Rochester Amerks/Elmira Jackals Thread-2014-2015 Season-Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
No but it may have to do with how he approaches the game. Scoring may not be his role or #1 priority when it comes to ES... it may be simply to cause havoc and be an ass and when the PP arrives he shifts focus. If that is the reason for the discrepancy in ES to PP goals it's a pretty correctable issue. The fact that he can deflect shots and bang home rebounds on the PP should be looked at as a positive not a negative. And there is no reason to believe that it can't translate to ES if that is what he focuses on. I don't see many Red Wing fans complaining that over half of Nyquists goals have come on the PP this year.

He's one of the best players on his team. There's no way his coach doesn't want him to score more at even strength. The question is if the lack of ES production (assists are severely lacking in general and his goals at ES aren't great) is an inherent flaw in his game or a product of his teammates. From what I've seen of him I don't think he has the offensive game to be more than a 3rd liner and there's a question of how much offense creation he'd bring in that role. Of course, it's possible he continues to improve and defy that expectation or my expectation could simply be fundamentally incorrect.

The plus side is that he has an NHL shot. His release isn't elite but the shot itself is impressive, even moreso in the games I saw this year compared to last. The other plus with regards to his scoring is that there's no doubt he can score around the net and I'm sure he could do so on the PP in the NHL. He's definitely elite at the junior level when it comes to leveraging around the net and redirecting shots.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He's one of the best players on his team. There's no way his coach doesn't want him to score more at even strength. The question is if the lack of ES production (assists are severely lacking in general and his goals at ES aren't great) is an inherent flaw in his game or a product of his teammates. From what I've seen of him I don't think he has the offensive game to be more than a 3rd liner and there's a question of how much offense creation he'd bring in that role. Of course, it's possible he continues to improve and defy that expectation or my expectation could simply be fundamentally incorrect.

The plus side is that he has an NHL shot. His release isn't elite but the shot itself is impressive, even moreso in the games I saw this year compared to last. The other plus with regards to his scoring is that there's no doubt he can score around the net and I'm sure he could do so on the PP in the NHL. He's definitely elite at the junior level when it comes to leveraging around the net and redirecting shots.

Again.. I wasn't speaking about it being the coaches wishes. Perhaps I did a poor job of conveying that based on what was being discussed before. I was laying it at his own feet which I said if it's the case it's a correctable issue .. being too caught up with being a pest and not concentrating on his actual game. I think it's fair to say that he's going to be on 3rd or 4th line if our rebuild is going to be deemed a success or at least that would be preferable.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Ya. Third line is about his upside. I'm not as sure as you that he will be effective in front of the net at the nhl, but it's certainly possible. I think it's unlikely he would get that opportunity at the NHL level if he can't be effective at es.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Schaller Leads Amerks To 4-3 OT Win Over Griffins - Amerks.com - Saturday, February 7.

The Rochester Americans and Grand Rapids Griffins needed overtime for the second night in a row on Saturday at Van Andel Arena.
But this time it was the Amerks coming out on top as Tim Schaller scored his second goal of the game in the extra session to give Rochester a 4-3 victory.
With the win, the Amerks have now collected five out of a possible six points over their last three games and improve to 20-26-2-0 on the season.

Rochester trailed 2-0/3-1 at various points of the second period.
Tied the game midway through the third period to force overtime for the second consecutive night.
In the extra session, Schaller tipped in a shot from the point by Matt MacKenzie to give Rochester the win.

Schaller scored his team-leading 14th and 15th goals of the season and also added an assist to lead the Amerks with a three-point night.
MacKenzie and Joel Armia each registered two assists while William Carrier and Jerry D’Amigo rounded out the scoring.
Jake McCabe picked up an assist to extend his point streak to five games.
Goaltender Matt Hackett stopped 23 of 26 Grand Rapids shots to earn the win in net.

Landon Ferraro paced the Griffins with a goal and an assist while Anthony Mantha and Andreas Athanasiou each scored a goal.
Goaltender Tom McCollum made 28 saves on 32 Rochester shots in the losing effort.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.amerks.com/recap.asp?gameID=20150207

Boxscore-Gamesheet - Amerks 4 Griffins 3 (OT) - Saturday, February 7 - TheAHL.com - http://theahl.com/stats/official-game-report.php?game_id=1014155

Game Highlights - Amerks 4 Griffins 3 (OT) - Saturday, February 7 - YouTube.com - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwZSQsHPvUA

BotterilltheScrivner

Jan 23, 2010
NYC
I only saw OT, but man what a play by Armia on that goal. Seems like so many Amerks fans **** on Armia last season, but I've seen a lot of Amerks games this year and he's been their best player in plenty of them.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I only saw OT, but man what a play by Armia on that goal. Seems like so many Amerks fans **** on Armia last season, but I've seen a lot of Amerks games this year and he's been their best player in plenty of them.

He's been very good this season. He was also really terrible last season, so the complaining was more than justified.

BotterilltheScrivner

Jan 23, 2010
NYC
He's been very good this season. He was also really terrible last season, so the complaining was more than justified.

Admittedly, I only watched their playoff games last year. I didn't say he wasn't bad last year, I'm just happy to see him playing so well now after what has obviously been a big developmental year for him.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Starting with the bad first, Armia's turnover leading to GR's second goal was ugggggly.
That's very unusual for Armia in this season. For example precious Grigorenko has turnovers like that 2-3 in every game.

Still waiting for Cassidy getting fired. I can't watch that senseless and undisciplined **** anymore.

Bps21*

Precious Grigorenko...

You know which nhl forward has the most turnovers this year? John Tavares. Because you turn it over a lot more when you have the puck a lot.

ZeroPT*

That's very unusual for Armia in this season. For example precious Grigorenko has turnovers like that 2-3 in every game.

Still waiting for Cassidy getting fired. I can't watch that senseless and undisciplined **** anymore.

No one is bringing Grigorenko up. We get that you don't like him but quite trashing him when he hasn't been talked about in a page

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
A pest that can pot 20 goals? I'll take him, whether he arbitrarily projects to the arbitrary role of "2nd" or "3rd" line center, as though there's much of a difference in ice time between the two

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I'm not sure what his role on the pp has to do with how he doesn't have similar success during even strength. I don't think a coach has ever told a player, score more at pp than you do in the vast majority of the rest of the game. Just as a general point, a junior player in his post draft year who scores a lot on pp, but not at es, raises a red flag that says a lot more about Barrie's coach giving him great opportunity on the pp, and when he has to play at es he can't do it to anywhere near the same degree. So if anything I would say coaching is actually making him look better than he is, rather than the other way around.

I'm not sure what your point about his defense is, cuz that's not what we were talking about. But if he makes it to the NHL it will be because he fights and hits, not because he has a quality all around game. If that was why the Sabres drafted him there were better options.

If he is putting in 12 minutes a game on the PP (the OHL generally have a lot of PP time), then he may only be getting 8 minutes of even strength time. Because he is used so much on the PP, he may not be getting the ice time at even strength to score nearly as many.

Take for example Mike Hoffman. One of the top Sens point leaders despite having no PP points. Does it mean his game does not translate to the PP, or does it mean he is getting minimal PP time? I've seen enough to say the latter.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
If he is putting in 12 minutes a game on the PP (the OHL generally have a lot of PP time), then he may only be getting 8 minutes of even strength time. Because he is used so much on the PP, he may not be getting the ice time at even strength to score nearly as many.

Take for example Mike Hoffman. One of the top Sens point leaders despite having no PP points. Does it mean his game does not translate to the PP, or does it mean he is getting minimal PP time? I've seen enough to say the latter.

or its because when he's not on the power play, he's in the penalty box

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Preview - Amerks Wraps Up Midwest Portion Of Road Trip With Game Against The Admirals - Amerks.com - Sunday, February 8.

Tonights Game - The Rochester Americans play their final game of a three-in-three weekend this afternoon against the Milwaukee Admirals at the BMO Harris Bradley Center. The 4:00 pm ET contest will be the second and final meeting between the teams this season and will be broadcast LIVE on FOX Sports 1280 AM Rochester.

Rest Of The Game Preview - http://www.amerks.com/preview.asp?gameID=20150208

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Prospects Recap - Saturday, February 7 - Fasching Takes Charge - Kris Baker @SabresProspects - SabresProspects.com

NCAA - Hudson Fasching scored a highlight reel goal Saturday as Minnesota rolled past Ohio State 6-2.
Fasching put the Gophers up 2-0 at 7:01 of the first when he skated the puck behind the Buckeyes' net, quickly reversed and glided in front for the forehand finish.
The marker was Fasching's eighth of the year and third in ten games since returning from the World Junior Championships.
Christian Isackson supplied one shot on goal for the Gophers.

NCAA - Cal Petersen made 33 saves and Connor Hurley picked up one assist as Notre Dame downed Maine 5-1.
The victory improves Petersen record to 7-11-2 on the year with a 2.63 GAA and a .906 save%.
Hurley's helper ends an eight-game point drought - leaving him with three goals and nine assists through his first twenty-nine college games.

OHL - Nick Baptiste struck on the power play for his 20th goal of the year as Erie earned a 4-2 triumph over London.
Baptiste has points in seven straight games to elevate his season total to 41 (20+21).

OHL - Eric Cornel scored his 13th goal of the year and assisted on an empty-netter as Peterborough doubled Windsor 6-3.
Cornel has upped his production of late - snatching four goals and seven assists in his last nine games.

Rest Of The Prospects Recap - Video Of Fasching/Cornel Goals - http://www.sabresprospects.com/2015/02/27-recap-fasching-takes-charge.html

Last edited:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

This is actually the reverse of what we are talking about. Hoffman is succeeding at es, which is far more difficult than succeeding on the pp. So ya it is much more believable that he could succeed on the pp if given the opportunity. In the Lemieux situation he is succeeding on the pp, the easier place to produce, and not succeeding at es the hard time to produce. Which makes it harder to believe he will start to to do so at es at a much more difficult level.

I don't have the time to dig for pp time in the O right now, so I'll leave that alone, but if you could find a split time for Lemieux that shows he gets more ice time on the pp than es I would be shocked. I watch the O on a regular basis and have never thought that there was such a large amount of pp time. Perhaps in a given game it could happen, maybe, but over the course of the season I sincerely doubt it.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Lol he's an overrated coach really. Readings championship had a buttload of AHL talent on it because of the lockout. They had a lot of guys on their playoff roster in that year who wouldn't normally have qualifies for ECHL playoffs. That and their affiliates were awful. Unfortunately teams like them and Elmira vastly overachieve because of the whole AHL proximity thing they got going on. They get players they otherwise wouldn't I'd they didn't have that in their favor.

ZeroPT*

He's seen as an offensive defensmen?

all around player. He's absolutely munching up the minutes in Saskatoon. Shame he won't be in the WHL playoffs because the Blades suck.

However, the Blades being **** makes what he's doing even more impressive. PPG all situations D-man on the worst team in the league. Solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad