of this build would in all likelihood be far behind schedule.

For them to be only 2 weeks ahead of schedule when actual weather conditions were so favorable and allowed them to get much more done than could reasonably be expected means this build timeline was very highly paced. With zero room for delays, error, etc.

Finally, finish trade work often drags on and takes longer. Largely due to one trades work being predicated on another.

The key though is what defn of "finish" is contractually acceptable on this product. My take is the building will be able to open in regular season in October, but will still not be complete as far as everything being complete.

All that said PCL's construction of the arena has been admirable. This was a difficult, and unique project where a lot more could have gone wrong.

I don't think there will be an issue, especially in this economy. They can tack on a bunch of cheap laborers at the end of the job no problem.

Just like every single arena there will probably be one or two things like Wi-Fi or a couple of concourse areas that aren't 100% ready yet, but that is more than normal.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think there will be an issue, especially in this economy. They can tack on a bunch of cheap laborers at the end of the job no problem.

Just like every single arena there will probably be one or two things like Wi-Fi or a couple of concourse areas that aren't 100% ready yet, but that is more than normal.

Just an open question to the board but something I've been wondering about is why on Earth install the seating before any of the drywall taping mudding, sanding is done. That stuff gets everywhere (I Hate it) Even covered up the seats are going to be a bit of a mess after everything is done in the arena and will probably need steam cleaning. Most arena builds install the seating last as it is something that can be done very quickly with a big enough crew.

Think about it.

Who would move furniture in to a home before construction and drywalling is finished. :laugh:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Just an open question to the board but something I've been wondering about is why on Earth install the seating before any of the drywall taping mudding, sanding is done. That stuff gets everywhere (I Hate it) Even covered up the seats are going to be a bit of a mess after everything is done in the arena and will probably need steam cleaning. Most arena builds install the seating last as it is something that can be done very quickly with a big enough crew.

Think about it.

Who would move furniture in to a home before construction and drywalling is finished. :laugh:

I'm just guessing as I have no idea but looks like they want to work around the seating rather then vice versa. Maybe to make sure all seating is in without any sacrifices? You know how upset some ppl might get if they promised 'x' amount of Seats only to screw up? Haha beats me

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Walking up to school yesterday, the exterior looks different. They've definitely done something with it since last week. Looks very nice.

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Well I'm off to work - gotta drive under the Oil Drop on The Tin Palace. Of course as usual, I'll be shaking my head at the slackers hanging around in the shade with their smokes and cell-phones. Does anybody yell at these guys now and then to get back to work, or is that a no-no in today's construction world?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->