Status
Not open for further replies.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Wolcox stops 25 0f 28.....

Asplund remains productive..

I am due to take The Amerks in again in the next two weeks...

Scoring
1st
1:18ROCWayne Simpson (8) ASST: Eric Cornel (3)
5:45ROCTyler Randell (1) ASST: Jack Dougherty (4), Brandon Hickey(1)
16:13SYRAndy Andreoff (11) ASST: Alex Barre-Boulet (12)
2nd
6:40ROCZach Redmond (14) ASST: C.J. Smith (12), Wayne Simpson(6)
3rd
1:03SYRCal Foote (2) ASST: Carter Verhaeghe (17), Hubert Labrie (4)
9:49ROCVictor Olofsson (9) ASST: Brendan Guhle (10), Rasmus Asplund (8) (PP)
11:55SYRTaylor Raddysh (9) ASST: Mitchell Stephens (6), Alexander Volkov (8) (PP)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Fearnot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Kevin Porter was hurt on Friday night, only reason the fourth line of muscle all played. Dalton Smith made a big hit at center ice to give Randell the space to take off and score.

Considering how the Crunch pushed the Amerks around last spring, I was wondering if it was more tit-for-tat than that. Still, nice to see Randell getting on the board.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Live up to his draft spot?

Less than half of the 3rd rounders from that draft have played even a single NHL game to this point.

He was drafted high when it comes to goalies. Success or failure is very different with goalies than with skaters.

You use a 2nd/3rd on a goalie you want to hit on it. It’s the functional equivalent of hitting on a top half 1st round puck.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He was drafted high when it comes to goalies. Success or failure is very different with goalies than with skaters.

You use a 2nd/3rd on a goalie you want to hit on it. It’s the functional equivalent of hitting on a top half 1st round puck.

There is a reason why teams are taking goalies less and less in the first round.

They are much less confident in the ability to predict a goalie's future than they can with forwards and defense.

I haven't seen any analysis that says that goalies in the 2nd/3rd round turn out to be NHLers at a higher rate than F/D.

And if you compare JJ's progress to the 4 2nd round goalies in 2014, he is in the middle of that pack.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
eBay purchase:

20181212_162752.jpg
20181212_162812.jpg

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

That’s quite the statement on hit ratios for a 2nd/3rd round goalie pick to have the same hit rate as a skater in top 15.

Please provide a link to literally anything that supports that theory. I would be fascinated to read that info.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That’s quite the statement on hit ratios for a 2nd/3rd round goalie pick to have the same hit rate as a skater in top 15.

Please provide a link to literally anything that supports that theory. I would be fascinated to read that info.

Drafting goalies..I could have missed one in my quick glance. These are draft first 3 rounds.

2002 3-5-4
2003 1-2-2
2004 2-2-4

2012. 1-2-7
2013 0-4-3
2014 0-5-3

I’m not even looking at success failure..most didn’t amount to much from 2002-2004.

Teams have shifted given the longer development time to wait and draft goalies till later. If you use a 2nd you are expect this player to be a future starter. If a goalie is drafted innthe 1st it’s Pick 20 or later. I think bernier was the last top 15 goalie drafted.

Last edited:
Reactions: wnysupport

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Drafting goalies..I could have missed one in my quick glance. These are draft first 3 rounds.

2092 3-5-4
2003 1-2-20
2094 2-2-4

2012. 1-2-7
2013 0-4-3
2014 0-5-3

I’m not even looking at success failure..most didn’t amount to much from 2002-2004.

Teams have shifted given the longer development time to wait and draft goalies till later. If you use a 2nd you are expect thus player to be a future starter. If a goalie is drafted innthe 1st it’s Pick 29 or later. I think bernier was the last top 15 goalie drafted.

I don't even understand these numbers. Like I don't even understand which ones are typos and which ones you meant.

Reactions: ZZamboni

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Steve Martin said comedy wasn't pretty, and neither were The Amerks Wednesday Night.

Johanssen, who has been very good, wasn't tonight, and gave up 4 goals on 10 shots, and got pulled after giving up two quickies at the start of the 2'nd.

And to think I used to like quickies....

Scoring
1st
4:51BNGJohn Quenneville (9) ASST: John Ramage (5), Marian Studenic (9)
14:08BNGEgor Sharangovich (5) ASST: None (SH)
2nd
1:21BNGJohn Ramage (3) ASST: Marian Studenic (10), John Quenneville (10)
1:53BNGBlake Pietila (9) ASST: None
8:22ROCSean Malone (2) ASST: Alexander Nylander (13), Matt Hunwick (1)
15:07BNGKurtis Gabriel (2) ASST: John Ramage (6)
3rd
No Scoring
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

2092 3-5-4
2003 1-2-20
2094 2-2-4

2012. 1-2-7
2013 0-4-3
2014 0-5-3

Teams have shifted given the longer development time to wait and draft goalies till later. If you use a 2nd you are expect thus player to be a future starter. If a goalie is drafted innthe 1st it’s Pick 29 or later. I think bernier was the last top 15 goalie drafted.

This is completely incoherent. The fact that someone liked this is mind blowing.

If I navigate this monstrosity to come up with the idea that you think because goalies get drafted later somehow that just means it’s because of longer development time, and that they are still expected to turnout into starters..... I mean what in the world are you talking about?? Nobody drafts a player late, with the expectation they will be an nhl player, but need more time. They might hope that, but only a fool would expect that.

A top 15 pick should be an nhler for 100 games or more like 50% of the time. The odds drop dramatically in the 2nd or 3rd.

Your own half ass research showed that these goalies don’t hit often in those rounds either.

What it should tell you, that NHL teams don’t draft goalies in the first round as much as they used to, is that it’s a crap shoot. Goalies are very difficult to project.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What it should tell you, that NHL teams don’t draft goalies in the first round as much as they used to, is that it’s a crap shoot. Goalies are very difficult to project.

So using a 2nd or high 3rd instead of waiting till late 3rd or later says you are expecting this goalie to be something --if not its blown pick.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
So using a 2nd or high 3rd instead of waiting till late 3rd or later says you are expecting this goalie to be something --if not its blown pick.

No it doesn’t. It says that teams think that using a first round pick on any position better be a good bet to succeed, because it is a far more valuable pick with a much higher success rate than a 2nd and a much better rate than a third.

It says nhl teams finally realize goalies are a crap shoot. Cal Peterson or Carter Hutton can put together seasons better than Carey Price.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
How is this not a personal attack ????

What is a personal attack? A descriptor of the level of research provided for a wild claim?

In all honesty if that offended you I will happily apologize.

Let me rephrase, when you make a ridiculous assertion, and then are asked for a link or some explanation and then you respond with a typo filled nonsense post, that in the small spots that show a response, goalie hit rate, that doesn’t even support your assertion, well then that research is per de half assed. Which just means not well thought out and little effort was put in to support the theory.

It doesn’t mean you are a bad something or anything, it just means what you wrote was literally incoherent and non supportive of your claim to anyone, except apparently @wnysupport. To which I beg him/her to direct message and explain what they thought made sense, because it’s honestly flabbergasting.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
What is a personal attack? A descriptor of the level of research provided for a wild claim?

In all honesty if that offended you I will happily apologize.

Let me rephrase, when you make a ridiculous assertion, and then are asked for a link or some explanation and then you respond with a typo filled nonsense post, that in the small spots that show a response, goalie hit rate, that doesn’t even support your assertion, well then that research is per de half assed. Which just means not well thought out and little effort was put in to support the theory.

It doesn’t mean you are a bad something or anything, it just means what you wrote was literally incoherent and non supportive of your claim to anyone, except apparently @wnysupport. To which I beg him/her to direct message and explain what they thought made sense, because it’s honestly flabbergasting.
Lol, it was more of a sarcastic like. I posted after that explaining as such, but the boards had issues early this morning and it was lost, haha.

Now I just keep it there for the warm and fuzzy feelings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad