Rockets owner hasn’t given up on dream of Houston NHL team (mod: Houston thread)

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
We do have David Bonderman a minority owner of the Boston Celtics as one of our NHL majority owners.
The current ownership of Seattle NHL could make a good case for an expansion team or relocated team to move there and how it could be successful more than anyone else could in the past using the nhl as a example.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The current ownership of Seattle NHL could make a good case for an expansion team or relocated team to move there and how it could be successful more than anyone else could in the past using the nhl as a example.
and that's where the situation is regarding a Sonics return, Centrum..... expansion though isn't happening in the NBA even with Bonderman's involvement

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Rest assured if the NHL hadn't been able to find people willing to own the Coyotes in Arizona they would have moved them by now.

The Kings are on their third arena since moving to Sacramento in 1985. Had the city not put up nearly half the funds needed to build that third arena they could have very well ended up with Chris Hansen in Seattle.
David Stern interfered with the Sacramento kings sale to Ballmer/Hansen And gave the city multiple chances to find an ownership group and come up with an arena plan. I don't think moving the coyotes to Houston does anything for the league's TV deal or growth in the us its basically sacrificing a large media market for another one. The NHL would be in better shape with Houston, Atlanta and the Phoenix AZ area all having teams.

Reactions: oknazevad

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
David Stern interfered with the Sacramento kings sale to Ballmer/Hansen And gave the city multiple chances to find an ownership group and come up with an arena plan. I don't think moving the coyotes to Houston does anything for the league TV deal or growth in the us its basically trading sacrificing a large media market for another one. The NHL would be in better shape with Houston Atlanta and the Phoenix AZ area all having teams.
nope.....

Sacramento had nothing to do with that, and it got rectified when their new ownership took over, btw, where did Hansen go, Centrum..... there's no 2nd arena in Seattle since it was finally revealed to remodel Seattle Center, which is why NHL Seattle is not active until next year

Ballmer got his team in LA when the whole sidebar over Donald Sterling blew up....

Atlanta's not happening.... all the arenas are now in Cobb County, aka Gwinnett, and the Hawks have taken State Farm Arena out of the equation once the Thrashers were transferred to Winnipeg, even the Dream are leaving Fulton County since the lease expired for them

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
David Stern interfered with the Sacramento kings sale to Ballmer/Hansen And gave the city multiple chances to find an ownership group and come up with an arena plan. I don't think moving the coyotes to Houston does anything for the league's TV deal or growth in the us its basically sacrificing a large media market for another one. The NHL would be in better shape with Houston, Atlanta and the Phoenix AZ area all having teams.

Atlanta lost a NHL team twice. There is no way it'll work there unless there was a separate building just for the hockey given the reasons why the thrashers left there.

Tee issue with with the coyotes is they need a new arena. I don't see them staying there permanently in the Phoenix market unless a new arena happens. While ideally it would be best the franchise finds a new home in the market but at some point something really needs to happen to that franchise if a new building can't happen. The league is on record several times saying glendale won't work long term.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
and that's where the situation is regarding a Sonics return, Centrum..... expansion though isn't happening in the NBA even with Bonderman's involvement

Seattle getting a team via relocation or expansion isn't happening until the NBA says its happening. That's always been the official stance by the league. Even the NHL denied both the 2015 and 2017/18 expansion process until it happned. Bettman was on record denying the thrashers relocating to Winnipeg for months when its basically already a done thing.

nope.....

Sacramento had nothing to do with that, and it got rectified when their new ownership took over, btw, where did Hansen go, Centrum..... there's no 2nd arena in Seattle since it was finally revealed to remodel Seattle Center, which is why NHL Seattle is not active until next year

Ballmer got his team in LA when the whole sidebar over Donald Sterling blew up....

Atlanta's not happening.... all the arenas are now in Cobb County, aka Gwinnett, and the Hawks have taken State Farm Arena out of the equation once the Thrashers were transferred to Winnipeg, even the Dream are leaving Fulton County since the lease expired for them

FYI Seattle's new arena isn't a remodel its basically a brand new building under the same roof. There is nothing left infrastructure wise.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Seattle getting a team via relocation or expansion isn't happening until the NBA says its happening. That's always been the official stance by the league. Even the NHL denied both the 2015 and 2017/18 expansion process until it happned. Bettman was on record denying the thrashers relocating to Winnipeg for months when its basically already a done thing.
I agree, tommy... expansion simply isn't what Bonderman probably wants....and then do they go with Sonics and can that be acquired the way Charlotte acquired the Hornets moniker from New Orleans

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I agree, tommy... expansion simply isn't what Bonderman probably wants....and then do they go with Sonics and can that be acquired the way Charlotte acquired the Hornets moniker from New Orleans
The Thunder still have the trademark
Screenshot (9).png

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Atlanta lost a NHL team twice. There is no way it'll work there unless there was a separate building just for the hockey given the reasons why the thrashers left there.

Tee issue with with the coyotes is they need a new arena. I don't see them staying there permanently in the Phoenix market unless a new arena happens. While ideally it would be best the franchise finds a new home in the market but at some point something really needs to happen to that franchise if a new building can't happen. The league is on record several times saying glendale won't work long term.
Glendale is it, tommy.... I doubt you'll see Phoenix ever try again for the Coyotes after how they were dropped into that market the way they were, and will the Suns leave Phoenix or get new ownership is an open ended discussion, but the ship has likely sailed on the Coyotes and Suns being co-tenants again, never mind the Mercury splitting that into thirds the way the WNBA is now trending, see Indiana/Atlanta being either forced to relocate or being told to vacate whether or not it's a renovation just like the Storm are being paid to play elsewhere while the reno at SC CONTINUES....

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Glendale is it, tommy.... I doubt you'll see Phoenix ever try again for the Coyotes after how they were dropped into that market the way they were, and will the Suns leave Phoenix or get new ownership is an open ended discussion, but the ship has likely sailed on the Coyotes and Suns being co-tenants again, never mind the Mercury splitting that into thirds the way the WNBA is now trending, see Indiana/Atlanta being either forced to relocate or being told to vacate whether or not it's a renovation just like the Storm are being paid to play elsewhere while the reno at SC CONTINUES....
Like i said If staying at glendale is the only option for the coyotes to remain in Arizona the team is basically good as gone. If a new arena happens for the coyotes in Arizona. it would be near where the fanbase is. Somewhere around scottsdale (on the other side of Phx).

The Thunder still have the trademark View attachment 260241

Yes they still have the trademark for now until the NBA grants Seattle a new team after that the trademark will be transferred to Seattle's NBA group (Its basically the same group as the NHL but with additional folks). I don't see the NBA or OKC's owner telling a fellow owner that the new Seattle NBA team can't be called Seattle SuperSonics agian.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Like i said If staying at glendale is the only option for the coyotes to remain in Arizona the team is basically good as gone. If a new arena happens for the coyotes in Arizona. it would be near where the fanbase is. Somewhere around scottsdale (on the other side of Phx).

Yes they still have the trademark for now until the NBA grants Seattle a new team after that the trademark will be transferred to Seattle's NBA group (Its basically the same group as the NHL but with additional folks). I don't see the NBA or OKC's owner telling a fellow owner that the new Seattle NBA team can't be called Seattle SuperSonics agian.
The thunder have taken the same approach as the Canes under Peter Karmanos who never liked to acknowledge the franchise existed before they came to Carolina.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Regarding Houston, NHL is pretty much stuck with the only option arena of Toyota Center. I doubt The city of Houston would approve another arena there and thus forcing it to be 100% private so the idea of someone out there throwing 650 to buy a relocated team (for the sake of conversation let say coyotes have to relocation) then another 500-600m (rough guessing) all private for a new arena just for a hockey team probably won't pencil out especially having to compete with Toyota Center for other events.

Same issue as to why you'll never see the NBA in its own building in Seattle under the sodo group. It'll never pencil out (less than 70 events per year) and it'll cost 2.5 to 3b+ for it to happen. No one with money would be interested in that situation of a separate NBA building, they would rather take a free arena (NBA too for that matter) at Seattle Center.

That's basically 2.5 to 3 times as much it would cost someone else (not Houston NBA's owner) to bring a NHL team to Houston and build its own building all private.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The thunder have taken the same approach as the Canes under Peter Karmanos who never liked to acknowledge the franchise existed before
they came to Carolina.

That's better than how the sports Media has handled it. ESPN can't seem to separate when it comes to old stat records from back when the franchise was in Seattle. They think those old stat records are OKC thunders player stat records

It's not going to be a problem once the new NBA team arrives in Seattle. The history of the old NBA sonics will be transferred over to Seattle's NBA group at that time. Until that new team shows up in Seattle all of that are in the hands of OKC.

Reactions: Centrum Hockey

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
FYI Seattle's new arena isn't a remodel its basically a brand new building under the same roof. There is nothing left infrastructure wise.

I still can't believe they're saving the key arena roof....what an eyesore. To boot the arena is costing an extra $300 million to keep that dump rather than building completely new. They could have picked a better part of town while they were at it, than the cesspool that the homeless have created in Seattle Center

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I still can't believe they're saving the key arena roof....what an eyesore. To boot the arena is costing an extra $300 million to keep that dump rather than building completely new. They could have picked a better part of town while they were at it, than the cesspool that the homeless have created in Seattle Center

Talk to Seattle City Council. That was always their preference. OVG is simply playing the game dictated to them.

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Like i said If staying at glendale is the only option for the coyotes to remain in Arizona the team is basically good as gone.

Interrupting this OT Arizona tangent to the OT Seattle tangent to the barely relevant never-dying Houston thread to say

tumblr_p3e04dTnw61w8f7y5o1_250.gifv

Per Fox Sports Arizona, we just sold out our home opener! *In Glendale*, no less!

Reactions: oknazevad

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Pardon the interruption..... but both of you gentlemen are clearly clueless when it comes to Glendale, Phoenix and the Coyotes. Or Arizona sports teams in general.

Comes from too many years of a steady diet of relocationista narratives and extremely selective Bettman quoting.

None it will change the fact that Tillman Fertitta wants an NHL on the cheap and the league isn’t going to budge on what they think a franchise in Houston would be worth.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Interrupting this OT Arizona tangent to the OT Seattle tangent to the barely relevant never-dying Houston thread to say

tumblr_p3e04dTnw61w8f7y5o1_250.gifv

Per Fox Sports Arizona, we just sold out our home opener! *In Glendale*, no less!

Of course it would for a home opener but that still doesn't change the fact that the team is loosing money there and the NHL went on record saying at least twice that it won't work long term.

Reactions: Llama19

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Of course it would for a home opener but that still doesn't change the fact that the team is loosing money there and the NHL went on record saying at least twice that it won't work long term.

oh, trust me, I've heard all of the things about Glendale that the relocationistas here cling to so mightily, but "long term" is, of course, defined.......as.........?????

(also, FYI, only 1 'o' in 'losing', unless you literally meant being looser with the money, which is true - as we're spending closer to the cap given the rich new owner :laugh:)

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

And Bettman was on record multiple times before that on how Glendale was such a great city for hockey.

Wonder what changed their mind??

Get.... A..... Clue.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Its not going to be the same building. Only the roof is staying everything under that roof is brand new from scratch.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Pardon the interruption..... but both of you gentlemen are clearly clueless when it comes to Glendale, Phoenix and the Coyotes. Or Arizona sports teams in general.

Comes from too many years of a steady diet of relocationista narratives and extremely selective Bettman quoting.

None it will change the fact that Tillman Fertitta wants an NHL on the cheap and the league isn’t going to budge on what they think a franchise in Houston would be worth.

And it doesn't change the fact that the NHL is on the record saying Glendale's arena won't work long term. But lets ignore that little detail. You think NHL is gonna be fine with the team continuing to lose money in an building they deemed not viable. I doubt it. Again we'll see what the new owner does. New arena team stays permanently no new arena team eventually moves.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
And Bettman was on record multiple times before that on how Glendale was such a great city for hockey.

Wonder what changed their mind??

Get.... A..... Clue.

NBA said the same thing about key arena in Seattle until it no longer worked for them and guess what the Sonics moved to OKC.

Oh and it was after the coyotes was sold to the new owner when the NHL again said it Glendale isn't viable long term. I'm making my exit out of this thread since it seems some are ignoring what the league's latest stance is on the Coyotes' current arena.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
:sarcasm:
And it doesn't change the fact that the NHL is on the record saying Glendale's arena won't work long term. But lets ignore that little detail. You think NHL is gonna be fine with the team continuing to lose money in an building they deemed not viable. I doubt it. Again we'll see what the new owner does. New arena team stays permanently no new arena team eventually moves.

Read my last post Tommy and then rethink your position.

Ahhh see you did and still don’t get it....

You know WHY the league suddenly said it wasn’t viable, right??

But while we’re at that..... let’s also ignore your own statements the nobody would never ever pay $650 million for a franchise in Seattle. Much less sink a billion more for an arena. PLUS the physical costs of icing a team.

Oh......and I already know what the answer to that one will be. Santa Claus is going to pick up the check. :sarcasm:

A new arena in Scottsdale, Mesa, Gilbert, Tempe or even Guadalupe (bet you don’t even know where that is) doesn’t guarantee a damn thing Tommy.

The franchise had huge increase in revenues last year. Most they’d ever had (even when they played downtown). They sold a thousand more seats per game..... even when (according to the “experts”) the arena sits on the wrong side of town.

This year they’ve already doubled their weekend package sales over last. I’m waiting to see how it translates because there are no hard numbers to work with. Even though the arena (according to the “experts”) is in the wrong location.

Just like the “experts” have been predicting the Coyotes are moving next year since 2009.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->