Signing(s): Rockies sign Arenado to monster contract

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Good for both sides.

After seeing what happened to Machado/Harper this off season, smart move by Arenado to lock himself in to a guaranteed deal. Huge $$ of course, plus if the Rockies suck or salaries go even higher he can opt out at 30 and secure another big contract + join a better team.

Rockies are able to keep their franchise player and continue building. Arenado is underrated IMO and its huge for them to have kept him and Blackmon around.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'd take Arenado over Machado and especially Harper so this is a steal compared to what Machago got and what Harper will get. He doesn't get as much talk because of where he plays and how he goes about his business.

Reactions: Voight

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Let's talk about more important news.

Nightengale was 1st with this and was correct for once.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Good for the Rockies.. and kudos to Arenado for not chasing the lime lights of elsewhere.

Colorado is beautiful, I'd love to work and live there.

I think a lot of had to do with how free agency went the last 2 years, especially this year. Machado and Harper are right around his age and I think he realized that there just isn't much of a market/bidding war for long term, big money contracts. With his extension he gets more than a quarter of a billion dollars, job security plus still has na opt out if he wants to play elsewhere.

I'd take Arenado over Machado and especially Harper so this is a steal compared to what Machago got and what Harper will get. He doesn't get as much talk because of where he plays and how he goes about his business.

Criminally underrated. Top 10 player but when do we hear about him? Imagine if he played for Boston, LA or NY.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Good all around player. Hopefully he ages like Beltre. I always like it when teams keep their stars. Rockies need to make the most of their cheap homegrown staff.

quesosauce

Feb 5, 2008
Denver
really glad my team got to keep the best player they have ever had in their franchise history, little worried about the opt-out, but its gives us a window to prove that we can stay competitive in order to keep him

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Good for both sides.

After seeing what happened to Machado/Harper this off season, smart move by Arenado to lock himself in to a guaranteed deal. Huge $$ of course, plus if the Rockies suck or salaries go even higher he can opt out at 30 and secure another big contract + join a better team.

Rockies are able to keep their franchise player and continue building. Arenado is underrated IMO and its huge for them to have kept him and Blackmon around.

Exactly.

I expect more and more players to do this instead of testing the market.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Love this for Colorado and for Arenado. After Trout and Altuve, Arenado might be my favourite player in the league.

Exactly the type of player that deserves this kind of contract. It's not that these top players aren't going to get paid, it's that teams just aren't going to get into bidding wars (sometimes with just themselves) in order to make guys like Boras or Harper happy.

When you go in with the mindset of 'I want the biggest contract in sports history' regardless of if your talent level is on par with that teams are just gonna be like "No. F off."

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Love this for Colorado and for Arenado.

After Trout and Altuve, Arenado might be my favourite player int he league.
After Trout and Altuve, he is maybe my favourite player in the league. He does it all.

After Trout and Altuve, Arenado might be my favourite player int he league.
Exactly the type of player that deserves this kind of contract. It's not that these top players aren't going to get paid, it's that teams just aren't going to get into bidding wars (sometimes with just themselves) in order to make guys like Boras or Harper happy.

When you go in with the mindset of 'I want the biggest contract in sports history' regardless of if your talent level is on par with that teams are just gonna be like "No. F off."

Is this a poem? Or a soccer-type chant?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4