Rogers Arena Bar/upgrades

kes20

Nov 6, 2006
Vancouver
The sports bar was expected to be completed prior to the start of the season. With pre-season a few weeks away, does anyone know if this will be opening soon? They haven't announced anything about it since last year. With Shark Club shutting down, this will be a busy place before and after games. Hopefully it is similar to Real Sports in Toronto as Vancouver needs a large downtown sports bar.

The new standing room section should add some energy to the building and the expanded concourses/additional washrooms will be nice.

One thing though, now that there will be towers connected to Rogers Arena, does that mean the stadium will be here for the next 75-100 years? It is already almost 20 years old and most stadiums are replaced every 30-40 years. I know they can always renovate/upgrade but I'm sure at some point it will become outdated.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
The sports bar was expected to be completed prior to the start of the season. With pre-season a few weeks away, does anyone know if this will be opening soon? They haven't announced anything about it since last year. With Shark Club shutting down, this will be a busy place before and after games. Hopefully it is similar to Real Sports in Toronto as Vancouver needs a large downtown sports bar.

The new standing room section should add some energy to the building and the expanded concourses/additional washrooms will be nice.

One thing though, now that there will be towers connected to Rogers Arena, does that mean the stadium will be here for the next 75-100 years? It is already almost 20 years old and most stadiums are replaced every 30-40 years. I know they can always renovate/upgrade but I'm sure at some point it will become outdated.

Don't know about the bar... but in terms of the stadium, it is one of the nicest best kept 20 yr old stadiums you'll see. Walking around the concourses still feels modern and new. That building in all likelihood, based on it location will be there for decades with the concourses and kitchens getting upgraded here and there when needed to keep it with the times.

The significant thing the newer stadiums have that Rogers doesn't seem to have is loge seating...

I don't know... is there anyone here that has a problem with an aspect of Rogers Arena to the point they think it'll be replaced anytime soon?

For its location alone.. I can't fathom the Canucks moving anywhere else... and nor can i see the possibility with the towers now surrounding it of it ever being torn down and rebuilt... I think we'll simply see upgrades and renos for the next 50+ yrs (or 100 like you said) on what we have now..

Just comes down to how well it was built and whether it'll remain solid for another 100 yrs...
I'm no expert on that.

Last edited:

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Yea I have to agree with DL$$, It certainly doesn't feel like it's 20 years old. It feels maybe 5-10 years. At most. I didn't know about a bar being added though.

kes20

Nov 6, 2006
Vancouver
From: http://rogersarena.com/plan-your-visit/construction-updates

The fourth floor is being prepared for development in the future as an action-packed and unique sports bar, unlike any other in Vancouver. It will boast modern AV technology, a DJ mixing tracks, large screens for watching the game and plenty of additional TVs so you don’t miss a moment of action, all surrounding the longest bar in Vancouver. This cutting-edge restaurant will feature loge viewing seats into the bowl to keep you right in the midst of the action. For a more intimate feel exclusive VIP loge boxes will be available, complete with food and beverage service in a private dining area, luxury seats and personal TVs. Once completed, fans will be able to take advantage of the new restaurant on more than just game day, as this space will be open daily to the public.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

The fourth floor is being prepared for development in the future as an action-packed and unique sports bar, unlike any other in Vancouver. It will boast modern AV technology, a DJ mixing tracks, large screens for watching the game and plenty of additional TVs so you don’t miss a moment of action, all surrounding the longest bar in Vancouver. This cutting-edge restaurant will feature loge viewing seats into the bowl to keep you right in the midst of the action. For a more intimate feel exclusive VIP loge boxes will be available, complete with food and beverage service in a private dining area, luxury seats and personal TVs. Once completed, fans will be able to take advantage of the new restaurant on more than just game day, as this space will be open daily to the public.

Vigneault left behind Technology?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Don't know about the bar... but in terms of the stadium, it is one of the nicest best kept 20 yr old stadiums you'll see. Walking around the concourses still feels modern and new. That building in all likelihood, based on it location will be there for decades with the concourses and kitchens getting upgraded here and there when needed to keep it with the times.

The significant thing the newer stadiums have that Rogers doesn't seem to have is loge seating...

I don't know... is there anyone here that has a problem with an aspect of Rogers Arena to the point they think it'll be replaced anytime soon?

For its location alone.. I can't fathom the Canucks moving anywhere else... and nor can i see the possibility with the towers now surrounding it of it ever being torn down and rebuilt... I think we'll simply see upgrades and renos for the next 50+ yrs (or 100 like you said) on what we have now..

Just comes down to how well it was built and whether it'll remain solid for another 100 yrs...
I'm no expert on that.

At least the roof doesn't leak.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
The only improvement they need to have is cheaper beer. I half spilled a beer going to my seat. Its like dropping a pair of toonies out of your pocket and not picking it up.

The last 2 seasons I skipped beer completely, I can't justify spending 60 bucks on beer just to get a decent buzz going.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Rogers Arena is a modern building. They may want to reconfigure seating or the concourse as trends change but the basic structure will not become outdated and need to be torn down like the arenas that were built 40+ years ago.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013

The days of building new arena's every 30-40 years are long gone. Any modern arena built around the time Rogers Arena was built should last at least 80 to 100 years. The cost to rebuild an arena is so significant that the only way it can ever be justified is either due to:

1) Ability to add more capacity to pay for it, with guaranteed sellouts
or
2) Because the building is crumbling to pieces and is unsafe

Rogers Arena was built to basically max capacity without severely affecting sightlines. Air Canada Centre (Toronto Maple Leafs) is the same size.

Montreal Canadiens went bigger with the Bell Centre at 21,000 people, and the sightlines are not good at all, and their arena sucks. Also, there was no room between the viaducts to build that big of an arena.

Bottom line, Rogers Arena = insanely awesome arena and we are damn lucky to have it. We will never have another arena with as good of sightlines as it, because any future arena will likely be built bigger and outwards more (outside of downtown core), and therefore will not be as intimate as Rogers Arena. Also, don't forget, Rogers Arena now has a huge history associated with it. It is a famous arena in Canada. It's where Sidney Crosby scored the game winning goal for the gold in overtime!

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011

Sure as hell better not be DJ Dave.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2