Rocket Richard article

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
This article is one of the best I've seen on him. Alot of personal insight and how many others saw him. It appears to have been written in the late 1950's near the end of his career. I thought it might interest some here.

''When he's worked up,'' says Selke, ''his eyes gleam like headlights. Not a glow, but a piercing intensity. Goalies have said he's like a motorcar coming on you at night. He is terrifying. He is the greatest hockey player that ever lived. I can contradict myself by saying that 10 or 15 do the mechanics better. But it's results that count. Others play well, build up, eventually get a goal. He is like lightning. It's a fine summer day, suddenly. . . .''

''In all my experience in athletics, academic pursuits, business,'' says NHL president Clarence Campbell, ''I've never seen a man so completely dedicated to the degree he is. Many people who prosper take prosperity for granted. He doesn't to this day. He is the best hockey player he can be every second. You know, he is the eldest of a fairly extensive family raised in relative poverty. Somehow or other, he was going to lift himself. He has an inner urge to transcend.''

''Nothing goes to my head,'' Richard says. ''I don't think I deserve it. That's my whole trouble all the years. There are better hockey players, but they don't work as hard. I like to win.''

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Fantastic portrait of an enigmatic man in the twilight of an illustrious career.

My only regret is that people don't ever say 'Holy Dirty Dora!'' or "They'll say you let a bandy rooster lick the **** of the walk.'' anymore.

Bring back old-timey slang.

Sensfanman

Jan 27, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Have you heard Bob Cole? He's a dandy commentator...and his buddy Harry Neale? You know what they say, there's always free cheese in the mousetrap...

But that is a perfect way to sum up the Rocket...build up the pressure and just bam zoom straight to the moon.

Wetcoaster

Have you heard Bob Cole? He's a dandy commentator...and his buddy Harry Neale? You know what they say, there's always free cheese in the mousetrap...

But that is a perfect way to sum up the Rocket...build up the pressure and just bam zoom straight to the moon.
The same Bob Cole who refers to:
  • The Sundin twins on the Canucks?
  • The captain as Mats Nasund?
  • The hard rock d-man as Kevin Beeksa?
The same Bob Cole who rather than say the name of an Ottawa player simply says the "Sens player"?

That Bob Cole????:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Well past his "best before" date.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
The one thing that always struck me about both Richard's is their absolute hatred for losing. I've always believed that this sets them apart from other great players. When they won, it wasn't joy, it was relief.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad