Roenick / Modano / Hull vs. Kane / Matthews / Eichel (read OP)

Which trio will be the best when all is said and done?

• Total voters

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
I voted for the older guys because a part from kane the other 2 kids are too soon in there careers, i could see Mathews becoming top 3 american player to suit up in the nhl.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Can we get a "Too soon to tell" option? The potential is there but anything can happen over 15 or so years, injuries etc. I'm a huge Matthews fan but he and Eichel got a long way to go. Kane the proof is already there he has for sure proven himself in the tier of Roenick/Modano/Hull.

Pretty well sums it all up. The best American center/forward should have easily been Pat Lafontaine but injuries prevented that from happening. We simply don't know what the future will be for any player. Modano, Hull and yes even Roenick were all among the best of their era and all 500+ goal scores for their respective careers. The "youngsters" have a ways to go before being as accomplished as the old trio.

Reactions: Fixxer

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Brett Hull won a Hart and is one of the greatest goal scorers of all time. Kane vs Hull is still a debate. It's going to be very tough for either to pass him. It might be easier to pass Modano.

Brett Hull was as one dimensional as they get but when that One dimension puts you in the category of one of the greatest goal scorers of all time then it’s pretty special. I find it funny how Mike Bossy is universally and rightfully respected but somehow it seems Brett Hull is looked at in a lesser light? Maybe it’s because his dad was a legend or he had the rep of being laid back?

Brett was an absolutely phenomenal goal scorer. Being compared to Brett Hull is a huge compliment full stop.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I had to vote the oldies because Matthews was a weak link. Hard to go against Kane, though.
Your Leaf harassments skills are special but your agenda is sad. Why the Mods ignore you is quite a puzzle.

If the weak link is the best goal scorer since Ovechkin you need to question your sanity or the extremely unhealthy hatred that got you here.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Brett Hull was as one dimensional as they get but when that One dimension puts you in the category of one of the greatest goal scorers of all time then it’s pretty special. I find it funny how Mike Bossy is universally and rightfully respected but somehow it seems Brett Hull is looked at in a lesser light? Maybe it’s because his dad was a legend or he had the rep of being laid back?

Brett was an absolutely phenomenal goal scorer. Being compared to Brett Hull is a huge compliment full stop.

mm pure goal scorers are hard to come by. Never really liked Hull personally for the reason you mentioned but he sure as he’ll was valuable for the the teams he represented.

Reactions: ps241

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Hull is in another category right now, but I think Matthews, Eichel, and Kane will all be viewed as better than Roenick and Modano post career.

Reactions: bobholly39

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
When all said and done

Kane
Matthews
Eichel
Hull
Modano
Roenick

Hull is absolutely no questions asked #1 on this list. His peak, career and even playoffs are tremendous.

Kane looks great so far, great in the playoffs, great peak. I think he could pass Brett Hull - but it's not for certain, and he certainly hasn't yet.
Matthews and Eichel both are supremely talented. Depending on how their career arcs go - either player could end up being the best american player of all-time. So much talent/potential. But that's also an incredibly high bar, and it's much more likely that both players have great careers but don't reach that high.

So - it's possible that all 3 surpass Hull, but I think you're being extremely optimistic with that view. Here's my prediction on how things end up:

Brett Hull
Kane
Matthews
Modano
Eichel
Roenick

I voted the older trio based on me valuing Hull a lot. I actually think very highly of Matthews and Eichel too and could see them be 1-2, but i don't want to get too crazy with expectations. I think this is more realistic.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hull is in another category right now, but I think Matthews, Eichel, and Kane will all be viewed as better than Roenick and Modano post career.

I agree - I would just use caution with Modano. Great career, great playoffs, great longevity/staying power. Eichel/Matthews are both talented enough to surpass him, but it's no guarantee, as it's a high bar.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
IMO, taking the young ones.

Kane is the best american forward all-time.

Not sure about Eichel, but I expect Matthews to join Kane, and be the best 2 out of the 6.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
RMH and it’s not even close. These guys played during the era when hockey was its most physical. I’d like to see how good Kane and the boys would be playing in that era. Not as good IMO.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Kind of killed the older guy's fate when you threw Roenick in there. Now if you would swap him out with Jagr they would be winning by a landslide.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Kind of killed the older guy's fate when you threw Roenick in there. Now if you would swap him out with Jagr they would be winning by a landslide.
Not American maybe? I mean, if you threw McDavid on the younger guy's list, they'd be winning in a landslide. sooooo...

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
This part doesn't compute for me. I don't see that watching him and the stats certainly don't say it.

Matthews has the 2nd highest G/GP over the last 3 seasons in the NHL.

Also, the people who never got to see Roenick play definitely missed out.
He was great.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
without considering injuries... that's what I think it will look like when everything is said and done... so the younger group

1. Hull =< 1a. Matthews
2. Modano < 1b. Eichel
3. Roenick < 1c. Kane

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
My man Mike Modano getting some real shade up in here.

I picked the old guys but Roenick really is the weak link in the poll. I am not sold Matthews or Eichel will pass Modano or Hull.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I think the younger group has a good chance of surpassing the older guys, but Matthews and Eichel still have a ways to go. Right now, Roenick and Modano are still more accomplished than their younger counterparts at center.

Kane and Hull is a bit tougher. I rank Kane higher among his peers because he has won a scoring title and he has been very clutch in the playoffs. But, then Hull's 700+ goals looms very large here and still keeps him ahead for now. I do expect Kane to pass him when all is said and done.

The oldies for now, but if the young'uns play out decent careers, they should top them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad