Rogers in talks to sell Monday night NHL game package in Canada to Amazon

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
It would be cool to see CBC back in the game, as I'm sure all of us here grew up to their stellar production and music library from back in the day.

They are still the Olympic network so I guess it could be done on a smaller scale.

Next deal something like Rogers/Amazon/ CBC with one game a week or something, Ron McLean eases his way into retirement

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
It really cannot be shaken out of my mind how utterly cooked the live sports market is in Canada. Rogers has effectively been out of the game since they grossly overpayed in 2012, and really, if it wasn't for them owning the Jays outright and providing not only free summer content, but also prints money for them, they'd be looking for a buyer there as well. Bell is the only one that even looks semi-interested, but often runs under the same media conglomerate come telecom whims as Rogers does. And the CBC has been effectively priced out, and if Poillevre has his way, will be defunded the second he gets power. Even if that wasn't the case, sports on CBC has become a skeleton crew.

At least American TV networks realize and are using the power of live sports to (barely) stem the tide of cord cutters. Canadian telcos straight up aren't bothering unless it either prints them money, or they own the entire thing outright.

gattaca

Jan 5, 2011
Mississauga
Officially gone to Amazon for next 2 seasons. No playoffs noted. Production details to come later. It's been estimated there is 8 million Amazon Prime subscribers in Canada which is about the same number of subscribers to TSN/SN.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

gattaca

Jan 5, 2011
Mississauga
It really cannot be shaken out of my mind how utterly cooked the live sports market is in Canada. Rogers has effectively been out of the game since they grossly overpayed in 2012, and really, if it wasn't for them owning the Jays outright and providing not only free summer content, but also prints money for them, they'd be looking for a buyer there as well. Bell is the only one that even looks semi-interested, but often runs under the same media conglomerate come telecom whims as Rogers does. And the CBC has been effectively priced out, and if Poillevre has his way, will be defunded the second he gets power. Even if that wasn't the case, sports on CBC has become a skeleton crew.

At least American TV networks realize and are using the power of live sports to (barely) stem the tide of cord cutters. Canadian telcos straight up aren't bothering unless it either prints them money, or they own the entire thing outright.

The difference in Canada is that same companies own the media networks and their distribution pipes. Given media accounts for less than 5% of Bell/Rogers business, it's in their best interest to protect their distribution business rather than their content. And once paid linear tv penetration drops below 20%, they won't care about either.

There isn't enough viewers now to support funding non-tier 1 Canadian sports properties anymore. The main demo left is also over 55 which is of less interest to advertisers.

They can get about the same number of viewers and at least break-even showing repeats and repacked highlight shows which account for about 50% of their programming. For live games, for $0 marginal costs, they have a huge inventory of MLB, NBA/WNBA & American NHL games that can be shown. TSN can also get endless discounted programming via their minority owner ESPN.

Non-tier 1 Canadian sports properties are still on TSN because they're getting $0 for rights and paying for production. Only Canada Soccer/CPL has been able to get a streaming platform to pay for their rights.

Reactions: Voight

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I just wish Amazon could take over all the games from Rogers.

Sportsnet's app is horrid with subpar streaming quality. Terrible interface. Unreliable.

While the production of games on Sportsnet is horrible too. They spend more time talking about gambling and women's hockey than any NHL team that isn't the Leafs. They've hired people who shouldn't be on the air like Sam Costentino and other jabronis whose names I can't be bothered to remember. Ron MacLean should have been gone a decade ago.

The more I spend on a sports streaming app, the worse its reliability seems to be.

Random seven dollar/month soccer or volleyball app? Perfect - good quality even with bad internet.

Massive TSN subscription for like 20 bucks a month - Terrible quality, bugs all over the place, need amazing internet to get a good quality.

I'm convinced TSN and SN purposefully make their streaming platforms bad to encourage people to buy satellite.

Last edited:

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
The more I spend on a sports streaming app, the worse it's reliability seems to be.

Random seven dollar/month soccer or volleyball app? Perfect - good quality even with bad internet.

Massive TSN subscription for like 20 bucks a month - Terrible quality, bugs all over the place, need amazing internet to get a good quality.

I'm convinced TSN and SN purposefully make their streaming platforms bad to encourage people to buy satellite.
The streaming only companies seem to have a reliable app and doesn't have much other issues. Netflix, Apple and Amazon are the only ones i felt don't crash on me or have other issues.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Officially gone to Amazon for next 2 seasons. No playoffs noted. Production details to come later. It's been estimated there is 8 million Amazon Prime subscribers in Canada which is about the same number of subscribers to TSN/SN.

Its more then that, according to emarketer an estimated 48% of Canadian households have a prime membership and 14M watch prime video. Prime membership is actually at the same reach as the total TV households here in Canada as well

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So I live in Edmonton, am a Winnipeg fan.

This year if I want to watch every Oilers game I just need to make sure I have a subscription to Sportsnet. Simple enough

If I want to watch every Jets game I have to make sure I have something like the Centre Ice package, PLUS Sportsnet for when the Jets play Calgary or Edmonton.

Next year though - I have to have Centre Ice, plus Sportsnet, plus Amazon Prime - if I want to see all 82 games.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Its more then that, according to emarketer an estimated 48% of Canadian households have a prime membership and 14M watch prime video. Prime membership is actually at the same reach as the total TV households here in Canada as well
I found this number surprising. With that said, I may have to join next September if SN doesn't show games on Monday nights, I'm currently a Tidal subscriber for music, luckily Amazon Music also has lossless streaming service so a move to Amazon should be a painless experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad