Just discuss the race for the Rocket Trophy.......no noise

IMG_0744.jpg

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Last year we had 3 players to hit the 40+ mark. Crosby with 44, Matthews & Kucherov with 40.

This year we have at least 8 guys on pace for 40+. With 1 guy on pace for exactly 50.

Hopefully we see some of those guys up the pace and we have multiple 50 goal scorers this year, along with even more 40+ goal scorers.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
This crazy hot streak could end any time or have Laine past 40 goals by the end of the weekend.

Reactions: GNP

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Laine's pace recently has been incredible. Can't believe he keeps that up. Next year he'll take it though I'm sure.

Reactions: GNP

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Im just anxiously waiting for Patty to cool down. There is of course the small tiny chance that he can beastmode trough the entire month....

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Capitals next game is against LA who have the 2nd lowest goals against in the NHL Hopefully they keep Ovi off the scoresheet with Laine popping another two against the Devils tomorrow.

A dead heat on the race home will be a great secondary story.

Interesting takeaway from sorting the GF & GA for all teams was noticing the Jets are 4th best in goals against. We're also 4th best in goals for.

All other teams above us in one category are teams below us in the next suggesting we may have the best balance of scoring & defence in the league!

Jet sits at +48 in goal differentials. Only Boston (+52) & Nashville (+59) are better, but as mentioned neither them or any other NHL team places above the Jets in both GF and GA.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Games remaining

Ovechkin 16
Laine 16
Malkin 14
Staal 15
Seguin 15
Karlsson 16
Kucherov 15
MacKinnon 16

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
A jinx thread if I ever saw one. Clearly Chevy/Maurice were panicked at Laine's recent form and put Aavco upto jinxing him so that their grand conspiracy to "hold Laine back" isn't put in jeopardy.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
How good of a signing was Staal's?
He is signed for one more year at 3.5m!
The Canes could really use him now.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
How good of a signing was Staal's?
He is signed for one more year at 3.5m!
The Canes could really use him now.
Of course that is easy to say right now. But the last time Staal played in Carolina, he was pretty useless for them. I don't know what has really happened to him after that, but obviously the Canes had no idea that something like that could still happen. And I'm pretty sure no one was expecting this kind of a season from him still. Most probably not even himself.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I'm not expecting Laine The Nice to win the award but wouldn't be entirely shocked if he somehow managed to pull even that off. Would be epic. Hum... no, not epic, but legendary!

Last edited by a moderator:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Pretty useless?
Have you looked at his stats?
Did you even read through his post? He specifically mentioned that he was useless for Carolina back in 2016, and that the Canes could not have anticipated this kind of bounce-back. (then again, it truly is odd what a significant decrease in SH% can do to a player)

Reactions: Ippenator

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Did you even read through his post? He specifically mentioned that he was useless for Carolina back in 2016, and that the Canes could not have anticipated this kind of bounce-back. (then again, it truly is odd what a significant decrease in SH% can do to a player)

Decrease in SH% does nothing to a player. Decrease in SH% is the result of something, not a cause.

If there is a really low or high SH% over long period such as 20-40 games let alone a full season, it's most probably not caused by natural variance but there are some reasons behind it. For example for Laine number 1 reason for his sky high SH% is his sky high confidence. [Like] Pate said himself already in the last season: when you are hot you are hot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Pretty useless?
Have you looked at his stats?
Well, as I said, the last time when he played for the Canes he was pretty useless for them. And that was the season 2015-2016. He played 63 games with 10+23=33, which at least in my opinion is pretty bad for a 1st line center with major PP time. Of course I know that much further in the past he was a beast for the Canes. Just not anymore during his last seasons there though.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Otherwise agree with you, but I do think like @Halberdier, that the bad shooting percentage is more a result of some bad play than just bad luck. For sure there is both, but during almost a full season it should reflect poor shooting clearly more than just bad luck.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Off topic but maybe Staal just needed a change of scenery for whatever reason to wake him up as a player. Wouldn't be the first it has happened to. Also I recall reading somewhere when he came to Minnesota Boudreau gave him a talk of believing in him and that he's still an offensive #1 C in the league who should play big minutes in every situation, or something along those lines. Not sure what the rest of the roster was like for Carolina, but somehow I have the feeling Minnesota is a way deeper team than 2015-2016 Canes, which could go a long way also.

As for the Rocket, while I don't expect Laine to keep up his current pace, which would be completely crazy anyway (9 goals in last 5, 13 in last 9... ) I can't honestly see him going completely cold either unless he goes back to ELL or something. If he fell back to his "pre-hotstreak" pace for the rest of the season, he'd end up with 45 goals. He's currently on pace for 47 over the whole season. If he kept up the pace of this crazy hotstreak (which I count as the last 9 games), he'd end the season with 61. He's been very consistent this year, so I'd say anything between 45-52 seems like high probability. 55 if he stays blazing hot for the rest of the season. To reach 50 he'd obviously need to keep this streak going - it would take 12 goals in the remaining 16 games, which is a lot but not at all unreasonable given the way he's been playing. Basically what it takes to have a shot at 50 is keep playing like he is, but he can afford to shoot at 20-25% instead of the 50% he's at for his hot streak... or fall back to the pace he was before this hot streak but spice it up with a couple hat trick games or a crazy 5-goal game or something.

For Laine, I'm guessing the only thing better than being 2nd after Ovechkin in goals would be to actually win the Rocket... but if Ovechkin wins it, somehow I have the feeling this would be an occasion where he wouldn't feel too bad for being 2nd. Gotta be huge for him. If I try to imagine my 19-year old self in his place, in some weird way being 2nd after my childhood idol would almost mean more than beating him, but then again I never had the competitive drive of pro-athletes :) Anyway, as for me, I'm pretty happy if he gets over 40. Before the season, that was my minimal projection for "expectations met" happiness certification, though since then the goal posts have moved a bit back and worth according to circumstances.

Reactions: Ippenator

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Tonight

Ovi plays in LA
Laine plays in Jersey
Malkin is off
Staal is off
Seguin is off
Karlsson plays in Detroit
Kucherov plays NYR at home