Rochester Americans / Cincinnati Cyclones Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not re-signing Blackwell is a head scratcher. I wish him well with the predators.

Last edited:

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Not re-signing Blackwell is a head scratcher. I wish them well with the predators.
Being 25 already and non-waiver exempt probably has a lot to do with it...if Blackwell doesn't make the Preds out of camp we can always snap him back up on waivers. Of course, then we'd have to find room for him on our main roster or lose him to waivers ourselves.

We have Baptiste and Bailey and I think O'Regan as well who would have to clear waivers to get to Rochester.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Being 25 already and non-waiver exempt probably has a lot to do with it...if Blackwell doesn't make the Preds out of camp we can always snap him back up on waivers. Of course, then we'd have to find room for him on our main roster or lose him to waivers ourselves.

We have Baptiste and Bailey and I think O'Regan as well who would have to clear waivers to get to Rochester.
Waivers have nothing to do with it. They were likely offering him an AHL contract because of the 50 limit, which itself is a poor decision. He’s well worth an NHL contract. He’ll clear waivers without issue.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
In general, I’ve been quite disappointed over the past week:

• Wedgewood was far from my first choice and has questionable numbers in the AHL
  • Re-signing Dalton Smith has to be one of the worst decisions I can remember in a long time that’s Amerk related. He had 1 goal last season, was overall worthless as a player and is an exempt veteran. Unless he’s ticketed for Cincinnati, a miserable decision.
  • Letting Blackwell go. I knew he was gone when 7/1 hit. If they’re not willing to give a player like him an NHL contract, that is really questionable.
  • No other veteran forward signings. I know there’s more prospects at forward this year with talent than usual, and I’m excited to watch them. But they still need some stability and a proven vet who can score goals that will stay down all year. Most are gone at this point and the lack of activity has been disappointing
Hopefully they’re sill working on getting a forward or two, which is what Sexton did say. Eric Tangradi scored 30 last year. Mark Zengerle is a Rochester native and a player they signed last season, wouldn’t be surprised to see him on an AHL deal. Shane Prince is another Rochester native that I’d like.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Shane Prince for Rochester would be awesome, I can see him being a classic tweener who could really help our roster much like Griffith did when he was finally sent down.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
This is a far bigger loss than people probably realize. He was every bit the MVP Ullmark was.
He seemed to be on the trajectory to becoming a solid bottom-6 player in the NHL. I dont understand why they let him go. Dumb move.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
In general, I’ve been quite disappointed over the past week:

• Wedgewood was far from my first choice and has questionable numbers in the AHL
  • Re-signing Dalton Smith has to be one of the worst decisions I can remember in a long time that’s Amerk related. He had 1 goal last season, was overall worthless as a player and is an exempt veteran. Unless he’s ticketed for Cincinnati, a miserable decision.
  • Letting Blackwell go. I knew he was gone when 7/1 hit. If they’re not willing to give a player like him an NHL contract, that is really questionable.
  • No other veteran forward signings. I know there’s more prospects at forward this year with talent than usual, and I’m excited to watch them. But they still need some stability and a proven vet who can score goals that will stay down all year. Most are gone at this point and the lack of activity has been disappointing
Hopefully they’re sill working on getting a forward or two, which is what Sexton did say. Eric Tangradi scored 30 last year. Mark Zengerle is a Rochester native and a player they signed last season, wouldn’t be surprised to see him on an AHL deal. Shane Prince is another Rochester native that I’d like.
I have zero faith in the front office. It's been a sad offseason.

Deleted member 27798

Was Blackwell a UFA or did the Sabres have RFA rights on him that they didn't exercise?

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Then it's hard to criticize Botts/Sexton. Maybe like many other minor leaguers chasing the dream, he decided to try another organization.
It’s not hard at all to criticize. They had plenty of time to work out a deal. They just didn’t offer him an NHL deal most likely. I don’t blame Blackwell, I blame the Sabres for not offering as good of a contract.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'm calling it. Rochester wins the 2019 Calder Cup.
Impossible to tell at this point. But I would be very surprised. The Amerks may seem like they have a ton of talent, but the standard has been set so low for this organization over the years, I don’t think people realize what a real contender looks like. Lots of unknowns on the roster, everything would have to come together. And they’ve done nothing in free agency. Syracuse is bringing back most of their team from last year, Toronto won it all and Laval signed just about every good AHL free agent out there. The division should be better this season.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It’s not hard at all to criticize. They had plenty of time to work out a deal. They just didn’t offer him an NHL deal most likely. I don’t blame Blackwell, I blame the Sabres for not offering as good of a contract.
Disappointing, if so. Wonder if Blackwell allowed the Sabres to counter, or not. Given the waiver exemption for 1st-year of first contract (thanks for reminding us, @dotcommunism), all the Sabres would have to do is offer an NHL deal with higher AHL salary, and/or a slightly higher NHL salary, (which is pro-rated anyway). Didn't seem hard to do either... Two year term shouldn't have been an issue, regardless. Puzzling...

Only thing I can figure is the 50-man contract limit is encroaching. I count 47 including the slide of UPL.

Who are the "bottom rungs" organizationally with NHL contracts? Brycen Martin and Vaclav Karabacek? Could have flipped those two for a cap dump and 7th round pick and signed Blackwell. Take Crisco or Porters contract slot next season. It's not like you can ever have too many centers. Many of you Amerk followers were really high on him.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
It is never bad to have more than one guy who can play that role. They need more hard to play against players, not fewer.
My thought is, Malone takes Blackwell's role and then Asplund takes Malone's role. I agree losing Blackwell sucks, but if it means getting more time for Malone and Asplund, it stings less.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Disappointing, if so. Wonder if Blackwell allowed the Sabres to counter, or not. Given the waiver exemption for 1st-year of first contract (thanks for reminding us, @dotcommunism), all the Sabres would have to do is offer an NHL deal with higher AHL salary, and/or a slightly higher NHL salary, (which is pro-rated anyway). Didn't seem hard to do either... Two year term shouldn't have been an issue, regardless. Puzzling...

Only thing I can figure is the 50-man contract limit is encroaching. I count 47 including the slide of UPL.

Who are the "bottom rungs" organizationally with NHL contracts? Brycen Martin and Vaclav Karabacek? Could have flipped those two for a cap dump and 7th round pick and signed Blackwell. Take Crisco or Porters contract slot next season. It's not like you can ever have too many centers. Many of you Amerk followers were really high on him.
I am still puzzled that botts didn't include a Martin or Karabacek in the blues trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad