Roenick on 6pm Sportscenter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
I dont really think that helped JR clarify much. To me, he just came across as whining. What did he want, sportscenter to play the whole 14 minute press conference? :biglaugh: Bottom line is, you cant take what he said in any other context than how it was said.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
Slapshot17 said:
Dan Patrick kept trying to compare this to the MLB lockout back in the day. But that's like trying to compare apples with oranges.

I thought he made it clear that he was comparing athletes. (Except for the example about fans coming back)

swflyers8*

Him and Dan Patrick were going back and forth. Fun interview to watch. He basically says the same things he said on Comcast. He said basically he had a 14 minute conversation that was all about the fans and then a stupid reporter asked him what do you think about some fans saying you are spoiled and blah blah. That ESPN just showed what they know would make headlines. JR admitted he could have picked better language to use but he's a passionate guy. Also reiterated that he isn't talking about hockey fans, just the other reporters or other sports fans that shoot their mouths off when they have no clue what they are talking about. Really made Patrick look like a schmo

vopatsrash

Dec 9, 2004
awkward.

that argument (wasn't really an interview) was really just two guys marking their territory.

JR didn't back down from his comments, so he held up on that level, but came across as a little naive about ESPN accenting the negative. Apparently, he's never seen ESPN before because espn can take a relatively meaningless thing and turn it into a national phenomenon. He should ask Terrell Owens and Allen Iverson in his own town. I understand his point, but he has to understand that he pretty much can't say anything like he said in the current nhl atmosphere, whether he's right or wrong.

DP didn't throw softballs and went after JR like he felt he should, but was perhaps a little too sensitive about criticism of espn/the media, as always. did bring up a good point of "what was newsworthy about anything else from his news conference besides the part where he told some people to kiss his ass?" the rest of the golf pc was just the happy talk and rhetoric that we'll hear non-stop in the next couple of months, even if JR really meant it. Putting a soundbite of JR saying they need to be more fan-friendly has about as much impact as a soundbite of him saying that 1 + 1 = 2.

Basically, just two guys not really understanding the other's point of view and going around in circles. pretty much a pointless segment, that was entertaining in its intensity.

PredFred

Jun 26, 2005
Over Yonder
HungryforHockey25 said:
Really made Patrick look like a schmo

9 times out of 10, Patrick is a schmo...but he gets an entertaining interview. Kinda felt to me like he was trying to back JR into a corner to get him to say something stupid again.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Personally, I don't think stiring up a little controversy is such a bad thing. The NHL is back in the public eye because of those comments. Both the NHL and ESPN will get more attention because of the coments. I doubt many of us here or any where else were offended enough to not watch hockey again.

It's certainly much more entertaining than hearing every player say essentially the same thing: "They have a good team...", "We didn't play our game...", basically anything to avoid stiring up controversy. How can anyone get excited about that?

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
vopatsrash said:
awkward.

that argument (wasn't really an interview) was really just two guys marking their territory.

JR didn't back down from his comments, so he held up on that level, but came across as a little naive about ESPN accenting the negative. Apparently, he's never seen ESPN before because espn can take a relatively meaningless thing and turn it into a national phenomenon. He should ask Terrell Owens and Allen Iverson in his own town. I understand his point, but he has to understand that he pretty much can't say anything like he said in the current nhl atmosphere, whether he's right or wrong.

DP didn't throw softballs and went after JR like he felt he should, but was perhaps a little too sensitive about criticism of espn/the media, as always. did bring up a good point of "what was newsworthy about anything else from his news conference besides the part where he told some people to kiss his ass?" the rest of the golf pc was just the happy talk and rhetoric that we'll hear non-stop in the next couple of months, even if JR really meant it. Putting a soundbite of JR saying they need to be more fan-friendly has about as much impact as a soundbite of him saying that 1 + 1 = 2.

Basically, just two guys not really understanding the other's point of view and going around in circles. pretty much a pointless segment, that was entertaining in its intensity.
Pretty good summary.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Sicilian said:
well, you know what they say... publicity is publicity, good or bad.
Well, the interview was 12-15 minutes long, which is pretty rare for a live Sportscenter interview.

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
How can anybody say that all this is bad for hockey?

JR making the rounds on virtually every major sports outlet in North America....people around the water cooler talking about hockey again....somebody with absolute passion for the game, and arguably the best known American hockey player to the American casual sports fan, on a 14 minute LIVE segment on ESPN Sportscenter when the only comment for over a year on these same outlets has been "who the hell cares about hockey"....

Gold, I say Jerry....GOLD.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
I will be entering the wach with a sign that reads "JR is my Hero, I am here because of him" in septemeber for the first Flyers home game. He is the only player in the world right now even keeping espn talking about the NHL lockout. A 15 minute segment on him and the NHL less then an hour before the NBA draft started on the same network, now thats golden. It almost is like the NHL set JR out to bring the topic back up just so people will listen when they announce the lockout is over "within the next two weeks". Although I have met JR in person before he may have just freaked out himself. Everything he was saying is true though, every game I go to he always is flicking pucks into the crowd during warmups(instead of warming up) and making a connection with the fans. I am proud to say he is a Flyer.

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
Epsilon said:
There's nothing I like more than seeing whiny fans have their vaginal cavities filled with sand over something another person says.

:biglaugh: SO true! There's this one ****** bag over on one of the Leafs boards who gets SO bent out of shape at nearly anything Roenick says or does that if I didn't know better, I'd swear JR was banging his wife!

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
they just showed a preview of the interview with roenick that they are about to air on the score... JR was imitating tom cruise jumping up and down on his seat saying "i love the fans!"

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
handtrick said:
How can anybody say that all this is bad for hockey?

JR making the rounds on virtually every major sports outlet in North America....people around the water cooler talking about hockey again....somebody with absolute passion for the game, and arguably the best known American hockey player to the American casual sports fan, on a 14 minute LIVE segment on ESPN Sportscenter when the only comment for over a year on these same outlets has been "who the hell cares about hockey"....

Gold, I say Jerry....GOLD.

Agreed.

It's too bad though that JR didn't tell Patrick to kiss his ass.....

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
bcrt2000 said:
they just showed a preview of the interview with roenick that they are about to air on the score... JR was imitating tom cruise jumping up and down on his seat saying "i love the fans!"

I wish I could see that!! If there is a link somewhere please let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad