Confirmed with Link: Rocky Thompson promoted to Assistant Coach

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
72004674.jpg

Yep, I bet there's singing in this guys locker room. Give me a ****ing break. I'm just sick of the "lighten the mood" coaches. I want someone who's going to rip them apart instead of give them an easy practice like Renney and Krueger did. No signing, or embarrassing garbage like that.

:shakehead

Bottom line is that you have no ****ing clue of what goes on in the locker rooms. Do we really need to keep making up "evidence" as an excuse to spew negativity? :shakehead

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Bottom line is that you have no ****ing clue of what goes on in the locker rooms. Do we really need to keep making up "evidence" as an excuse to spew negativity? :shakehead

Whatever. I seriously doubt coaches in the NHL sing to their players. I know if I was in a locker room being sung lineup notes I'd feel extremely awkward.

I wasn't being negative until a couple smart ass comments.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Whatever. I seriously doubt coaches in the NHL sing to their players. I know if I was in a locker room being sung lineup notes I'd feel extremely awkward.

I wasn't being negative until a couple smart ass comments.

That's more on the player than the coach. If it was me, I'd only feel awkward if I didn't know the fellow singing to me. Seems like he has a good rapport with the players, I doubt it had a negative effect on the team. If anything they probably had a chuckle and then played some hockey.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
This is just an awesome signing. I can't think of a better way to develop RNH, Hall, Nurse, LD et al than by the awesome duo of Eakins and Thompson.

My bad, I forgot about Connor McDavid.

awesomo

Sep 12, 2007
location, location
lol you know you've been running out of things to complain about when someone is caught on camera singing in the dressing room.

How often does he sing? Once, twice, every game?

Can't wait for the season when you guys blame the oilers loss on the assistant coach that is in the box coming down to sing. :scared: LOL

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
72004674.jpg

Yep, I bet there's singing in this guys locker room. Give me a ****ing break. I'm just sick of the "lighten the mood" coaches. I want someone who's going to rip them apart instead of give them an easy practice like Renney and Krueger did. No signing, or embarrassing garbage like that.

:shakehead

Don't let his gruff exterior fool you.....the man has a heart of gold.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Good signing.
Singing in the locker room is lame.

I think that's unfair man.
Despite the talent, the AHL is still a developmental league. The Barons have the resources to provide the best training possible; vocal coaches, choreographers, fashion advisors, etc. The only tapes we've seen from Rocky are from 2012, he could be the next gem to come through the Oilers system, maybe even the songbird of our generation.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Despite the talent, the AHL is still a developmental league. The Barons have the resources to provide the best training possible; vocal coaches, choreographers, fashion advisors, etc. The only tapes we've seen from Rocky are from 2012, he could be the next gem to come through the Oilers system, maybe even the songbird of our generation.

Maybe he could take over singing the national anthem. We definitely need to get a new singer, it hasn't been the same since the great Paul Lorieau passed away.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Maybe we see him on The Voice soon.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Good signing.
Singing in the locker room is lame.

Yeah. It's lame to enjoy yourself and have a bit of fun in life. TryIng to act cool and taking yourself way to seriously is the only way to live.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Maybe he could take over singing the national anthem. We definitely need to get a new singer, it hasn't been the same since the great Paul Lorieau passed away.

Here, Here. It'll be years before anyone else will seem like they belong singing that anthem.

Maybe we see him on The Voice soon.

What like some kind of amateur?

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
seems like the type of guy Eakins would like. Old school, fighter, energy guy. Canadian. Borderline NHL/AHLer.

IDK. seems like Buchberger II.

Not gonna diss the hiring before it even gets going. Not gonna declare it the hiring the makes the difference, either.

Perry Pearn was looking for a job. Did he even get considered? I doubt it.

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
seems like the type of guy Eakins would like. Old school, fighter, energy guy. Canadian. Borderline NHL/AHLer.

Not gonna diss the hiring before it even gets going. Not gonna declare it the hiring the makes the difference, either.

Perry Pearn was looking for a job. Did he even get considered? I doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Can he sing? :sarcasm:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

They hired their experienced coach in Ramsay, they weren't looking for another veteran guy, they were pretty clear about that. It looks like they wanted to fill an entry level type position.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
It's been mentioned already, but Bucky was no enforcer.

Thompson was a player in 06/07. The following year the Oilers hired him as an assistant coach for the Oil Kings. After a couple of years, he was promoted to an AHL coaching job with the Barons. 100% of his coaching history has come on Oiler owned/operated teams. Did Pleau, Nelson, and Eakins all determine he was the best candidate for their staff independently? Maybe, but it's an awfully familiar refrain.

Pleau was his head coach in Peoria in his second-last year as a player. They had a great relationship as player-coach and that's how Rocky ended up with the Oil Kings as an assistant after Pleau got the head coaching job.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

He's going to be the eye in the sky, so his Barons experience with that was most likely a large part of why he was hired.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
I don't know anything about his approach or system, but he has a history of tracking the game from the stands and advising of adjustments to make on the fly. This is a useful skill to have, and it's good to have a guy with pro experiencedoing it. Heck, we watched a lot of games from the bench as a player, so I guess he's used to being observant.

I could give a s**t if he dances naked in the locker room for quarters if he helps this team stay competitive late in games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad