News Article: Roger Millions Retiring from Sportsnet

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Sportsnet's Roger Millions retires after 39-year career - Sportsnet.ca

Sportsnet’s Roger Millions has announced his retirement following a 39-year career in the sports broadcasting industry. Millions joined Sportsnet in 2002 and would call and cover regional Calgary Flames games for over 15 years.

But, as passionate as I am about sports, I am equally as passionate about my home province of Alberta and its politics. I want to have a voice in this community and make a difference for the hard-working people in this province. With my life and my time now set to be in one place, this is what I plan to do. With that, I want to thank everyone I’ve worked with very much for so many special memories created over many years, and I look forward to starting this next chapter.

Apparently he will be running for the UCP seat in Airdrie.

Anyways, discuss. Who do we hope takes his place this season?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Corksucker!

His Twitter is more or less just Political stuff now, and has been for a good 6-8 months. He wasn't particularly good, so his loss is nothing on my TV. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Reactions: Lazar Beams

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Congrats to Roger and I hope he does well with the new direction he's chosen.

Anyways, discuss. Who do we hope takes his place this season?

There is only one acceptable answer for this.

cut.jpg

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Congrats to Roger and I hope he does well with the new direction he's chosen.

There is only one acceptable answer for this.

cut.jpg
Harnaryan would be a great choice. I wonder if Ryan Leslie is the go-to though for now since he split duties with Millions this past year. Maybe in a few years though, Harnaryan would get the call.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ryan Leslie is pretty clearly the guy. Harnarayan Singh is still a national broadcaster, isn't he? I doubt he would make the move to regional given he does the Punjabi broadcasts for the whole country.

Thndrstruck

Sep 3, 2011
Calgary
Ryan Leslie is a great choice, but he works for the Flames and only filled in on road games, he has to cover in house stuff during home games. Would have to quit to join Sportsnet, which he just might do!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Was not a fan of Millions. He was brutal as an insider, had no credibility at all. I also will never forget the way he handled the Cammy situation prior to him being dealt, and Cammy called him for it as well.

Anyways I’m sure he’s a fine person in real life so I wish him luck. I just was not a fan of his as a broadcaster.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Ryan Leslie is pretty clearly the guy. Harnarayan Singh is still a national broadcaster, isn't he? I doubt he would make the move to regional given he does the Punjabi broadcasts for the whole country.

Yeah, that's a very good point, but aren't the Punjabi/national broadcasts just on HNIC? He could split his time doing both the regional stuff during the week and national stuff on Saturdays, like Hrudey does with the commentary and panel stuff. Anyways, that's just wishful thinking from me cause I really like Harnarayan.

I do like Leslie though, but as Thndrstruck said, he works for the Flames.

Who else is there? Cassie? It would bit a bit of a step down for Kerr and Peter Lou.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'll best remember him for that fateful year they got him to do the PBP. Man was he bad at it. Did however use such timeless phrases as :

"There's a malfunction at the junction around the Calgary net" - describing a run of the mill scrum

"Huselius floats a warm buttered biscuit over to Glencross" - describing a pass with not a lot of zip

"Looked like Willie Mitchell just gave Iginla a cob of corn!" - describing ... ???

Probably the cringiest broadcaster to work with the Flames, which is really saying something considering he's up against the likes of Jon Garrett, Rob Kerr, Charlie Simmer, Peter Loubardias, and Kelly Hrudey :laugh:

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I love Harnarayan but the guy is too awkward to be the new Millions. I remember the interviews where it seemed like he was going to ask another question but then would just say his concluding comment, leaving the player just awkwardly standing behind him on camera :laugh:

Ryan Leslie is excellent though. I think he gets the job

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'll best remember him for that fateful year they got him to do the PBP. Man was he bad at it. Did however use such timeless phrases as :

"There's a malfunction at the junction around the Calgary net" - describing a run of the mill scrum
This does not belong with the others, he was paying homage to the late, great Ed Whalen

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
I've told this story before on here, but I'll tell it again because it still makes me smile. I will always remember the time I was behind him in line at the liquor store and paid and he grabbed his stuff off the counter, paused for a second and said, "Thank you.... and have a good night". Like he was signing off on a broadcast. The guy behind the till and I looked at each other and he gave me a wide eyed "can you believe this f***ing guy?" look. Then I just burst out laughing before he even got to the front door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad