Ovechkin Wins Eighth Career Rocket Richard Trophy

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
I agree he shouldn’t lose it but he’s not being consistent at all anymore, unless it’s staying off the score sheet lol and I’m an ovi fan
What are you talking about?

This season Ovi has scored 1 or more goals in 25 games, Skinner and McDavid have 24 games with 1 or more, Point, Tavares, and Landeskog have 23.

In 17-18 Ovi and Laine scored 1 or more in 37 games, Malkin did it 35 times while missing 4 games., Karlsson 34 and Staal 32.

This season and last Ovi has led the league in games with 1 or more goals so unless he starts scoring 65 goals a season again there isn't much he can do in terms of being on the score sheet when it comes to goals.

Reactions: Hippasus

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Ovechkin has yet another Rocket on lock. No one else is on pace for 50 and he would have to play well below his career standard to not hit that number yet again.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Ovechkin has yet another Rocket on lock. No one else is on pace for 50 and he would have to play well below his career standard to not hit that number yet again.
With more than a quarter of the season left I wouldn't say anyone has anything on lock, but it looks good for Ovie.

On top of his lead and strong pace, he has been reunited with Kuzy, who is suddenly on fire.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
With more than a quarter of the season left I wouldn't say anyone has anything on lock, but it looks good for Ovie.

On top of his lead and strong pace, he has been reunited with Kuzy, who is suddenly on fire.

Come on man, he’s not some bum like Laine. He’s Ovechkin. Ice cold for him is like 10 goals in the remaining 26 games. He’s a lock for 50, he’s a lock for the Rocket and he’s a lock for 700 goals by the end of next season for that matter.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Come on man, he’s not some bum like Laine. He’s Ovechkin. Ice cold for him is like 10 goals in the remaining 26 games. He’s a lock for 50, he’s a lock for the Rocket and he’s a lock for 700 goals by the end of next season for that matter.
If Laine is some bum anyone of the players below ovechkin could post 5 goals in a game and all of a sudden be leading the race.

5 goals isn’t a huge gap with 26 games left thats damn near a whole third of the season left

Edit: I expect ovechkin to win but don’t count out players like Tavares, skinner, and draisaitl all who have an elite linemate to feed off of and have the ability to put up goals in bunches. P.S ovechkin is a god

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
If Laine is some bum anyone of the players below ovechkin could post 5 goals in a game and all of a sudden be leading the race.

5 goals isn’t a huge gap with 26 games left thats damn near a whole third of the season left

Yes it’s the last third of the season aka the time that Ovechkin often goes nuts. No guarantee of that which is why I went super conservative and said 50 could win it and that’s not even half a goal per game for him.

I look at the rest of the field and no one is going to make up that gap. 5 goals is a nice lead for one of the greatest scorers ever. I won’t bet against Ovechkin until he collapses over the course of multiple seasons where he has a lead of a handful of goals or more going into the remaining third of the season and lets anyone else take over the lead from him and actually manage to steal his Rocket.

I agree with some of the folks saying McDavid is a dark horse for this especially since he hasn’t really gone off this year either and he could possibly hit 50 himself with a bit of a surge...but Ovechkin has long ago commanded this kind of faith. Bookmark it because I will be absolutely shocked if Ovechkin doesn’t add another trophy to his cabinet as well as another 50 goal campaign.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Yes it’s the last third of the season aka the time that Ovechkin often goes nuts. No guarantee of that which is why I went super conservative and said 50 could win it and that’s not even half a goal per game for him.

I look at the rest of the field and no one is going to make up that gap. 5 goals is a nice lead for one of the greatest scorers ever. I won’t bet against Ovechkin until he collapses over the course of multiple seasons where he has a lead of a handful of goals or more going into the remaining third of the season and lets anyone else take over the lead from him and actually manage to steal his Rocket.

I agree with some of the folks saying McDavid is a dark horse for this especially since he hasn’t really gone off this year either and he could possibly hit 50 himself with a bit of a surge...but Ovechkin has long ago commanded this kind of faith.
I absolutely agree hard to bet against him at this point

I’m an Oiler fan but can’t recall perfectly, think mcdavid had something like 27 goals in 26 games last year or something to close out the year

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I absolutely agree hard to bet against him at this point

I’m an Oiler fan but can’t recall perfectly, think mcdavid had something like 27 goals in 26 games last year or something to close out the year

I’m going to check out his game log. No argument from me that McDavid is the only one who can get white hot at this point. After all, he is the best in the world overall. But until it happens and a season occurs where Ovechkin gets the trophy wrested out of his grasp, I just can’t give it to anyone else, especially since he has the lead currently.

Edit: Yeah McDavid was definitely pretty sick coming immediately coming out the All Star break. 26 goals in 30 games and then scoreless in his final 3 to end the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: B33K33PING

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
McDavid to me is his biggest threat. Skinner, Tavares and Draisaitl have never hit 40 in a season, let alone 50.

Now I'm not saying they can't because everyone can have a "career" season and this could be it for those three. I'm just saying that the odds are against them getting there.

McDavid hit 40 last season and will clearly beat that this season. I'm sure he's probably close to or above a 50 goal pace going back to his last 82 games played.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Don’t think Mcdavid is making up a 7 goal gap. Skinner well I just don’t believe he’s going to keep pace all year. Tavares May be the biggest threat. I believe the leafs are going to play some really good hockey down the stretch. Honestly I would be shocked if ovy lost. 5 goals is a huge gap for him. Kuny is firing and ovy had 8 shots tonight. I expect him to run away with it and win by 7-8 foresure. It is what it is, he’s the greatest goal scorer of all time. I just hope he can play well for another 5-6 years and average 30-35 goals during that time. It can be done and if Ovy continues being near a 50 goal guy for even 1 to 2 seasons then things really get interesting. 800 for the gr8 8 would be incredible. Nowadays 800 goals??! That’s insanity. Would be hard not to put him in the top 10 of all time under that scenario. Especially while winning a cup at 32 and potting 15 goals. Most physical superstar of all time. Everyone knows he’s physical but I just don’t think he gets enough credit for it. Russianmachineneverbreak

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
All I have to say is holy crap Ovie is not slowing down. If this guy can still put up a few 50 goal seasons, plus mix in some 30-40 ones, he may get close or beat 99's record.

Unlikely, but if anybody can, and he is already at 645......

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
McDavid to me is his biggest threat. Skinner, Tavares and Draisaitl have never hit 40 in a season, let alone 50.

Now I'm not saying they can't because everyone can have a "career" season and this could be it for those three. I'm just saying that the odds are against them getting there.

McDavid hit 40 last season and will clearly beat that this season. I'm sure he's probably close to or above a 50 goal pace going back to his last 82 games played.
Tavares has also never played with a playmaker like Marner on his line before. I think he gets 40 easily. Maybe like 41/42. But yeah the rocket is going to OV again no doubt. They should rename the award at this point

bobbyking

May 29, 2018

Edit: I expect ovechkin to win but don’t count out players like Tavares, skinner, and draisaitl all who have an elite linemate to feed off of and have the ability to put up goals in bunches. P.S ovechkin is a god
I would absolutely count them out LOL have you been watching hockey the last 14 years?

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
How is this a race ? Ovy is winning this easily. Only Mcdavid might have a shot, but it's very unlikely

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
On November 30th of 2018, Laine led Ovechkin in goals 21-18.

Since then, Ovechkin has outscored Laine 20-4 as Laine has 4 goals in his last 32 games played.

Does Laine hit 40 this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->